Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dust1990 OP t1_jcm5d6v wrote

True this doesn’t factor the bonus which recently went away. This plots the base fare only. Do you know where I might find info on the bonus history? Regardless I doubt it would make much difference.

Edit: thanks everyone. I’ll try to add this to see if it makes a material difference.

colonelcasey22 t1_jcm8t8f wrote

Looks like the history of the MetroCard bonuses of it can be extracted here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroCard

Doubt it's ever coming back with OMNY in effect and fewer people pre-loading amounts to a card.

Pennwisedom t1_jcnn150 wrote

> ewer people pre-loading amounts to a card.

It's a chicken and the egg problem in this case really. I stopped pre-loading my card because the bonus went away.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_jcm8uuf wrote

MetroCard

>The MetroCard is a magnetic stripe card used for fare payment on transportation in the New York City area. It is a payment method for the New York City Subway (including the Staten Island Railway), New York City Transit buses and MTA buses. The MetroCard is also accepted by several partner agencies: Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE), the PATH train system, the Roosevelt Island Tramway, AirTrain JFK, and Westchester County's Bee-Line Bus System. The MetroCard was introduced in 1993 to enhance the technology of the transit system and eliminate the burden of carrying and collecting tokens.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

doodle77 t1_jcprlar wrote

Also the unlimited MetroCard.

The MTA reports the average fare paid per ride in it's annual reports. In 2019 it was $2.10, and it increased significantly in the pandemic as commutation ridership dropped.