Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Drawyourguns t1_j60enmz wrote

As long as they are high in cholesterol, I’m fine with it.

x-munk t1_j60fktn wrote

Seems like a perfectly reasonable article to me. Egg replacements are especially easy to use in baking where you're looking for a binding ingredient more than anything else.

jermleeds t1_j60fwlx wrote

I mean eggs are just chains of protein and some fat. We've had egg substitutes for baking for years. If there's any animal product which should be able to be widely replaced with a synthetic substitute, its eggs.

imll99 t1_j60ofir wrote

How is this Oniony?

Able_Buffalo t1_j61gzet wrote

I bought 6 chicks for $4.99 ea at the beginning of the pandemic. 3 years later we're averaging 3 to 5 eggs a day when they're not molting. Kids love the experience. The eggs are delicious. A 50 lb. bag of feed lasts a month and only costs $15. It lasts even longer during the warm months. So my cost is less than 50 cents a day. Great investment, they're all Plymouth Barred Rock hens from Tractor Supply

BugMiserable3924 t1_j626hkw wrote

Ah, the old dilemma of what came first" The chicken or the Mung Bean

RetroSurfer11 OP t1_j62v9g6 wrote

The article called them egg products, not me:

> plant based egg products. Those are usually soy or bean based liquids that resemble scrambled eggs when you cook them up.

It's oniony. Possibly even illegal because it's misleading, or false advertising, not sure...

−15

screaminjj t1_j63bq3l wrote

It really depends on what you’re doing. Tofu scramble can be made to taste and have the mouth feel very close to scrambled eggs. Justegg is a product that is perfectly fine for crepes. A big ass omelette though? Yeah, I don’t think I want a justegg omelette.

kereberos t1_j63y73n wrote

I would call that a pretty small opportunity..

notthebestchristian t1_j64t19u wrote

No, high egg prices and recent changes in laws regarding chickens in urban areas will lead to a boom of at home producers.

Rookie007 t1_j651rz8 wrote

Plant based eggs are the worst plant based substitute by far

Rookie007 t1_j669sdb wrote

I dream of doing this but like along my whole street to get a good-sized chicken coop that we all have a neighborhood watch to keep coyotes out. Then you always have an excuse to drink with the boys

FriedBack t1_j67f2ks wrote

Theres lots of ways to replace eggs in baking. But Im not about to eat some Boca Egg tm