Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TetraCubane t1_ja1azfx wrote

Elijah Muhammad wasn’t actually Muslim. Nation of Islam is some weird off shoot.

They had Malcolm X killed after he became an actual Muslim.

AggravatingCupcake0 t1_ja1yz55 wrote

Glad this is the top comment, because I came here to say this.

I read Malcolm X's autobiography back in college, it was so interesting to read how he thought he was a hot shot and knew everything about Islam after being associated with NoI... and then he went on his hajj to Mecca and was embarrassed to learn he barely knew anything about the religion at all.

TetraCubane t1_ja21voo wrote

Yep, pretty much Malcolm Xs experience in Mecca showed him that everyone from all races, ethnicities, nationalities are equal under God. He didn’t see any special lines for white people, asians, black people, etc. (Pretty much why there was a recent uproar a few years ago when there was a stampede because there was plenty of space that could be used but was closed off for royalty and billionaires).

Useful-Suspect-6540 t1_ja351fi wrote

As long as they are Muslims, otherwise you're not even allowed in the city. So Yes, its a very inclusive.

TetraCubane t1_ja3fnj7 wrote

I mean yeah, racially it is inclusive. Technically, Christians and Jews should be allowed to enter since the scripture only mentions not allowing pagans and polytheists but the Wahhabi interpretation enforced by the Saudi government took it further.

Useful-Suspect-6540 t1_ja54jps wrote

They also belive in the same God since they are Abrahamic. People forget that because they are busy hating each other. Humans are mostly dumb and severely lack critical thinking.

Calfis t1_ja8i71x wrote

I remember taking a philosophy of Judaism, Christianity and Islam class in undergrad and the professor tried to simplify it by basically saying old testament was original and new testament was revision 1 that some people accepted and last testament was revision 2 that some people accepted. Needless to say I learned next to nothing from that class but still got an A.

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_jac8f6x wrote

The Christian and Jewish God (as modernly interpreted) gave people free will. The Islamic God requires submission.

I can't think if a more different approach: freedom or submission.

sedatemenow t1_ja1pd5p wrote

The Nation of Islam is fucking crazy. Made up by an inmate (Fard Muhammad) in Detroit county jail, Elijah Mohammed likely had that dude killed as well because he just disappeared one day. The FBI alleges that Fard Muhammad, who was half Black and Half white was actually a white man named Willie Ford. Either way, he disappeared in 1934 and Elijah Mohammed took over.

NutellaBananaBread t1_ja25t4q wrote

Wallace Fard Muhammad literally just made up a bunch of shit. Kind of like Joseph Smith.

weech t1_ja2bb9n wrote

*Kind of like every religion’s founder

Dump_Bucket_Supreme t1_ja29qt9 wrote

woah woah woah let’s slow the roll on the joseph smith slander

oh cmon take a joke people

−22

RE5TE t1_ja2brc5 wrote

You have those golden plates and read the hieroglyphics through a seer stone? That's not slander. That's what he claimed he did. That's insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_plates

WikiSummarizerBot t1_ja2bsfb wrote

Golden plates

>According to Latter Day Saint belief, the golden plates (also called the gold plates or in some 19th-century literature, the golden bible) are the source from which Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon, a sacred text of the faith. Some accounts from people who reported handling the plates describe the plates as weighing from 30 to 60 pounds (14 to 27 kg), gold in color, and composed of thin metallic pages engraved with hieroglyphics on both sides and bound with three D-shaped rings. Smith said that he found the plates on September 22, 1823, on a hill near his home in Manchester, New York, after the angel Moroni directed him to a buried stone box.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

JoyBus147 t1_ja31stw wrote

"Slander" refers to untrue defamatory statements

AFakeName t1_ja3g3fi wrote

Yeah, that dude was legit talking to god.

IRequirePants t1_ja2czwx wrote

> They had Malcolm X killed after he became an actual Muslim.

People still espouse conspiracies about how it was really the FBI, CIA, etc.

Farrakhan has repeatedly hinted that NOI killed him.

LoneStarTallBoi t1_ja2uhcm wrote

The CIA and FBI would be extremely happy to provide material support and coordination for Elijah Mohammed

Soundsgoodtosteve t1_ja4lszx wrote

Farrakhan’s hands are so bloody it’s ridiculous that he can be seen as a man of any god.

frogvscrab t1_ja37naf wrote

I wish more people knew this. Nation of Islam is about as linked to Islam as the black hebrew israelites are linked to Judaism.

jonnycash11 t1_ja3x1ss wrote

Malcolm X was the minister of the NYC and Washing DC temples and put the group on the map after standing vigilant outside of a Harlem police station after one of their members had been severely beaten by police.

His home was firebombed on Valentine’s Day 1965 while he was away in Rochester making his last speech. Four days later he was shot while preparing to speak in Harlem.

In a March 1944 interview to Ebony magazine he stated that they “would have to kill me” because he knew where “all of their bodies were buried” and “might exhume some”.

Infinite_Carpenter t1_ja2ums5 wrote

I thought I read somewhere the men they charged were all exonerated in the past few years and they’re still not sure who did it.

orb_king t1_ja2zfj3 wrote

Actually there have been some recent developments in this area- exonerations, etc

SoloBurger13 t1_ja2yobn wrote

This isn’t true, they were exonerated and they’re suing the city of New York for wrongful imprisonment. As always you can be almost sure that the FBI killed Malcolm X as they did every other Black leader of this time

But fuck the nation of Islam in general. It’s a cult

I’d suggest the doc “Who Killed Malcom X” it’s the documentary that reopened the investigations

−5

tikihiki t1_ja8cvzu wrote

"Elijah Muhammad told the annual Savior's Day convention on February 26 that "Malcolm X got just what he preached," but denied any involvement with the murder.[58] "We didn't want to kill Malcolm and didn't try to kill him," Muhammad said, adding "We know such ignorant, foolish teachings would bring him to his own end." from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Malcolm_X#:~:text=Elijah%20Muhammad%20told%20the%20annual,him%20to%20his%20own%20end.%22

Regardless of who is was actually responsible for the killing, this seems hugely insulting to put this on Malcolm X blvd.

I won't claim to be an expert on this. Is there context I'm missing? What does Malcolm X's family think of Elijah Muhammad?

SoloBurger13 t1_ja8g989 wrote

I just said fuck the Nation of Islam lol where did I say they should get a street sign? Fuck Elijah Muhammad and Farrakhan

I think it’s important to name who correctly killed this man.

Here’s Malcolm X family suing bc FBI and NYPD had people there at the speech AND knew he was about to be murdered

This is in addition to them having informants in the nation. I think a lot of people do not understand Contelpro or the extent in which the FBI was involved in assassinating radical black leaders and destroying movements