Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

emet18 t1_j9qkyfi wrote

Waiting to see how the Krasneristas defend this one.

Look, I don’t like the guy’s policies. But this is separate from that. He is just a bad, unethical attorney. File this under the same category as all the stories about enormous office turnover, getting rebuked for incompetence on the record by a judge, accepting enormous amounts of money from out-of-state donors, etc. Donald Trump levels of comically apparent corruption, ineptitude, and belief that the rules don’t apply to you.

1up t1_j9qnebx wrote

Krasner is right that it is not automatically a conflict of interest under the PA rules of professional conduct that govern attorneys even if it is a clear violation of the ethical rules that El-Shabazz is subject to. Not sure what else you would expect Krasner to say eitherr as it is not his job to enforce the city ethics code.

flamehead2k1 t1_j9qp1dw wrote

Probably not his job to enforce but my employer requires me to report ethics violations by other employees, vendors, or clients.

I would hope government that the same is expected of government employees.

mikebailey t1_j9rhxza wrote

Lawyers absolutely don’t operate under this. Ethics violations in front of the bar are way more serious than workplace violations and there’s a consensus of “don’t report them and you won’t get dragged into your own shit”

Is that fair? Nah. Is Krasner at all rare for it? Heelllll no.

flamehead2k1 t1_j9tv4pr wrote

>“don’t report them and you won’t get dragged into your own shit”

This is what moral bankruptcy looks like.