Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Pascalwb t1_jcjzof7 wrote

Finally, it took a long time but finally. It is really good deal, as we didn't use that garbage anymore anyway as we could not service it.

dragon38 t1_jck28i3 wrote

thats good what about pilots does Ukraine have some as it takes a fair amount of training and flight time to be a competent pilot. Our Navy pilot program is 18-24 months just for basic qualifications advance training takes even longer. Sure they could cut alot of the non-essentials out but still going to need

Stratafyre t1_jck4efu wrote

Ukraine already uses the MIG-29 - so they will have pilots familiar with the equipment and ready to go.

This is actually ideal in the short term, as they are NOT currently trained with Western aircraft.

dasherchan t1_jck4oo0 wrote

About time for US to join the party.

President Biden, we appreciate your full support and unconditional help from the very start. But if you are going to help Ukraine, GO BIG!! Send the F16 please.

CloudTransit t1_jckggbt wrote

I heard a story from a YouTube video of a panel at Yale (hosted by Marci Shore and Timothy Snyder) that Ukraine was flying their jets at all times at the beginning of the war. So, there are many pilots per jet getting lots of experience. They ready

Bagellord t1_jckk3qm wrote

I imagine that they probably have more pilots than usable aircraft at any one time. Combat aircraft are very complicated to keep in a ready state, so you're going to have aircraft that are unable to be used. Adding more aircraft or even just spare parts is going to enable them to increase their sorties.

Regular aircraft require a significant amount of maintenance just to fly safely, now add even more systems to that - radar, more communication gear, countermeasure/defensive systems, then the weapons, and it gets even worse. Then when you look at fighters, that can undergo extreme stresses, it compounds everything.

1QAte4 t1_jcko24w wrote

Every time Ukraine asks for a new weapon system, there is a lot of debate but they eventually get it. We have seen this song and dance with HIMARs, and tanks before.

During the "debate" phase both Ukraine and the western allies are preparing for the systems to come over.

ytarinasven t1_jckrjmx wrote

Why wouldn't we want an escalation of conflict between nuclear powers via proxy warfare?

−14

Warlornn t1_jcky3iy wrote

I think one F35 would actually do more than six F-16's.

There's just so much AAA in Ukraine right now, I don't see non-stealth jets being able to do much before getting shot down.

But one F-35 could go anywhere and bomb anything. One or two times per day you could have a near guaranteed destruction of something major that the Russians have behind the front lines. Troop shelters, train stations, big ammo dumps that are too far for HIMARS. All of those would be great for an F-35.

Not that it'll actually happen. It won't. But it would be awesome if it did.

canada432 t1_jckz73t wrote

It's one of the reasons western countries haven't been sending things like F-16s and F-15s. Ukrainian pilots are already familiar with the MIG-29, SU-24, SU-25, and SU-27. Giving them entirely new planes wasn't all that useful because they'd have to train pilots from scratch on them. But these are perfect because no training is necessary.

DDukedesu t1_jcl9sla wrote

No f-35 is flying so far behind Russian lines that it can hit targets beyond HIMARS range. Russia still has a fuckton of antiair, and all it takes is one lucky radar crew to spot an f35. Stealth does not mean invisible.

DDukedesu t1_jclb3gl wrote

Ukraine can (and currently does) conduct low flying sorties to engage ground armor, other aircraft (e.g. helicopters), or even just to chuck some unguided rockets in the general direction of Russians. F-16 can do this just fine. More aircraft means more potential to hit and saturate air defenses. USA is already supplying HARM missiles to Ukraine, so a lot of Russian radars / SAMs are operating blind to avoid being seen.

Warlornn t1_jclbx36 wrote

I watch videos of this way every single day. I have yet to see a video of Ukranian jets engaging ground armor.

Even their helos do that angle-up rocket attack thing that hits nothing (Russia does it too).

Your last sentence also contradicts your previous post.

DDukedesu t1_jclfdf5 wrote

There is a difference between Radar near the front being quiet to avoid detection, and radar 150-200+ mi away scanning the skies. So no, I wasn't being contradictory.

Ukraine has released very little combat footage from their Migs, so I'm surprised there's enough footage available for you to review videos of Ukrainian jets on a daily basis. Just because we haven't seen footage of a Mig engaging a tank, doesn't mean it hasn't already happened.

Edit: HARM maximum operational range is ~140mi (fired high, so actual range is much lower based on the actual elevations Ukrainians are operating at). Russians can safely park radar and SAMs 150 miles out and not have to worry about HARM or HIMARS at this time.

−1

RaffiaWorkBase t1_jcmnj5r wrote

"Build a golden bridge for your enemy to retreat across."

This seems kinda the opposite of that. His only way of avoiding the warrant, long term, is to stay in power.

Hopefully he just gets pushed out of a window before it becomes a question.

SocialWinker t1_jcnnzvb wrote

For what it’s worth, it’s a fleet of 11 planes, many of which are going for parts because they’re not operational. And I believe Ukraine already flies the mig-29, so I would assume they have the pilots for whatever of these can fly.