Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Fluffybunnykitten t1_isyoid6 wrote

Since WW2? I wonder if there’s any data on any spikes in cancer cases from students that went there.

julieannie t1_isysuii wrote

My parents lived there, went to school there, played in the creek and I ended up with cancer. Could easily just be shit luck but without studies we’ll never know.

miserystate t1_isz4igk wrote

I just realized this as well, my mom and dad were both raised here and both got cancer (mom died) and I had cancer when I was 17. Shiiiiitttt. Why didn’t I think of this before??

Ditovontease t1_isz9p38 wrote

dak4f2 t1_it15iya wrote

Jesus Christ.

>Another tragic and bizarre occurrence has been unfolding in Bridgeton, Missouri. In 1973, approximately 47,000 tons of the same legacy radioactive waste was moved from Latty Avenue and was illegally dumped into a neighborhood landfill named West Lake. This landfill became an EPA Superfund site in 1990. For the last seven years, an uncontrolled, subsurface fire has been moving towards an area where the radioactive waste was buried. The community’s fear is that fire will meet the radioactive particles. These particles will then attach to smoldering vapor and become airborne, migrating off-site and contaminating communities miles away.

Im_ready_hbu t1_it1d25b wrote

Bro I'm just trying to go to bed why you gotta terrify me like this

Ditovontease t1_isz9gj9 wrote

Have you seen Atomic Homeland? Its a documentary about St Louis and all the people that have gotten cancer there.

Be ready to get fucking angry.

SomethingElse521 t1_isysuzz wrote

There are statistically significant high levels of cancer in the area in and around coldwater creek.

Source: live in st louis

Yanlex t1_iszdv8x wrote

It was literally declared a superfund site 30yrs ago. That shouldn't be surprising in and of itself.

I wish they released the actual measured amounts detected. It says they detected "22x the amount of radioactive lead-210 expected at the playground". Uhh... what exactly is the "expected amount" of radioactive material that is found at an elementary playground?

EDIT: Here is the actual report. Its pretty bad. They specifically call out the Army Corps of Engineers for doing a negligent job on earlier testing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/124fnZz3VJ2KozmhmbYiiedqaPKetRST9/view

Kagrok t1_iszitc9 wrote

>Uhh... what exactly is the "expected amount" of radioactive material that is found at an elementary playground?

Background radiation is everywhere. The US averages about 3mSv/yr

https://radwatch.berkeley.edu/background-radiation/

Yanlex t1_iszj2hs wrote

Yes, but they are talking about radioactive materials being present: lead-210, polonium, and radium. The 22x amount specifically for the lead-210, not radiation level in general.

zer1223 t1_iszkz99 wrote

There's a tiny bit of that stuff everywhere, yes. And I mean really really tiny

−1

Yanlex t1_iszmnjo wrote

No, there is not radioactive lead and polonium everywhere.

−9

razorirr t1_iszzhz5 wrote

Yeah there is for lead 210. Its a naturally occuring trace element in soil.

Dig up the ground on your property, send it for analysis, and they will find some amount of it. In the vast majority of places this amount will be so small, it wont matter.

Same goes for polonium 210.

The numbers are tiny, but they are not 0

DiscountFoodStuffs t1_it05rse wrote

Lol what? Google: Polonium-210 and lead-210 in the terrestrial environment: a historical review or Occurrence and Geochemistry of Lead-210 and Polonium-210 Radionuclides in Public-Drinking-Water Supplies from Principal Aquifers of the United States

bretto2004 t1_iszwjhm wrote

Are you stating a horrible fact, or genuinely sleep better at night thinking that only "tiny" amounts somehow don't cause cancer?

−9

Mend1cant t1_it04uyq wrote

I mean, tiny amounts don’t necessarily cause cancer. It really depends on how tiny it is. Radiation effects aren’t a black and white thing at low levels. Airline pilots are exposed to radiation at a higher level than most people working next to nuclear reactors just from background.

ChumaxTheMad t1_iszwvm5 wrote

The local issue has been govt refusal to admit/recognize/study the issue (of leaks in Coldwater into the wider watershed and the superfund site actively harming communities around it, which the govt actively denied) and especially to help the victims. Maybe we're getting a bit closer now. I live really close to this and I really hope I luck out of it.

kapootaPottay t1_it0oznc wrote

I'm furious! 1. engineers can't create an accurate Superfund boundary? 2. They are just realizing it now??? A Fuckin Geiger Counter that a 4 year old can operate while walking in the woods;

"paw? it's clicking."

ChumaxTheMad t1_it0pbd2 wrote

A lot of these sites are engaged in active cover-up in order to not have to deal with the associated costs, especially bc a lot of it should be paying to relocate people. Especially ones located near poor and indigenous communities. There's a history and legacy of this kind of bullshit with superfund sites.

DarkSideMoon t1_it2url9 wrote

Every time I read something about the Corps of Engineers it blows my mind how such a rogue, corrupt, fraudulent, and frankly criminal organization can continue to operate with almost total impunity. What they did with dams in the middle of the 20th century was criminal. They openly admitted to lying to Congress about how much money it would take to rebuild the levees in New Orleans after Katrina so they could build them to a higher spec.

Fluffybunnykitten t1_iszab65 wrote

Interesting, hopefully there can be a class action lawsuit brought forward for the people affected.

Podo13 t1_isz11gh wrote

They made a documentary about the area like 5-ish years ago. Atomic Homefront is what it's called IIRC.

Pro_CD_47 t1_iszioog wrote

I can't seem to find the self reported disease map of the floodplain that covers the Coldwater creek neighborhood. But here is an abc news article about the federal agency that documented increase cancer and disease risk.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/final-report-confirms-coldwater-creek-cancer-risk-62752639#amp_agsa_csa=49326498&amp_ct=1666212571391&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16662125416241&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

You should look into the Westlake landfill. That's where all the waste that was at Coldwater creek ended up. Now it's on fire underground. It's classified as a subsurface smoldering event. Luckily the flairs they added is keeping the air somewhat clean in the area.

kapootaPottay t1_it0qwot wrote

responsible parties that have been identified for Operable Units 1 and 3 for the West Lake Landfill site are Bridgeton Landfill, LLC; Cotter Corporation (N.S.L.); and the U.S. Department of Energy. Bridgeton Landfill, LLC is the owner and/or operator of the site.

kapootaPottay t1_it0miaf wrote

Undoubtedly! Folks! We're looking at the new SUPERFUND SITE, due to radiation hitching rides on water molecules. Land: 500meter radius Land at lower elevations, even 2 centimetres: 100% Aquifers; Well water at 1kilometer radius - more if well.is at lower elevation.

kapootaPottay t1_it0n64i wrote

find out by contacting the funded law firms involved in class-action ... they Must have it. Sign up now!