Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

FarFromSane_ t1_j7ane6u wrote

“This is a 1241st St-bound 2 train step in stand clear”

anObscurity t1_j7b5v24 wrote

Someone out in Crotonville: “I live uptown”

AnacharsisIV t1_j7bwc7m wrote

Not for nothing I live very close to the Yonkers border and it only goes up to like 260th st or so.

Freddy-Sez t1_j7bdnel wrote

That’s not correct. The referendum in this article was for the “Town of Westchester” which is part of the modern-day Bronx. Not the same as the area we now know as Westchester County

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_j7azv6b wrote

My dad was born in '25, so his dad- my grandad- immigrated to the City of Brooklyn. My aunts and uncles all still say when referring to Manhattan not "I'm going to the City" but rather "I'm going to New York".

rosegil13 t1_j7bmqzv wrote

Yes, my great grandmother born and raised in Carroll Gardens in 1916 said this. She loved to go to Macy’s. Lived until 2015!

burg_philo2 t1_j7ku6mz wrote

That’s still common even among younger folks I think

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_j7lmiyx wrote

My kids (raised in Queens) say "I'm going to The city" but not "I'm going to New York".

burg_philo2 t1_j7m18qo wrote

Ah yeah misread the comment, that’s pretty interesting. I don’t think people upstate/LI really say that anymore

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_j7n4ugn wrote

My mom would be 92. She used it too. . So did all my late aunts and uncles (all Brooklyn natives).

Pool_Shark t1_j7b5nb8 wrote

And Nassau County used to be part of Queens so there is an alternate reality where NYC includes Westchester and what is now Nassau county.

OrpheusNYC t1_j7cdj7m wrote

The wildest factoid to me is that Huntington, in Suffolk, was part of Queens and even called Queens Village.

mallomar t1_j7j3na0 wrote

Interesting, I hadn’t heard this before! Any further reading on the history? I never knew parts of Queens County went to Suffolk County.

OrpheusNYC t1_j7je7wa wrote

history of Lloyd Harbor. I just followed the related pages at the bottom of OPs wiki article. This is one of the citations. Essentially Loyd Neck was part of Oyster Bay, which was a Queens township, and was annexed to Huntington and by extension Suffolk county in 1885. Four years later, Nassau split from Queens altogether.

mallomar t1_j7ljc1b wrote

Thanks for the link. It looks like it’s saying Lloyd Neck, which was part of the town of Oyster Bay, then in Queens, joined the town of Huntington, which was/is part of Suffolk, not that Huntington itself was part of Queens: “It was not until 1885, after a year of much lobbying in the State Legislature, that Lloyd Neck became a part of the Town of Huntington and Suffolk County, thereby seceding from Oyster Bay, Queens County.”

You can also see in the first link in that same section an 1873 map of the three counties of Long Island at the time (Kings, Queens, Suffolk) and Lloyd Neck shows up as part of the town of Oyster Bay, whereas Huntington is already its own town which is part of Suffolk.

z0rb0r t1_j7k70p9 wrote

What? That’s like almost an hour away. That’s crazy!

Romas_chicken t1_j7bliiu wrote

This says “ Town of Westchester Results”. Idk, what the town of Westchester is, but I think it’s different from the county. The same wiki page then has results for Mount Vernon (no), Pelham (yes), and Eastchester (yes) which are both still in Westchester county.

So there must have been a specific town of Westchester that it’s referring to

Edit: quick research, the Town of Westchester is currently the Westchester Square neighborhood just south of Morris Park in the Bronx

lady6starlight t1_j7bpikz wrote

Eastchester got split by Mount Vernon, so all of Eastchester south of Mount Vernon was annexed, but Eastchester north of Mount Vernon was not. Very interesting.

CavediverNY t1_j7asmf4 wrote

There’s got to be a good Staten Island joke in here somewhere

rogan_doh t1_j7bedmo wrote

Ridgewood (11385) voted to join queens instead of Brooklyn due to the image issues.

FatPhil t1_j7dx24n wrote

I heard about this one too. Didn't realize it happened so recently (1977 was only 23 years ago, right?!). I assume that's why you see so many 3-4 story walkup apartment buildings in Ridgewood like you would normally find in Brooklyn instead of the typical queens' house and gardens.

Azazael t1_j7elthq wrote

>I heard about this one too. Didn't realize it happened so recently (1977 was only 23 years ago, right?!).

That's right.

us1087 t1_j7baacu wrote

There is no New York without Brooklyn. I said what I said. 🙂

Yourgrandsonishere t1_j7bgg38 wrote

You’re not wrong but that could be stated with almost all boroughs except Staten Island.

Perhaps the most cultured and storied are Manhattan, Brooklyn and The X, of course all are storied and cultured.

us1087 t1_j7bjaj6 wrote

True. I guess my statement was more a testament to the notion that had Brooklyn not become part of New York, it would be hard to imagine New York as the remarkable place it is and was. It’s the sum of its parts that make unique.

Yourgrandsonishere t1_j7bly1b wrote

It certainly would’ve been an alternate NYC but its close proximity would’ve rendered it essentially the same.

Personally as someone who barely leaves Manhattan (and if I do I mostly go to the Bronx), Manhattan is the center.

That said, I have several fond memories of Brooklyn and have about 55 more years to make more!

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_j7br2ae wrote

NYC is definitely NYC without Bronx. A lot of people never go to the Bronx, myself included. When we do it’s for Yankees games.

−7

woodcider t1_j7btr5g wrote

The Bronx is the home of Hip Hop which is integral to NYC culture. Many old school entertainers and comedians came from the Bronx. The Bronx holds its own even if people are pedestrian.

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_j7buxyi wrote

New Jersey is the home of Thomas Edison’s research lab, which commercialized the lightbulb. The lightbulb is integral to NYC culture. No one considers NJ an integral part of NYC.

truthofmasks t1_j7c697w wrote

> No one considers NJ an integral part of NYC.

Unsurprisingly, I've met some people from Jersey who do.

actualtext t1_j7caqep wrote

This seems so wrong to me. What exactly is New York to you? Just the parts you visit frequently?

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_j7d1s7i wrote

I live in Manhattan and don’t know anyone that goes to the Bronx aside for Yankees games. There’s extremely few reasons to go to the Bronx unless you live there

-_SophiaPetrillo_- t1_j7d54e0 wrote

Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Fordham, all the “hill schools”, Bronx science, wave hill, Van Cortlandt park, orchard beach, city island, Arthur Avenue (the true little Italy). Just to name a few. 😂😂😂😂

Rottimer t1_j7gja6l wrote

It's hilarious, because the richest people in the tri-state area send their kids to private schools in the Bronx. Riverdale Country, Horace Mann, Ethical Fieldston. . . all with tuition rates that rival Ivy League colleges.

Yourgrandsonishere t1_j7dd48p wrote

Hip hop was born in the bronx, shich gave way to rap.

Dj’ing too and a lot more. They got the best Xoo and an amazing garden.

I won’t lie though, bx a little scary at times lmao, but BX is ingrained into NYC.

The list is much longer, maybe others can chime in.

Rottimer t1_j7gilgw wrote

Yeah, except for, you know, all the people that live there, which is just shy of the number of people that live in Manhattan.

liondactyl t1_j7cd487 wrote

There’s no reason to go to the other outer boroughs than the one you live in.

I’m from Queens and I’ve lived in Manhattan, the Bronx, and I work in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn has a distinct culture compared to all the other boroughs. Much more homey and like it’s own small city. This makes sense given Brooklyn’s history.

New York is Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx, SI, and parts of North Jersey. These are places that are only as populated as they are because of New York City expansion. Brooklyn would have been developed as its own city without New York, and it has the character of a distinct town. All of the other surrounding areas needed NYC to develop their culture and so they all share a similar New York vibe.

−5

djn24 t1_j7byj5g wrote

It's hard to predict what would have happened to the outer boroughs if they continued to develop independently of Manhattan.

Considering how much the Jersey side of the river has grown in the same timeframe, I think those areas would have still grown into something similar as they are today. But transportation projects would have definitely had more red tape at points, so that could have slowed down the ability of people to move further away from downtown Manhattan.

As long as the transportation options exist, the culture probably would too.

truthofmasks t1_j7c6hft wrote

It would've also slowed or prevented the development of a lot of city-wide institutions, like CUNY and the NYPL (which I know is really only the Bronx, Manhattan, and SI, but still).

RyzinEnagy t1_j7dqsws wrote

Had Brooklyn voted no the whole consolidation plan would have fallen apart. Joining Manhattan and Brooklyn was the whole point, because they wanted to guarantee remaining the largest city in America, and why the Brooklyn Bridge was built. They probably try again or find some way to join anyway, but yeah.

vasjpan02 t1_j7ahb8j wrote

check out sayre & kaufman, governing ny;also cannuto

JordanRulz t1_j7lt8kb wrote

damn we were so close to being a balkanized shithole like the bay area

next stop, getting rid of member deference