Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

seizethedayboys t1_j9tvkgu wrote

I wonder what they could have figured out now that they couldn’t in the last 20 years? Could it be DNA that they’ve just now tested? I know there are backlogs from really old cases for DNA analysis.

Goodeyesniper98 t1_j9uc4xg wrote

Army CID, the main felony investigative agency for the Army, recently started phasing out hundreds of undertrained agents after the Fort Hood scandal. Their enlisted agents were found to have massive training and deficiencies. They got their first civilian director a year ago who hired tons of experienced federal agents from various agencies to help pick up the slack. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the more experienced agents they hired simply noticed something they hadn’t caught before.

tattooed_dinosaur t1_j9uvqyt wrote

Fuck all these military commands who drag their feet investigating, allowing, and covering up crimes against fellow sailors and soldiers to be committed under their watch.

Bisexual_Republican t1_j9vqx77 wrote

Air Force OSI on the other hand has a reputation of being IRS levels of scary at investigative levels.

thefrankyg t1_j9w8oiw wrote

OSI.is.also federally accredited LEO isn't it?

phamio23 t1_j9wneos wrote

Anecdotal, but one my of friends' dad was Air Force OSI and by all accounts they do NOT play around.

krismasstercant t1_j9ty9wu wrote

I mean hell you have someone like Stephanie Lazarus who got away with murder for almost 40 years until the police found new evidence in the case.

WaluigiIsTheRealHero t1_j9u1uub wrote

Lazarus got away with it for so long because she was an LAPD officer and other cops either didn’t really investigate or outright buried evidence of her guilt.

kaloonzu t1_j9u9w4p wrote

And the only reason it was even looked into again was because the LAPD needed to increase its number of cases cleared when crime slowed down in the mid-2000s.

crimson__wolf t1_j9w3w48 wrote

Fuck. The victim's father kept hounding the police chief about the LAPD officer that she was threatening and stalking his daughter just before her murder too! He tried for 5 years then gave up when they told him to stop watching too much television!

Cold case tested the DNA and found it was from a woman, so they dismissed the random robbery idea. Then saw the complaints by the father, then followed the lady officer until she dropped something with her DNA and matched it. Then they told her that someone in county jail had new info on cold case murder, so she went to check it out, but had to surrender her gun to get into county jail. But this was a trap so she wouldn't be armed when they arrested her.

Ok_Store_1983 t1_j9ucmr6 wrote

For anyone interested, her interrogation video on Jim Can't Swim is very interesting. It's clear she went into it thinking it to be routine interview and nothing more.

AintEverLucky t1_j9vscf0 wrote

Am watching this video right now, and you're not wrong, it's fascinating. But I wonder how the investigators avoided that getting tagged as entrapment?

keskeskes1066 t1_j9w886y wrote

That is not entrapment. Entrapment is when, in the most basic sense, it occurs when a government official, such as a police officer, uses threats, fraud, or harassment to induce or coerce someone to commit a crime they wouldn't ordinarily commit.

Oh, and when you claim entrapment as a defense, you have to admit to having committed the crime. That is why politicians always make claims about entrapment in front of a TV camera, but never in front of a judge.

​

BTW, IANAL so YMMV.

Jaytalon98 t1_j9udgre wrote

Forensic genealogy just became possible in the last couple years and so MANY cold cases are being solved when they couldn’t just by DNA alone.

Edit: Word

Edit 2: I can see someone replied but I can’t read it. I just want to clarify that forensic genealogy isn’t just a paternity test. The goal is to find suspects using their family tree data from places like 23 and me. With that data and a professional genealogist, we’re able to better locate suspects where it was not previously possible.

bros402 t1_j9vroo3 wrote

and to clarify, Ancestry.com and 23andme do not allow law enforcement to use their databases for forensic genealogy.

Most of the professionals use a website called GEDMatch, which has around ~800k people who uploaded their raw DNA data that they had performed by sites such as Ancestry, 23andme, Family Tree DNA, and MyHeritage.