Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Standardeviation2 t1_j9u4h5b wrote

“A possible motive was not identified in the document.”

I have a pretty good guess.

flaccidcolon t1_j9ucliu wrote

Pregnancy is the most dangerous time for a woman to be murdered by her partner/baby daddy. :(

GoldGlitters t1_j9v5rc1 wrote

The leading cause of death for pregnant women in the US is homicide.

ETA: The Harvard article is misleading, turns out the #1 cause of death is suicide, followed by homicide at #2, and medical complications (you know, the thing we all assumed was the primary cause of death) is at #3. Both victim types are statistically more likely to deal with significant domestic violence at home, so it's still a major factor whether the woman decides to take her life first versus a partner doing it for them. Original study is here

DoomSongOnRepeat t1_j9vpctq wrote

From the study cited:

>Results: Of 38,417 female victims aged 15-44 years identified in the data set, 10,411 had known pregnancy status; 1,300 of those deaths were pregnancy associated. Of all deaths with known pregnancy status, 3,203 were by homicide (30.8%) and 7,208 (69.2%) were by suicide. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36075083/

kittyinasweater t1_j9vs2tb wrote

So the leading cause of death for pregnant women is suicide, not homicide? Equally sad imo.

HereIGoAgain_1x10 t1_j9x1qex wrote

Wonder how much of that is baseline mental health issues vs pregnancy related hormonal/brain chemistry changes vs family/society pressure about the pregnancy and the idea that they can't live with the "shame" or whatever of being pregnant. How fucking awful of a problem to think about and attempt to solve.

OccamsSchickQuattro t1_j9ydjfo wrote

My wife dealt with some depression during pregnancy and had to be given medication… she does not battle mental health issues at all when not pregnant. The hormonal changes make them go whack on a lot of weird things. My wife will not eat pickles ever… unless pregnant. She had to change her toothpaste for the time being.

There’s so much shit women go through in pregnancy that you cannot understand until you watch your partner go through it. And even then you only understand it on the most basic sympathetic level. You still can’t fully comprehend the idea of your brain and attitude literally changing because of a normal bodily function.

[deleted] t1_j9vwhr1 wrote

[deleted]

dragonsmilkbeer t1_j9vx51r wrote

No idea why you're so upset that your info was corrected. Kind of strange for you to get so defensive.

GoldGlitters t1_j9vymgc wrote

Deleted my comment because I realize I don't fully know what the "1300 deaths are pregnancy related" comment is, because I added up the deaths from suicide and homicide and it landed at 10,411 without the 1,300, so the math doesn't make sense to me.

I'm irritated because you seem to be more interested in going "well actually" with no understanding that these are human beings, not just statistics. You went out of your way to prove it's "technically" incorrect and tbh, without any context on your POV it just seems like you wanted to invalidate the problem of homicide by proving that suicide is actually a worse issue

−4

dragonsmilkbeer t1_j9wbwhi wrote

You don't even know who you're replying to. I didn't write that comment. I think you're projecting HEAVILY onto what they said, and "these are human beings, not just statistics" is pure platitude nonsense. Grow up.

GoldGlitters t1_j9wbza3 wrote

You’re right, you’re not the OP. You’re worse, lmao

−8

Knull_Gorr t1_j9wcma6 wrote

I've got no skin in this game and honestly I don't give a shit. But "you're not the OP. You're worse" is the most comically immature thing I've read in a long time.

dragonsmilkbeer t1_j9wg7uc wrote

Telling me I'm worse at enabling you to defend misinformation is a compliment. Thank you.

GoldGlitters t1_j9wht6h wrote

I literally corrected the article in my comment, what the hell is wrong with you

−4

DoomSongOnRepeat t1_j9yxcqe wrote

What you said wasn't just "technically" incorrect, it was demonstrably false.

It's not going out of one's way to read the study cited in the source you posted. That's the whole reason the study is linked, so that it can be read.

You were fine with the article using statistics when you thought it supported you, so how am I supposedly the one reducing women to statistics for simply quoting part of the study to clear up misinformation you posted?

DemonSemenVaccine t1_j9xgr6d wrote

There have been additional studies done that stretch the time frame of starting as soon as known pregnant to a year after birth. In those studies the #1 is homicide. Women are still very vulnerable after giving birth, plus all the additional stressors. Louisiana did a study for sure, since they have a very high number of maternal/fetal mortalities.

DoomSongOnRepeat t1_j9yue0y wrote

That's the same time frame as the linked study. There have been exactly 0 studies which point to homicide being #1. If there were, they would have been linked when it was pointed out that the study cited in this thread shows suicide as being the #1 cause by a long shot. You could search all day to find a source which supports your assertion, but all you'll find are articles that are misleading at best.

DemonSemenVaccine t1_j9z7jel wrote

https://ldh.la.gov/page/PAMR

You can download the PAMR study at the bottom of the link. From 2017-2019 in Louisiana #1 cause was accidental overdose. Then it was homicide. I wasn't looking at articles, I was looking at actual data that the hospital reports to the state of Louisiana. I currently work and have worked in hospitals in Louisiana and closely with the state. The data from 2020-current does support the statement I made.

−1

DoomSongOnRepeat t1_j9z9nr6 wrote

Those reports don't support your claim either. I guess you assumed I wouldn't bother even reading the relevant sections...

Kevo_NEOhio t1_j9v3azf wrote

Why is that though?

−10

ReachingHigher85 t1_j9vbb9t wrote

I’ll take “men who don’t want to wear condoms but who also don’t want to be fathers OR held financially responsible for their offspring” for 400, Alex.

sb_747 t1_j9wct98 wrote

Generally that’s just not true.

It’s dudes who are already abusive continuing to be abusive.

While pregnant women are less able to defend themselves, less able to run away, and have a greater chance of severe and potential injury.

The pregnancy plays more of a role in the abusive partner feeling the woman is being lazy for not doing the same tasks as quickly and increasing the frequency and severity of abuse as a result.

AnBearna t1_j9vvc58 wrote

And you’d be dead wrong.

It suicide in nearly 70% of cases. Check the statistics in the post above the one you just replied to.

We all seem to want the answer to be ‘it’s violent men’ which is sad because it shows how well we are all getting conditioned into thinking that shit. I mean, that’s where my head went first so I’m criticising myself as much as anyone.

−10

ThatDerp1 t1_j9w1w0s wrote

…but 30 percent were still homicide, most by partners.

And abuse by the partner is pretty common among suicidal pregnant women, and is a common correlation if not cause.

ThrowawayYYZ0137 t1_j9vc33a wrote

There's something about possessive controlling men that feel they can do anything they want with a woman once they've put a baby in her, as if they've now taken or claimed her agency and she no longer has any of her own.

NervousSorbet t1_j9w3gwd wrote

I wonder why they feel that way when that was how it legally went for so long.

Patsfan618 t1_j9vkcky wrote

Men not wanting to be responsible for their part in making a woman pregnant see violence as a way of getting out of that responsibility. In civilian life, they tend to just run away, whatever that may mean. In the military, running away is a jail-able offense, making violence an even more likely option.

It is even more likely if the relationship was unlawful in the first place. In the military there are rules on who can be in a relationship with who, depending on rank primarily. Officers cannot have relations with enlisted and non-commissioned officer (sergeants and above) cannot have relations with lower enlisted. This is because the military understands the unfair power dynamics created by a rank based hierarchy (even if sometimes they chose to ignore these rules for higher ranking soldiers).

A pregnant soldier is extremely vulnerable to domestic violence and it keeps a lot of women from wanting to join the military, and understandably so.

flaccidcolon t1_j9v3h9i wrote

I dont know, it's just a very sad statistic.

Kevo_NEOhio t1_j9v5c73 wrote

True. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole but doesn’t really indicate why a woman would be more likely to be killed in a domestic violence situation of when she is pregnant or not pregnant. It does mention that not having access to proper reproductive healthcare can lead to more risk.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/homicide-leading-cause-of-death-for-pregnant-women-in-u-s/

greenwarr t1_j9wat1b wrote

I’m confused. Stats cited here are about causes of death for pregnant women. Did I miss where it compared likelihood of a pregnant women getting murdered to that of a women who is not pregnant?

And lack of reproductive healthcare leads to more risk of what, getting murdered?

[deleted] t1_j9vjfgs wrote

Why downvote his comment. It's genuine question reddit

AnBearna t1_j9vvr3g wrote

Because it doesn’t mash with the sub’s preconceived notions about all men being violent assholes.

−14

Starlightriddlex t1_j9w8dj0 wrote

No one sane is saying all men are violent assholes. The problem is that the majority of "homicidal" violent assholes happen to be exclusively men. The second leading cause of death for men expecting children is not murder by pregnant wife.

The message should not be "all men are bad" that's ridiculous. Our society has a cultural problem causing these crimes and we need to address it.

VentusHermetis t1_j9vpzjo wrote

Pregnant women are usually young and frequently visiting a doctor. That disconfirms a lot of potential causes of death

CrysisCamaro t1_j9u80br wrote

Someone didn't want to be a baby daddy.

TestDummy987 t1_j9v52ie wrote

Maybe he was married, she was his side girl.

ashesofempires t1_j9v9ngx wrote

Pregnant soldier killed by another soldier. High likelihood that one or both of them were married. The US military takes adultery pretty seriously. If she intended to put his name on the birth certificate and file for child support, there's the potential for the dude to lose his security clearance, get charged with conduct unbecoming, and get discharged and lose his benefits.

He may have felt that murder was a better alternative crime to be charged with than the shit blizzard about to be dropped on him.

Still a monstrous thing to do.

TestDummy987 t1_j9vcogu wrote

This was her first duty station and 19, I’m thinking he was the married one. It’s not uncommon when an NCO grooms new females soldiers. It happened a few times on deployment.

CrysisCamaro t1_j9vtoba wrote

if you go by ages he was like 20 maybe 21. the likelihood of him being an NCO at 20 even in late 2001 is extremely low.

Atralis t1_j9w65w3 wrote

I have to hope this guy wasn't an NCO but....

In my MOS when I was in the most common age that people made E5 was 21 because our promotion points were so low (350) that basically anyone that went to the board got promoted and you could go to the board at 3 years time in service.

We had a high speed guy get promoted while we were deployed that couldn't drink with us when we got back because he was 20.

TestDummy987 t1_j9vvosb wrote

But not impossible. We had a couple E-5’s that were 21. Are you an expert on everything in the army?

−2

JoJoJet- t1_j9y6pbr wrote

Why does the military care so much about who sleeps with who?

ashesofempires t1_j9y99il wrote

In the modern day it is a big deal in the military because it shows a lack of character. That the person cannot be trusted. That they can be tempted or swayed, and their judgment is not good.

The military handles a lot of sensitive, secret equipment and information, and a soldier that makes bad decisions in their personal life can carry that into their professional life. It also provides an opportunity for espionage to leverage that against them. "I know you're having an affair, I'll keep quiet if you tell me how this secret device works, or bring me the manual for the new widget."

It also really fucks with unit cohesion, as soldiers deployed have to worry about whether their loved ones are having an affair with another soldier while they are gone. It is distracting and dangerous.

So the military takes it seriously, and enforces it as a crime.

There's also some historical reasons on it that have to do with honor and some religious underpinnings.

JoJoJet- t1_j9y9ez4 wrote

> It also provides an opportunity for espionage to leverage that against them. "I know you're having an affair, I'll keep quiet if you tell me how this secret device works, or bring me the manual for the new widget."

> It also really fucks with unit cohesion, as soldiers deployed have to worry about whether their loved ones are having an affair with another soldier while they are gone

That makes sense I guess.

ashesofempires t1_j9yapm6 wrote

Its not widely known, but part of the review process for a security clearance is to see if a person has any history that could be used against them as leverage. Large debts, gambling habits, affairs, unsavory/embarrassing sexual habits, etc. These are all taken as signs that either the person has poor judgment or impulse control, or can be manipulated. It can mean being denied a clearance, or losing an existing clearance.

An example of why the government takes security clearances so seriously is Aldrich Ames. He was compromised by heavy debts and his affairs.

[deleted] t1_j9ubxg2 wrote

[removed]

−199

kilgorevontrouty t1_j9ue5si wrote

Are you saying this is a trait specific to men or just humanity? Establishing a motive is necessary to prosecute and prevent crime, or am I wrong? It feels pretty fundamental to discussing crime and why it happened.

CrysisCamaro t1_j9ufk6h wrote

You aren't wrong. And in this case it with the known facts there are only really 2 possible motives if its not a random killing. 1 he didn't want to be a baby daddy or 2 they were in a relationship and kid wasn't his. 1 of them calls the victim a cheater and since we have no info towards that I didn't mention it.

4gotOldU-name t1_j9vt9ds wrote

That's ridiculous. There are a thousand other reasons she could have been killed that have nothing to do with being the father of that child besides "random". Or even her being pregnant.

The fact that you state that it being "random" is a possibility discounts there only being two other reasons (the ones you mentioned).

8BitSk8r t1_j9ugj84 wrote

People always try and figure out a motive. You can be disgusted at the act and want to know what was going on in the mind of the perpetrator at the same time.

smileymalaise t1_j9uuez3 wrote

No, he thinks people get locked up for being too icky and not for actual reasons.

Just read the profile. 100% a troll.

CMDR_Squashface t1_j9ux4wf wrote

Yep. Knowing helps identify patterns in killings in general, and turns out, it's not just something done by dudes, not sure what that person thinks is happening here

Standardeviation2 t1_j9uh7sa wrote

If one can figure out motive, and then at a larger scale patterns in motives in killers, one can create preventative measures to protect people. That’s something you can’t do if you just throw your arms up and say “Some people just suck.”

wirecats t1_j9ujgkr wrote

How does "that guy is just a disgusting individual" help anyone in the future? If you know what motivates these people, you can maybe do something about guys who exhibit the same problematic behaviors in the future. Like at the very least, it doesn't harm anyone to know. And at the very most, it saves lives. So what's the problem with asking here

puddingfoot t1_j9ukku2 wrote

Establishing a motive is crucial to convicting someone of murder, and generally valuable for understanding (and preventing) crime. Get off your high horse.

serrol_ t1_j9x1g38 wrote

For those not putting two and two together like I wasn't: Shannon is a guy, oddly enough. This article partially obfuscates things by only mentioning "he" twice in the entire article, but no other defining words, so if you scanned instead of reading intently, you could easily miss the fact that Shannon isn't a woman.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect-arrest-shannon-wilkerson-cold-case-murder-amanda-gonzales-soldier-military-base-germany-2001/

flaccidcolon t1_j9u29a0 wrote

Bastard thought he got away with it for all these years. Rot in jail, fucker.

AintEverLucky t1_j9vlbmb wrote

Unfortunately, he DID get away with it, for 2 decades and change. It's one thing for this guy to do this (allegedly) at age 20, get caught right away, tried, convicted and sentenced to life, when "life" means the next 40 to 50 years, assuming they avoid shanked or whatever.

it's a whole other thing for all of this to go down when the guy is age 42, assuming he even gets convicted. He already got to live "a normal life" for 22 years. But I wonder if the victim being a soldier, and/or the murder taking place in Germany, raises or lowers the chances this guy could face the death penalty instead.

SpiritPaper t1_j9vmi4x wrote

Life in jail after 40 isn't going to be fun either. When he's in his 60s, instead of retirement, he's in a cell.

bros402 t1_j9vrbjj wrote

Life in prison at 40 is still gonna suck. Hope his family lives long.

patricksaurus t1_j9u1xkc wrote

Oh wow, I think I remember this! I had just met a girl who had lived in Hanau. We were around the same age as Amanda Gonzales, and she had a “that could be me” moment. Memory is funny, but I remember following this story.

I hope her family gets some comfort from seeing that we haven’t given up on the idea of justice for their daughter.

seizethedayboys t1_j9tvkgu wrote

I wonder what they could have figured out now that they couldn’t in the last 20 years? Could it be DNA that they’ve just now tested? I know there are backlogs from really old cases for DNA analysis.

Goodeyesniper98 t1_j9uc4xg wrote

Army CID, the main felony investigative agency for the Army, recently started phasing out hundreds of undertrained agents after the Fort Hood scandal. Their enlisted agents were found to have massive training and deficiencies. They got their first civilian director a year ago who hired tons of experienced federal agents from various agencies to help pick up the slack. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the more experienced agents they hired simply noticed something they hadn’t caught before.

tattooed_dinosaur t1_j9uvqyt wrote

Fuck all these military commands who drag their feet investigating, allowing, and covering up crimes against fellow sailors and soldiers to be committed under their watch.

Bisexual_Republican t1_j9vqx77 wrote

Air Force OSI on the other hand has a reputation of being IRS levels of scary at investigative levels.

thefrankyg t1_j9w8oiw wrote

OSI.is.also federally accredited LEO isn't it?

phamio23 t1_j9wneos wrote

Anecdotal, but one my of friends' dad was Air Force OSI and by all accounts they do NOT play around.

krismasstercant t1_j9ty9wu wrote

I mean hell you have someone like Stephanie Lazarus who got away with murder for almost 40 years until the police found new evidence in the case.

WaluigiIsTheRealHero t1_j9u1uub wrote

Lazarus got away with it for so long because she was an LAPD officer and other cops either didn’t really investigate or outright buried evidence of her guilt.

kaloonzu t1_j9u9w4p wrote

And the only reason it was even looked into again was because the LAPD needed to increase its number of cases cleared when crime slowed down in the mid-2000s.

crimson__wolf t1_j9w3w48 wrote

Fuck. The victim's father kept hounding the police chief about the LAPD officer that she was threatening and stalking his daughter just before her murder too! He tried for 5 years then gave up when they told him to stop watching too much television!

Cold case tested the DNA and found it was from a woman, so they dismissed the random robbery idea. Then saw the complaints by the father, then followed the lady officer until she dropped something with her DNA and matched it. Then they told her that someone in county jail had new info on cold case murder, so she went to check it out, but had to surrender her gun to get into county jail. But this was a trap so she wouldn't be armed when they arrested her.

Ok_Store_1983 t1_j9ucmr6 wrote

For anyone interested, her interrogation video on Jim Can't Swim is very interesting. It's clear she went into it thinking it to be routine interview and nothing more.

AintEverLucky t1_j9vscf0 wrote

Am watching this video right now, and you're not wrong, it's fascinating. But I wonder how the investigators avoided that getting tagged as entrapment?

keskeskes1066 t1_j9w886y wrote

That is not entrapment. Entrapment is when, in the most basic sense, it occurs when a government official, such as a police officer, uses threats, fraud, or harassment to induce or coerce someone to commit a crime they wouldn't ordinarily commit.

Oh, and when you claim entrapment as a defense, you have to admit to having committed the crime. That is why politicians always make claims about entrapment in front of a TV camera, but never in front of a judge.

​

BTW, IANAL so YMMV.

Jaytalon98 t1_j9udgre wrote

Forensic genealogy just became possible in the last couple years and so MANY cold cases are being solved when they couldn’t just by DNA alone.

Edit: Word

Edit 2: I can see someone replied but I can’t read it. I just want to clarify that forensic genealogy isn’t just a paternity test. The goal is to find suspects using their family tree data from places like 23 and me. With that data and a professional genealogist, we’re able to better locate suspects where it was not previously possible.

bros402 t1_j9vroo3 wrote

and to clarify, Ancestry.com and 23andme do not allow law enforcement to use their databases for forensic genealogy.

Most of the professionals use a website called GEDMatch, which has around ~800k people who uploaded their raw DNA data that they had performed by sites such as Ancestry, 23andme, Family Tree DNA, and MyHeritage.

philster666 t1_j9uy77g wrote

Justice may sometimes be late, but it is always welcome

AintEverLucky t1_j9vm8ai wrote

"The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceeding fine" O:-)

what_no_ice t1_j9wdzu4 wrote

Holy shit, I was on that base 2 years later and never heard about this.

riding_tides t1_j9vujqf wrote

Will he be tried in military court since he was in the army then? Will Germany also request for him to be extradited since the crime was on German soil? Genuinely curious.

Though, that scum deserves to rot in a US prison than the much better German prisons -- German prisons focus on rehabilitation and are more humane.

greenwarr t1_j9wc28s wrote

US courts probably couldn’t get a conviction, military courts don’t care about the plight of women service members. Let him spend the rest of his life in a cell in Germany.

We need to disconnect forcing suffering upon the convicted from bringing them to justice.

stlredditblues t1_j9xkvj1 wrote

Considering that Status Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) usually means that Service Members stationed in Germany would still fall under UCMJ rules, when crimes are committed, this guy wouldn’t be extradited, nor would the Germans seek extradition. If the victim was German, then maybe they would.

greenwarr t1_j9z9qk1 wrote

Get outta here with your logic! No place for that in speculation Reddit.

Aside used to enjoy the Blue notes. I have fond memories of my first NHL game, Blues v Rangers in the Garden. Wasn’t my Stars, but worth it.

Ynwe t1_j9xashr wrote

We rarely do life sentences here in Germany. Good chance he will be out in around 15 years or so if he is out in prison here.

greenwarr t1_j9za4uk wrote

Interesting. Now I’m curious what sentences for murderers of pregnant young women would get across the planet now. Of course, I think punishment is known as not an effective deterrent. At least not for those convicted of crimes, it’s not.

Fragrant_University7 t1_j9yblv0 wrote

I got to my first duty station in wurzbug, Germany (about an hour away) only a few weeks after this happened. There were flyers all over the bases asking for information. It blew my mind because, as a fresh private at only 18 years old, I didn’t realize that there were crimes being committed just like the civilian world. I hope this guy rots if he’s guilty.

ChaoticRoar t1_j9x6drd wrote

Tragic, make sure the killers answers for this.

Crumbdizzle t1_j9uo2x6 wrote

Always thought Shannon was a girls name

Lifeboatb t1_j9xati2 wrote

The cartoonist who created this character is a male Shannon. I’ve met him so I knew; funny to think that some people might assume all his cartoons are by a woman.