Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hdhcnsnd t1_j98m2v4 wrote

Did you see the Jersey Devil?

Sixmonths_Newaccount t1_j998llb wrote

Nah, but I saw you.... fucking quakers.

Fun fact: the Jersey Devil is the 13th of Mrs Leeds. Who's Leeds? He's just a local politian people hated. It would be like if we were like "trump's son is a shit monster---> that's the ol' trump shit monster---> 'let's go shit monsters' *clap *clap *clapclapclap!"

JohnAV1989 t1_j98n7lp wrote

I didn't think you could climb this. It was gated off last time I was there. I'm jealous.

ISOtrails OP t1_j98rc6c wrote

The rangers who were at the bottom of the tower said they are looking to make a climb available monthly they are also offering guided hikes

Kabloomers1 t1_j9a6rcy wrote

So they were there and let you go up? I guess maybe they got tired at yelling at people and are trying to figure out a way to make sure people are safe but can still enjoy the view. I was so bummed last time I went and it was locked off.

electric_ranger t1_j9att5r wrote

That was my experience too. The last time I did the hike the tower was closed. I was very envious when I saw these pictures.

EagleIcy5421 t1_j99b1uy wrote

Just don't go in September. The chiggers just swarm there.

digithead t1_j9azc4f wrote

Missed this opportunity, so I’m happy to hear they plan to do it again. Nice shot!

NorwaySpruce t1_j98ncwf wrote

Last time I went we got about half way up then the guy at the top of the perch shouted at us that we had to get down

livin_ona_prayer t1_j99wp1n wrote

You can schedule an appt to climb.

Dan__Quixote t1_j9bwbaw wrote

How?

livin_ona_prayer t1_j9c9fkx wrote

Details are in the NJ website. You just have to call the Warden's station and schedule it. They will meet you out there and let you up.

mb2231 t1_j98tt48 wrote

It's so funny how flat jersey is. When you see the city from Montco it literally looks like you're looking down on the buildings.

notbizmarkie t1_j9a25xj wrote

Well, only South Jersey :) people often forget North Jersey has mountains, and a beautiful chunk of the Appalachian Trail

asforus t1_j98x20w wrote

Where do you think the best spot in montgo to see it? I’m in Glenside and I can see buildings from certain streets but it’s not a great view.

continuity0 t1_j98zo20 wrote

On a clear night (and sometimes during the day), you can get a good view of center city and the Domino lane radio towers from West Norriton. Around the intersection of Germantown Pike and Park Ave is a good vantage point.

hedgehogging_the_bed t1_j9aldvw wrote

My two favorites are behind the Arcoloa Intermediate School and Potshop Rd between Township Line and Skippack Pike, near Worcester Stables around 40.17372393257792, -75.3432066611898 . You can see the city from both.

Phl_worldwide t1_j98ni55 wrote

This is the coolest shot I have ever seen from the pine barrens. Well done!

KingBullshitter t1_j98jryc wrote

Could you see Atlantic City, too?

ISOtrails OP t1_j98u2hr wrote

Texaslabrat t1_j98qo7k wrote

That’s a dope shot, adding it to my itinerary of possible weekend shenanigans

mikebailey t1_j99cl0w wrote

Note it requires planning - that tower ranges from “closed” to “maybe” to “come by any time” since it’s just individual rangers keeping it available

I’ve also personally been cautious of it because ticks, not that that’s a dealbreaker.

ISOtrails OP t1_j9a5cxm wrote

If it’s manned it’s open to climb . The hike to it and surrounding trails make it worth a visit regardless of its status

Check out South Jersey trails for info on hikes in the area

AFirefighter11 t1_j98njly wrote

I haven't been up that jawn in over a decade. I miss being out there in the middle of the Pines.

LeastCleverNameEver t1_j98q48c wrote

What's the white tower to the right of center city?

mikebailey t1_j99cp7i wrote

The famous Philadelphia Space Needle, can’t believe none of you have been

mb2231 t1_j98ueu5 wrote

Probably that giant smoke stack right off 676 in NJ

danstecz t1_j98undu wrote

That smokestack would be to the left of the skyline.

mb2231 t1_j98wg3o wrote

Ah good call, thought this fire tower was further south in jersey

ISOtrails OP t1_j990pcs wrote

I thought that too- I wonder if it’s something FAA related

LFKhael t1_j9a4x7q wrote

It's some township's water tower. I haven't been able to figure out whose yet.

ISOtrails OP t1_j9ah8xm wrote

I tried looking at faa sectional charts- there are a few 300 for structures in the path from the tower to Philly .

boinzy t1_j99a5i3 wrote

I love apple pie.

ISOtrails OP t1_j9a4iw8 wrote

Im partial to pecan myself…

blueberry pie hill is another cool place to check out with a clearer view of the city if you’re so inclined

vomputer t1_j99vg6r wrote

Did you make it to the top? Climbing that tower was the most terrifying thing I've ever tried to do. I only made it a few flights before I got totally disoriented and had to climb back down on my butt. My friend only made it one more flight than I. Cool as fuck place though.

ISOtrails OP t1_j9a4mre wrote

I did- climbing wasn’t the issue , going down with camera gear was- at one point my lens became disconnected from the body and it smashed down two flights. Fortunately no damage !

pleeplious t1_j992qh9 wrote

But the earth is flat!!!!

ronreadingpa t1_j996gwy wrote

Speaking of that, much of the lower parts of the buildings aren't visible due to curvature.