Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SofieTerleska t1_je8g8ox wrote

I'm very glad he beat Oz but it's getting increasingly uncomfortable to see this getting the relentlessly positive spin. He's broadening the Senate by using speech to text! He's bringing awareness to mental health issues! None of those are bad things but it's one thing to have a handle on your disability and choose to start a campaign vs. getting knocked down by a goddamn stroke mid-campaign and be figuring out your recovery and the Senate environment at the same time. That's too much to cope with. Being hospitalized for depression for weeks is very, very far out of the norm and makes me think he either has very, very serious mental shit going on or they were trying to hide physical fallout from his stroke. I would be really surprised if he isn't hospitalized again within a few months. I hope I'm wrong, I wish him only the best, but what he's contending with right now is insane.

Crumblymumblybumbly t1_jea562r wrote

This pearl-clutching faux concern is what's insane.

The dude got treatment and has been cleared by medical professionals. You are not one of them.

Time to stop blowing this situation out of proportion. Fetterman can write legislation and pass bills. That's all he needs to do .

CouchRadish t1_je8gr9i wrote

I sense a very distinct sharing between that forced positivity towards a Senator spending months institutionalized with depression and modern self-care ✨ mentalities of being okay with things like throwing away the majority of your personal responsibilities for the sake of mental stability.

−37

km89 t1_je8koaz wrote

>modern self-care ✨ mentalities of being okay with things like throwing away the majority of your personal responsibilities for the sake of mental stability.

Do you need a mop to clean up the condescension you just dripped all over the floor?

Dude's been hospitalized for weeks. This is either a suicide attempt or fallout from his stroke, or both. Question his current fitness to hold office all you want, but throwing away your mental health for the sake of impressing people who would approve of that is just fucking stupid.

CouchRadish t1_je8mo3e wrote

You might picking up all your straw? I never dismissed him for having to be hospitalized for depression (to be frank the only ones dismissing that are the people clamoring for him to be back to working in the Senate). I was dismissing the people forcing positivity on this situation by trying to rephrase everything they had to change to let a stroke victim in recovery do his job as a senator as a positive.

−24