Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Caroline0330 t1_j7vc3ut wrote

My rent is going from $3300 to $5300 for a one bedroom in a poorly constructed and managed "luxury" building in Hell's Kitchen. I had a newly renovated two bedroom in Stuytown for $4500 in 2019. Moving out to Harrison, NJ in April. 🥲

101ina45 t1_j7vez8g wrote

$5300 for a one bed is brutal

Caroline0330 t1_j7vfg25 wrote

Yep. In a building quickly (poorly) built in 2016. The pipes bang, I have mold from the tub in the entry way closet/pantry since one of the walls is shared with the bathroom. And the light fixture in my bathroom fell on me and shattered, causing me to need stitches in my hand. We also seem to have new management personnel every 3 months or so.

movingtobay2019 t1_j7vvazk wrote

Which building?

jadedaid t1_j7xyxkc wrote

I think we all need to know this. Then again, most of these ‘luxury buildings’ are just projects with extra trinkets.

ctindel t1_j7vmdp6 wrote

I mean my friends were paying that much in the Mima building 10 years ago. They moved to a brand new building in williamsburg that had a nice roof deck for $4k for a 2 bedroom.

soflahokie t1_j7zyztl wrote

Not sure if you've looked recently, but most of the 1br in lower Manhattan that are big enough for 2 people if one is WFH are going for that much. Not even luxury buildings, just 600 sq ft co-ops built in the 60s

101ina45 t1_j8066ed wrote

We were looking at 70 pine when we were floating breaking our lease back in November and did notice that rates were in the mid 4's.

We lived in FiDi 2020-2021 and paying $3900.

mrheh t1_j8b0kvj wrote

600 sq ft for 2 its tiny my friend. 700 Minimum for 2 adults

iv2892 t1_j7vfncc wrote

That’s the landlords lost , he won’t get anybody to rent at that price

DarthDialUP t1_j7w89bv wrote

That landlord absolutely will get someone to rent at that price. And then when it's raised again next year, someone will pay that too. They aren't just naming prices, they are naming prices they KNOW will get rented out at.

They aren't looking for long term renters; some idiot passing through for a year with unlimited cash will pay it.

MaizeNBlueWaffle t1_j7zodu8 wrote

> They aren't looking for long term renters; some idiot passing through for a year with unlimited cash will pay it.

Exactly, if you ever notice where Instagram influencers, who have just moved to NYC, live, it's always in those buildings

iv2892 t1_j7wqq2a wrote

If everyone does it is not gonna work , unless there are that many people that make that much in Manhattan

myassholealt t1_j7x53dn wrote

Manhattan is a constantly revolving door of people. There will always be people looking to move here for short stints with the income to cover the living costs. And then they move on.

The people who plan to at least attempt to plant roots get pushed out to the outer boroughs, further and further out, till they just say fuck it and eventually move on to somewhere else. Either in the tristate area still, or some other region altogether.

HKtoSFtoNY t1_j7xl7r5 wrote

The unfortunate truth is there are that many people that make that much in Manhattan

[deleted] t1_j7wej5y wrote

[deleted]

motherthrowee t1_j7xvps2 wrote

Not sure why people are surprised to see this play out in residential properties when the same thing has happened with commercial buildings for ages (empty storefronts to hold out for a bank or a Duane Reade)

Environmental_Pea369 t1_j802i7w wrote

You can probably do much better than that without changing the area. I'm in Hell's Kitchen two and I pay only $2350 for a one bedroom (the apartment is obviously small and the building is old, but it's still a great deal)

thebruns t1_j7wehk0 wrote

> Moving out to Harrison, NJ in April. 🥲

Big oof. No nightlife, no retail, one bus line every 40 minutes and one trian line every 20.

NotThreeLeafCasaba t1_j7woqga wrote

You have to do what you can to save money and get by.

thebruns t1_j7wpgmb wrote

One does not save money by moving to Harrison lol. Newark, Elizabeth, Rahway are all cheaper without the problems Harrison has

Caroline0330 t1_j7weu0q wrote

My partner lives in the East Village so I'll be in the city a lot.

thebruns t1_j7wf0k8 wrote

You know the train is every 40 minutes after 11pm right

Caroline0330 t1_j7wf43z wrote

Yes, I'm well aware of that. If I'm out that late I'll just stay with my partner.

sketchingthebook t1_j7xopix wrote

Sorry that other user is throwing a blizzard at your rainy day. One way or another I’m sure you’ll make it work and find joy where you can. ☀️

Caroline0330 t1_j7xt2t7 wrote

I'm no stranger to a bit of commute. It's nice that's it's not by car.

thebruns t1_j7wfcu9 wrote

Bets of luck but I think youll discover why no one stays more than a year. The river walkway is nice though

lossandstatic t1_j7yjpgz wrote

Don’t they have a path station stop and NJ transit? Not saying it’s more affordable. Just mentioning another transportation method that may be missing from your list.

thebruns t1_j7zdk2p wrote

Only path and I am quoting path frequencies

lossandstatic t1_j7zu3wx wrote

You’re right my memory was off, I went to the NJ Penn station stop. It was close enough to where I needed to get to in Harrison.

thebruns t1_j8040nx wrote

If there was a pedestrian bridge there it would be fantastic, but the walk right now is really out of the way

mrheh t1_j8b0ck9 wrote

Same this happening to me, I'm in a 16 year old "luxury" building that was built cutting every corner it could. Rent is getting doubled May 1st, not staying