Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

drballoonknot t1_irsx8pj wrote

I need my 1010 WINS crackly, over AM radio with my dad smoking in the car windows closed.

bklyn1977 t1_irsyb9j wrote

you can hear the windshield wiper motor making the radio hum.

FlyingJoey t1_irvkays wrote

Wow that was the old KRock. Howard Stern’s old station.

oreosfly t1_irthyf2 wrote

ALL NEWS, ALL THE TIME

StevenAssantisFoot t1_iru1hxf wrote

The radio in my mom's kitchen has been playing 1010 WINS on a low volume around the clock for the past forty years or longer. The only interruptions have been blackouts and power outages. It's either "for the cat" or "so the robbers will think someone is home."

5_on_3 t1_irv7p8v wrote

When I was about 6 or 7 years old, my grandfather gave my sister and I transistor radios. Ran off one 9 volt battery. Fast forward 26 years (grandpa has long since passed) Hurricane Sandy comes along and knocks out the power. Wife, myself and our dog were without power for over 2 weeks. Wife and I would come home from work, light the fireplace and I'd break out that same transistor radio and listen to 1010 WINS and then change over to WFAN for Steve Somers (the schmooze) at 7 pm and just chill on the couch with our dog curled up with us. The sound of the static on that AM transistor radio was very soothing. I still have and use that radio when I go camping.

5_on_3 t1_irt3fmb wrote

I listen to WFAN, WINS and sports games on the radio. And even though those stations are also broadcasted on FM I just gotta have that AM static. I can't explain it. To me it just "sounds" better on the AM radio. Maybe it's the nostalgia of my dad driving.

PatrickMaloney1 t1_irvgpjf wrote

If I can hear Howie Rose clearly then it doesn’t hit right

…but what FM station is WFAN on?

team_suba t1_irx3zhg wrote

You honestly dont even realize how horrible AM is until you hear the same broadcast on FM. The voices are unrecognizable

coffeeshopslut t1_irxqb65 wrote

In my car, the am whines with changes in engine speed... So annoying

SBAPERSON t1_iru13eg wrote

1010 WINS now good quality audio.

We used to be be a country.