Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TeamMisha t1_isbe5yn wrote

Remember people, DOT doesn't just do bike lanes. Any of those stop signs, speed bumps, safety features you might want for your block, DOT is responsible. They do bus lanes too. When DOT is crippled with understaffing, the city as a whole suffers. Problems fall through the cracks, projects are delayed, and we get a worse outcome. Not good!

Evening_Presence_927 t1_isby6iz wrote

It’s almost like elections have consequences.

But no, he said what people in the “muh crime” camp wanted to hear, and that was it.

[deleted] t1_isde5ld wrote

[deleted]

−7

Evening_Presence_927 t1_isdl9n6 wrote

Lmao

You’re being played if you think Adams is taking crime seriously. There’s a reason he never had a comprehensive policy plan on the matter outside of “be tough on crime and roll back bail reform.” He’s failed in both measures, so now you have no reduction in crime and no bike lanes

[deleted] t1_isdy051 wrote

[deleted]

[deleted] t1_ise1itf wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_isg11j6 wrote

[deleted]

[deleted] t1_isg3o68 wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_ish79vx wrote

[deleted]

Evening_Presence_927 t1_ishbbnq wrote

> I claimed that I unlike you was born in this city and lived here my whole life

I fail to see how that matters, given we’re all transplants unless you’re a Native American, so don’t pull the “I was born here” card like it suddenly makes your opinions worth more.

> You calling me a fascist because I'm defending a politician that, in the window of American politics, is significantly on the left,

Bullshit. The man is a DINO through and through.

Funny how you can only resort to petty insults about me instead of arguing the facts. Get fucked, ya fascist.

cambriancatalyst t1_isf2d2z wrote

Congrats, you’ve elected yourself a corrupt, incompetent mayor that is running city agencies and services into the ground a little more each day.

LittleBlueBudgie t1_isd2wt2 wrote

They also pave every single mile of road! And maintain every traffic signal. And replace every worn out sign. And maintain most of the bridges, and run the Staten Island Ferry…it’s a huge agency with a crapload on its plate.

Myotherside t1_isbd1xb wrote

Promise double, deliver half. That’s the politicians motto.

killerdrgn t1_isbrd3w wrote

You mean the Republican Motto, Adams is a DINO.

−17

DutchmanNY t1_isc0xor wrote

Exactly, Dems always do what they say and with complete transparency. Thrive NYC for example.

BusiPap41 t1_iseqd0v wrote

There is little functional difference between a republican and a democrat except in rhetoric. Dems clamor to defend reproductive rights, for example, and idly stand by as Roe gets rolled back. They claim they care for LGBTQ people yet the rate of LGBTQ homeless youth has been steady for the past decade. Democrats are toothless rats that don’t live what they rep. We need a real working class party.

Solid_Stoic_6 t1_isckjzu wrote

DOT, DOB, and DOH have been absolutely gutted! Hiring timelines aren’t just crazy, they are outright cruel. I know folks who waited for a year to get a start date after accepting a job offer. I signed my conditional job offer with DOH 8 months ago, and I’m still waiting for OMB approval. Meanwhile 3 out of 7 people who interviewed me already quit! Two of them were supposed to be my mentors.

higgtree t1_iscmf1q wrote

It's pretty much all agencies... My floor has had so many people leave for other agencies or retire, at DOF.

TeamMisha t1_isd4sum wrote

I had a very similar experience a few years ago. I interviewed at DOT, they wanted to offer me the job, really liked me and excited for me to start. At the time I was stupid and didn't understand the civil servants exam process nonsense. I interviewed in summer, months pass, they can't give me the offer in writing, "HR is working on it", I say okay. I interview for another job assuming this shit is fake and it's never going to happen lol, I literally work for 4 months at another company who then offers me full time. Now 7 months since the DOT interview, the manager calls me and says the job had to go to someone else "because of the list". I laughed at her and said I knew this was going to happen and thanks for letting me know. I don't think I'd ever waste my time trying to get a job at DOT again, fuck that lmao, even now that I know the process

GentleShiv OP t1_isd76n3 wrote

That's wild? Why does it take so long? How can they hire anybody at that speed. Most people that are looking for jobs are looking for a job in a year, they need a job now

mowotlarx t1_isenaoc wrote

> Why does it take so long

The agencies who handle hiring (like OMB) are also seriously understaffed. It's a funny cycle at this point.

rioht t1_isfgn5x wrote

That's on the manager - they should've explained things to you. Basically they're mandated to offer interviews and such to the top 3 folks on the exam list. You got pushed out.

Sorry it happened to you, but yeah. It's an extremely shitty process.

mowotlarx t1_isen7d6 wrote

Yes. This is happening everywhere. Meanwhile, on the delusional side track, the Adams admin is pushing this "customer service" and "efficiency" plan as if any of this can be accomplished with the massive staff shortfall. It's not just staff that leave, it's all the institutional knowledge they take with them.

rioht t1_isfet0t wrote

I'm almost 99% sure Adams is going to trumpet all the vacancies and reduced headcount as a savings triumph.

The problem is that if/when economic conditions improve (which are the stated reasons for the 7% cut), it will take a very, very long time for employee morale and ability to improve.

Another effect of these cuts (which explicitly rule out layoffs) is that you're losing the most valuable employees. Those folks with options and the ability to move elsewhere are going to do so. The ones that stay are going to be the folks who have to stay due to their circumstances (pension/healthcare/family, etc) or who can't.

That's fine for a lot of jobs that don't require too much training, but it kind of sounds like a death knell for skilled knowledge workers, like those in IT, engineers, programmers, etc. The city had difficulty recruiting those folks before, and it's going to worse after.

rioht t1_isfgral wrote

OMB approval expires after six months. Keep messaging your contact on the reg and ask for updates. It's totally fine, just be polite and all. My point is that try to make sure you get started during six month window, or the process will take even longer.

_Maxolotl t1_iscliy8 wrote

The streets, the schools and the parks got defunded.

Cops got funded.

Crime went up.

Clearly the solution is to gut the streets, schools and parks more and give even more money to the cops who stare at their phones while crime keeps going up. /s

GoRangers5 t1_iscorgj wrote

Crime is going up because DA Bragg undoes all the police work.

−5

wherearemypaaants t1_isdcvsb wrote

Why is Alvin Bragg, who took office in 2022, responsible for a trend that started in 2020?

pensezbien t1_ise67rc wrote

And what about the vast majority of NYC where Bragg isn't the DA? Bragg only oversees prosecutions in Manhattan but the crime problem isn't restricted to that borough. Blaming Bragg doesn't explain the data.

GentleShiv OP t1_isaxlcl wrote

I feel like having public sector employees might be helpful to actually getting the goals of the city done....

Anyways, back to the office people.

SuperTeamRyan t1_isbx5rj wrote

Doubt, the issue isn’t that private sector is somehow more efficient than the same talent pool in public.

Once private sector takes control of a public sector project they often times do a worse job because there is essentially a blank check to get the job completed, no real oversight and they take longer to complete the task because the faster they work the quicker they’ll be out of a job.

They’ll also understaff the project and with that small staff have them split time between their own projects to maximize profits.

D_Ashido t1_it430ml wrote

Ah, I see you've been to a negotiation meeting or two and discovered the real money sink.

jay5627 t1_isba6gi wrote

Aren't there still more gov't employees in the city compared to any other mayor not named DeBlasio?

TeamMisha t1_isbdsby wrote

City staff roster includes everyone, like NYPD and FDNY, which are huge and may distort the picture. Dunno the numbers, but reports suggest DOT specifically is losing talent and people. Teams are crumbling there as people quit. Remember it takes literally 6 months to a year to hire at the DOT, so the turnover is wreaking havoc and people do not want to be told to come into the office 5 days a week by Adams when they can instead take higher pay and flexibility in the private sector.

jay5627 t1_isbe9wt wrote

> they can instead take higher pay and flexibility in the private sector.

This has always been the case.

Your other point re; DOT specific employee numbers vs general city employees is valid, though

TeamMisha t1_isd16hn wrote

> This has always been the case.

True, but I think it's even worse now. Prior to the recession forecast it was a total jobseeker's market, so I suspect more fresh grads and young engineers happily would take their pick and shop around from private companies instead of even bother with DOT. Previously you'd kind of want to take any entry/intern position you could get, but not so in recent history!

jafropuff t1_isdxunz wrote

I just left working for the city and I will tell you there is a mass exodus in all city agencies right now. Those who are eligible to retire are doing so a lot earlier and those who are young and motivated are not staying long. What's left are a bunch of underqualified political hires with fancy titles overseeing staff who could care less.

Everyone I know who has left, including myself, did so with hybrid or remote work environments being a top priority. The city already had staffing issues before the pandemic. So if companies like Goldman and Google are having a hard time getting staff back in person then imagine how hard it is to get underpaid public employees to do the same. Companies are even offering pay and perk incentives to go back in person.

NYC has a very competitive job market meaning workers have a lot more options here and making it hard for the city to compete in that type of environment. Think about how many private companies would love a former DOT staffer on their team...

astoria_story t1_iscdgv4 wrote

Why did y'all vote for him again?

Desterado t1_isce6mr wrote

People were foolishly worried about crime and thought a former cop would be able to get rid of it.

GoRangers5 t1_iscotau wrote

Did you see the other candidates?

−2

IsayNigel t1_iscqnt4 wrote

Yea tell me what was wrong with Garcia

GoRangers5 t1_isct4bd wrote

A part of the de Blasio administration, would have been a guarantee of the status quo... Next

−14

drpvn t1_isayfb4 wrote

How has he gutted NYC’s government?

TeamMisha t1_isbdabh wrote

A lot of foundational issues are not his fault specifically but he has done nothing to help. His asleep at the wheel style of leading and inability to prioritize and coordinate agencies is really bad. You cannot just proclaim "we're gonna build X miles of lanes" when your DOT is understaffed and crippled, who will review design? Sign off? Stamp drawings? Ya need the manpower. What's happening is DOT is spread thin, so they have to cut corners, downsize projects, or delay. He is not helping and Ydanis doesn't know jack shit about planning and engineering. The foundational issues I mentioned are archaic and nonsense hiring practices and timelines, benefit procedures, and pay scales, but as I said he didn't cause these problems but he hasn't done anything to help. In fact he made it worse with his 5 day office rule. Young engineers and planners, who will be the foundation for the next generation of our city government, want flexibility. What fresh grad will take shit pay and office work over a cushy job in the private sector and able to work remote? DOT is hemmoraging people as we speak, at all levels. Senior guys leaving is especially bad because it is next to impossible to replace them.

Zureka t1_isbj3y0 wrote

I still can't believe we went from Polly Trottenberg to Ydanis. Such a slap in the face for the agency.

TeamMisha t1_isd1ji9 wrote

I'm of the mindset that at this point we require legislation that mandates the commissioner must have a planning or transportation engineering degree. I have no qualms if they hire from outside, like poaching a qualified engineer from the private sector or from another DOT elsewhere, but it should not be allowed to put just anyone you want in there. These crony hires are damaging the city. Ydanis could at least help by basically letting his actually qualified deputies do all the talking and he just sits quietly and supports his team and tells the mayor the issues his staff are relaying.

JadeandCobalt t1_isbsvih wrote

The DOT seems to be busy repaving streets that are perfectly fine. Meanwhile, streets in really poor condition (3rd Ave south of Atlantic in Brooklyn, Front St in Dumbo, 9th Ave near Hudson yards come to mind) remain that way. Idk if this is DOT or another agency, but they clearly need to refocus their priorities.

GentleShiv OP t1_isayqt5 wrote

Requiring people to go back to the office when many want to wfh. Government jobs pay far less than private sector but used to have "good benefits." Now private sector has better pay and better benefits so people are just leaving government jobs en masse

n3wb33Farm3r t1_isdav49 wrote

Comptroller report this week predicted a $10 billion budget shortfall by 2023. May help.explain hiring freezes across agencies.

Interesting-Heron446 t1_isfbjrd wrote

We would have been better off with Garcia, McGuire or Sliwa. I hate Adams and his earring

−1

mowotlarx t1_isl8f9d wrote

>Sliwa

Lol what? Absolutely not.

Interesting-Heron446 t1_isl8qxe wrote

I put him last for a reason, would never vote for him. The point is Adams sucks so bad and I hate his shiny head and stupid earring

darkknight915 t1_iseywvs wrote

Oh no, not the bike lanes. Whatever will we do in our quest to be like Europe??

−2

Frankiesales_ t1_isf71jg wrote

but how will I ever get around the over crowded city if lanes aren't made for my bike

−1

[deleted] t1_isaxsen wrote

[deleted]

−11

GentleShiv OP t1_isbc7b4 wrote

There are 7000 miles of streets here. I can't imagine how much you have to not understand about urban planning to think fewer bike lanes are good for anyone, even drivers

[deleted] t1_isbm8ci wrote

[deleted]

−4

jm14ed t1_isbqubv wrote

There’s less than 200 miles of protected bike lanes in the city. Those are the only ones that really protect bicyclists.

JadeandCobalt t1_isbse9d wrote

And they’re often blocked still by parked cars, trucks, and yes, the NYPD

[deleted] t1_isbs8ar wrote

[deleted]

−4

GentleShiv OP t1_isc08p4 wrote

Your original comment was celebrating 8 miles of PBL this year, an absurdly low amount that's like 1/4 of what they are legally required to produce. What other interpretation is there?

[deleted] t1_isc0qbs wrote

[deleted]

30roadwarrior t1_isdi0kf wrote

Haven’t looked at your post history. We’re you this vocal about Duhblasio? I really hope so.