Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RevolutionaryDiet602 t1_j0xzu9n wrote

Apparently he forgot to actually read the Bible....

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." -Matthew 19:24

Random_Average__Guy t1_j0y3e53 wrote

I don’t think any of them read the bible they just hold it up in the air and tell people what they believe is in it,now shut the hell up and put the %10 in the collection plate!

Zachbnonymous t1_j0zplrw wrote

Oh they read it. They have to in order to find verses to warp and bend to make it seem like they need a private jet or a second mansion for God

froggison t1_j0zik17 wrote

Needles were actually much bigger back then. Jesus was remarking about how easy it is for rich people to get into heaven.

Minuted t1_j0zupmg wrote

There's actually some debate about the passage, one idea being that the needle was a gate in ancient Jerusalem (Damascus?), another that it was a mistranslation for some sort of rope, but a lot of alternate theories have been debunked. ReligionForBreakfast has a really good video on it on YouTube. Great channel.

Angdrambor t1_j0zk3j5 wrote

Yee in those days, we were weaving textiles for giants, and the thread was so heavy you really did need a camel to pull it.

RevolutionaryDiet602 t1_j0zks6j wrote

I disagree. Sewing needles of that time would have likely been made from copper or iron and at a thickness of .35mm. They were larger than modern sewing needles certainly, but still quite small relative to a camel....or a banana, depending on your unit of measurement.

Source

sandyman88 t1_j0zztj7 wrote

Jokes on you, camels can get through the eye of the needle just fine, they just don’t like to because it requires crawling on their knees 😂

Kromgar t1_j11a4jb wrote

The needle is really a gate thats easy to pass through