Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AbsentEmpire t1_ja8nbhv wrote

The city lost an ADA lawsuit over the state of the sidewalks and they point blank still refuse to do anything about enforcement.

No enforcement for poorly maintained sidewalks, no enforcement or illegally parking on sidewalks, and no enforcement for illegally parking and blocking crosswalks and intersections.

It's a fucking joke.

Manowaffle t1_jaa6vyb wrote

Blocking the crosswalks is particularly rampant, blatant, and crazy. Now the pedestrian has to walk into traffic to get in front of a driver who cannot see them, to cross the street.

yasabi t1_jaabywx wrote

Drivers who do this should have their tires slashed, bet they'll quit that shit real quick.

electric_creamsicle t1_jaaw1xf wrote

It's dangerous for drivers too even if there are no pedestrians. So many intersections around the city where you need to inch into the intersection just to see if there's a car coming.

just_start_doing_it t1_jadml6e wrote

There are a lot of things the city and mayor can’t or are very hard to do (logistically, resources, etc). Cracking down on blocking crosswalks and parking in the sidewalk are not one of them

electric_creamsicle t1_jaavvla wrote

And yet my girlfriend's legally parked car got a ticket in Fairmount for being a month late on emissions inspection. Meanwhile every single corner in Fairmount has illegally parked cars near the corners that make it impossible to see at intersections and I've never seen a single ticket on those cars. Law enforcement in this city makes no sense.

spleenboggler t1_jabcuxj wrote

She should have parked on an unregulated street.

When I lived in that neighborhood a few years ago, there was a car with NJ tags on the unregulated part of 20th Street, between Mt. Vernon and Wallace streets. I don't know why I noticed it, but sometime in the late winter I saw it was crusted over with leaves. And then I saw that the registration had expired about six months prior.

I wanted the parking space, so I called 611, nothing. I used the city web portal, nothing. And then one morning, I saw a PPA guy walking down the street and I stopped him and told him about this, and I'll never forget his response:

"That's not my responsibility."

I think the car finally moved when the city resurfaced the road later that year.

electric_creamsicle t1_jackk17 wrote

Oh she deserved the ticket. My point is that it's wild she somehow got a ticket when there are dozens of cars parked constantly putting people in danger and they don't ticket those.

BadDesignMakesMeSad t1_jaayvpc wrote

This is why the city government is responsible for sidewalk maintenance in most other places.

coastercities t1_jaaf5my wrote

I wonder if they spend less money on settling suits over this than they would have to on actual projects, i.e. it’s an intentional choice