Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thefugue t1_j60yurq wrote

It’s not as if he was going to be anywhere but prison while it was being handled- he didn’t have free time for anyone to waste.

TheSammyMac t1_j610l5u wrote

Yeah I get you, it's just not efficient.

wart_on_satans_dick t1_j61aj91 wrote

Five years is a long time but I will say so many things have to come together to get a fair trial in such a serious case. Covid may have also been a factor, as a lot of components involved in criminal cases required people who were justifiably staying home.

blahbleh112233 t1_j61gwk3 wrote

In this case it's obvious the guy is guilty. But if there was a legit doubt and he wasn't? It would be insane we imprisoned an innocent person for 5 years cause we couldn't get our shit together.

wart_on_satans_dick t1_j61jmwa wrote

It would be, but it would be better than life imprisonment or the death penalty depending on the state or federal decision if wrongfully convicted of eight homicides. It's not about getting our shit together. It's about being able to have a clear and accurate record of evidence as well as a fair trial. Like I mentioned, I suspect Covid played a factor in the delay as well. Keep in mind the murders were alleged to aid in racketeering and appeal to ISIS. That requires a good amount of discovery I'd imagine. This is not a normal case.

Advice2Anyone t1_j62omak wrote

I mean you have a right to a speedy trial but I imagine if you know the outcome staying as long as possible in jail versus prison is probably the game you want to play