Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shep_pat t1_iypcvyq wrote

I was thinking of getting into nursing or teaching to get out of bartending but damn. I think I’m better off

Grass8989 t1_iypd685 wrote

Probably not worth it, if you’re at a busy bar. Travel nurses are/have been making bank throughout the pandemic. From what I’ve heard that’s slowing down a bit now.

shep_pat t1_iypdf5b wrote

I do very well generally but like the other two professions. It’s not the same anymore.

MyPiedaterre t1_iyr13m4 wrote

What do you find different? Was it covid that caused the change?

shep_pat t1_iyrihtt wrote

I’m not sure. We are all burnt out. A lot of new people are clueless. The money is all in the hands of the 1%. It’s hard to describe but I’d rather do almost anything else lately

Amazing-Gap-3320 t1_iypq26d wrote

Travel nurses need experience before getting to travel elsewhere.

Grass8989 t1_iyputvh wrote

Correct, which leads to a constant cycle of new grad nurses replacing senior nurses. You also generally need experience to work in the ED. Why would you subject yourself to that when you can make 3X the money traveling.

Amazing-Gap-3320 t1_iypvab1 wrote

If travel nurses get a contract to work in a hospital elsewhere but have no hospital experience (and get one day (or less) of orientation from what I hear), do you really want a nurse like that taking care of your loved ones?

Grass8989 t1_iypvrqv wrote

A lot of the travel nurses are quite experienced so I personally wouldn’t mind, but regardless this is just the reality of nursing right now.

Amazing-Gap-3320 t1_iypyazw wrote

You’ve clearly missed reading any part of my comments. You don’t encourage new grads to go into travel right away because they don’t have enough experience.

I KNOW the current travel nurses have plenty of hospital experience, that’s why they get to be good travel nurses.

Grass8989 t1_iyqnsib wrote

I never said you can be a new grad and immediately start traveling, however you usually can after a year or so depending on the agency, which is very appealing to (relatively) new nurses