Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Johnnadawearsglasses t1_j1ht044 wrote

The only fix is comprehensive immigration reform. Our current system is madness. The idea that people have to claim asylum (which they overwhelmingly won't be eligible for) so they can run out 5-7 years of work in this country, and then be forced to go back to their country makes zero sense for them or this country.

MarbleFox_ t1_j1ippwv wrote

It’s not as simple as immigration reform. Mass immigration is an unsustainable symptom of global inequality, and there’s no humane way to address mass immigration without addressing the root causes of mass emigration.

Johnnadawearsglasses t1_j1ir2sm wrote

We definitely need to continue to pull people out of poverty globally. That doesn't mean we can't have a set of policies for immigration / seasonal workers that make sense in the current global economic context. One not based on lies and grey market worker exploitation.

MarbleFox_ t1_j1isck2 wrote

> We definitely need to continue to pull people out of poverty globally.

So, the problem I have with this sentence is that “continue” implies we’ve been doing something to pull people out of poverty all along, but the reality is things like NAFTA and CAFTA have caused much of the economic destabilization, growing intensity of poverty, and exploitation throughout the region.

I’m not saying we can’t have new and updated immigration practices and policies (although in an ideal world there wouldn’t be a need for that because borders wouldn’t exist in the first place) I’m merely point out that if we want to address this humanely then we need to address the root causes of this mass emigration, not just sit back and say the only fix is immigration reform.

−4

Johnnadawearsglasses t1_j1iuecv wrote

More people globally have moved out of poverty since 1990 than any time in history, driven by modernization in India and China. We are seeing the same now in Nigeria. The fact that it isn't happening in the LatAm countries is a tragedy that the US should take leadership on. But we shouldn't ignore the tremendous strides in alleviating global poverty over the past generation

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-evolution-of-global-poverty-1990-2030/?amp

MarbleFox_ t1_j1ivwj9 wrote

I’m not ignoring the strides that have been made globally, I’m talking about the impact we have had with NAFTA and CAFTA throughout Central America over that same period.

−2

ZA44 t1_j1lzwuc wrote

Why are you bringing up Asian and African countries when the person clearly brought up NAFTA and other trade deals that are overwhelmingly effecting the people that are crossing our border and causing the current immigration crisis?

−2

JoJoPizzaG t1_j1rgbna wrote

Get rid of all welfares, that included corporate and the issue is resolved.

It make 0 sense how illegal get free healthcare and school, etc.

earlymountainrain t1_j1i3yis wrote

Let's sanction Venezuela so that the starving people rise up and solve their presidential crisis, what could possibly go wrong with this?

BufferUnderpants t1_j1qaz9d wrote

Venezuelans destroyed their own damned country when they supported Chavez oil-crazed policies, back when Bush's wars had the oil price sky-high

ViolatedGhost t1_j1hp6lj wrote

Council report: Mayor Adams ‘failing to meet the moment’ as he waits for someone else to handle the migrant surge.

Fixed it for ya.

−4

True_Comment_4144 t1_j1m0emr wrote

Just be happy you're alive now! That's all we can do.

Immigration will never stop, and most of the United States will be indistinguishable from Venezuela/Brazil in about 50 years time.

Democrats will do literally anything to remain in power, and importing poor people is importing votes.

Do you really think rich politicians like Kathy Hochul and Joe Biden give a fuck about some poor, smelly migrants? LMFAO. They are so insulated from it they don't care.

Thankfully most of us will be dead before then.

−4

Goldenderick t1_j1znq6q wrote

“Importing votes,” may backfire on the Democrats. The illegal migrants don’t agree with the Democrat Woke, and other Leftist, agendas.

The Hispanics, here, are of the mindset that they came here legally, why should others get a free ride. They also look down upon these, “People that never wore shoes before and live in dirt floor shacks,” (that’s a paraphrase from Nicaraguans that I know).