Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_j7br2ae wrote

NYC is definitely NYC without Bronx. A lot of people never go to the Bronx, myself included. When we do it’s for Yankees games.

−7

woodcider t1_j7btr5g wrote

The Bronx is the home of Hip Hop which is integral to NYC culture. Many old school entertainers and comedians came from the Bronx. The Bronx holds its own even if people are pedestrian.

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_j7buxyi wrote

New Jersey is the home of Thomas Edison’s research lab, which commercialized the lightbulb. The lightbulb is integral to NYC culture. No one considers NJ an integral part of NYC.

truthofmasks t1_j7c697w wrote

> No one considers NJ an integral part of NYC.

Unsurprisingly, I've met some people from Jersey who do.

actualtext t1_j7caqep wrote

This seems so wrong to me. What exactly is New York to you? Just the parts you visit frequently?

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_j7d1s7i wrote

I live in Manhattan and don’t know anyone that goes to the Bronx aside for Yankees games. There’s extremely few reasons to go to the Bronx unless you live there

-_SophiaPetrillo_- t1_j7d54e0 wrote

Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Fordham, all the “hill schools”, Bronx science, wave hill, Van Cortlandt park, orchard beach, city island, Arthur Avenue (the true little Italy). Just to name a few. 😂😂😂😂

Rottimer t1_j7gja6l wrote

It's hilarious, because the richest people in the tri-state area send their kids to private schools in the Bronx. Riverdale Country, Horace Mann, Ethical Fieldston. . . all with tuition rates that rival Ivy League colleges.

Yourgrandsonishere t1_j7dd48p wrote

Hip hop was born in the bronx, shich gave way to rap.

Dj’ing too and a lot more. They got the best Xoo and an amazing garden.

I won’t lie though, bx a little scary at times lmao, but BX is ingrained into NYC.

The list is much longer, maybe others can chime in.

Rottimer t1_j7gilgw wrote

Yeah, except for, you know, all the people that live there, which is just shy of the number of people that live in Manhattan.

liondactyl t1_j7cd487 wrote

There’s no reason to go to the other outer boroughs than the one you live in.

I’m from Queens and I’ve lived in Manhattan, the Bronx, and I work in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn has a distinct culture compared to all the other boroughs. Much more homey and like it’s own small city. This makes sense given Brooklyn’s history.

New York is Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx, SI, and parts of North Jersey. These are places that are only as populated as they are because of New York City expansion. Brooklyn would have been developed as its own city without New York, and it has the character of a distinct town. All of the other surrounding areas needed NYC to develop their culture and so they all share a similar New York vibe.

−5