Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TrafficScales t1_jebk1px wrote

As a software engineer I’d like to caution against this perspective a little bit… it’s certainly possible now to build a career and network through fully-remote positions (especially if the entire company is fully-remote), but for mixed/optional WFH positions I have seen extreme and obvious career benefits for people who are friendly/social/helpful in the office.

It’s not so much that remote employees are at a disadvantage in software positions, but more that in-person employees have the opportunity to capitalize on being in-person, which can go a long way.

buildyourown t1_jebjjpm wrote

It's antiquated boomer middle management talk to say nobody can work from home because you don't think they will work. That's not what I'm saying at all. Relationships exist in every job in every industry. When people blame nepotism, what they really hate is that somebody got an opportunity they didn't. When I need to hire someone, I ask around. "Do you know anyone who would fit this role". Etc. Maybe it's someone you play golf with. Maybe it's an old coworker. You don't make those connections at a wfh job.