Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CleverNomDePlume t1_iwhzh9e wrote

Say goodbye to songbirds and any bird that nests in the area.

There are bans to weasels as pets, in many areas, because they are so destructive to non native environments. Even one getting loose can reign havoc. This is definitely enough to maintain a breeding popatuon. I hope that they are at least a native type to the area.

You'd think that a facility that had so many of them would need some security to make sure things like this wouldn't happen, since the consequences can be so severe environmentally.

IlluminatedPickle t1_iwjgf2k wrote

You can't even own rabbits in my state of Australia.

CleverNomDePlume t1_iwk1ell wrote

The story I heard (USA public education), about rabbits in Australia, was that they aren't native, and are a big problem with native ecosystems. I heard that some British governor imported them, so that he and his cronies could have their jolly, gentilemanly hunts.

FrederickBishop t1_iwk4h9u wrote

Yep, same with foxes

CleverNomDePlume t1_iwk5c7n wrote

I'm picturing this Gov'ner dude showing up and being like, "whatever shall I hunt to pass the time?" And then looks at the native wildlife, and is just like "nope" and then sends to daddy's estate to have foxes and bunnies shipped in.

Swarbie8D t1_iwki3ij wrote

I mean, essentially yeah. I guess kangaroos and emus are too intimidating compared to the usual small game they hunted. Our troubles on the mainland (Tasmania had a rabbit problem first) stems from just 24 rabbits that were released. For a while they were kept under control by native predators but natural selection meant that they got hardier, until we had a population explosion. In the 1950s we deliberately spread a rabbit-killing virus, which worked for a bit, but they’ve adapted partial immunity to that now.

Screamingholt t1_iwkm7t6 wrote

Heh, now they get given rabbit aids/Ebola. And as horrible as that may sound, is still only making a dent in their population

IlluminatedPickle t1_iwl343j wrote

Don't forget that the Americans had a Shakespeare based animal society that introduced a lot of stupid things like starlings to North America that now devastate regions.

mickelboy182 t1_iwkpn23 wrote

I'm an Aussie and had no idea owning them was banned in QLD. Wild!

IlluminatedPickle t1_iwkpqdy wrote

I found it wild when I moved to WA and people just didn't give a shit. They were like "oh look at that cute little wild rabbit!"

"uhhh you mean terrible invasive species we should want to kill on sight, right?"

"... You monster!"

mickelboy182 t1_iwkq371 wrote

I'm in Victoria and they are fucking EVERYWHERE around my parents place in the outer burbs. Good thing is they are suicidal on the roads and end up getting run over by accident (and sometimes not I'm sure) a lot.

IlluminatedPickle t1_iwkq9ei wrote

Yeah, it's wild in a few states how lacking the feral/invasive control is.

WA had foxes just roaming through my suburb in Perth, you'd call the council and they were like "and?"

"and they're eating all the fucking turtle eggs you wankers are spending my tax dollars trying to protect, fucking shoot them"

AmidFuror t1_iwjpxrm wrote

We wreak havoc, and we reign over.

CleverNomDePlume t1_iwk1y2d wrote

I'll keep that in mind. Nonsarcastically, thanks. I know my grammar isn't ways the best.

Itchy_Focus_4500 t1_iwk3fto wrote

The Mink is indigenous to North America. They are not pet weasels. I agree with you that it’s an ecological Nightmare.

bleepbloorpmeepmorp t1_iwj1d9t wrote

maybe the facility shouldn't exist in the first place

−2

Arkanslayer t1_iwjlq3f wrote

There are better ways to fight it than letting them out. Now thousands and thousands more animals will die. The person that did it deserves a lobotomy.

TheWanderingSlacker t1_iwjuwgh wrote

If tens of thousands of mink were released, it’ll be hundreds of thousands of animals killed. Minks are voracious killers. I’d be surprised if anything smaller than a Labrador remains there in a matter of months.

CleverNomDePlume t1_iwk0xh7 wrote

I agree with you. The risk of them getting loose and the issues that will follow are so large that whatever tax dollars they brought in from the business are wiped out. And that's keeping the issue of animal welfare to the side and just looking at a cold cost breakdown.