Submitted by modest_irish_goddess t3_116hnto in philadelphia

My partner and I found a kitten stuck at the top of a tree at the Fish Hatchery on Linden Ave. near State Road.

She is about 25 feet up and we have no way to get her down. We called some arborists but they cannot come out and all recommendations say do not call 911.

If anyone is near there, the tree is on the left side of the water, near a grouping of picnic tables. We leaned a police barricade against the tree for ID, but you can definitely hear the cat crying.

My girlfriend is so upset, she cried, but we're really at a loss.

If there are any suggestions or if anybody can help, you are a hero.

Thank you!!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

plantsmeow t1_j96hhb4 wrote

Maybe try Tesla Tree Service? They're based out of Jersey but I've seen them come to Philly and they rescue cats from trees for free.

modest_irish_goddess OP t1_j96kku5 wrote

Thank you! We'll try them!

Tigergasse1821 t1_j97q59f wrote

Double recommend Tesla! Temple cats used them a while back you should call Steven Murrow is who they recommend (856-264-8386) and he’s been used for emergencies like this

wickedredlights t1_j979ijb wrote

im still here with her. no tree services have answered i've left messages with their answering services. we got a 24' ladder but it was too small and the 31' wouldn't fit in my car :/. tesla tree service is in florida atm. fire dept said they won't help. anyone else has any other suggestions or can help please lmk

wickedredlights t1_j9b1gaw wrote

update - someone came out and got the cat down this morning!! thank you everyone for the suggestions/concern ❤️

modest_irish_goddess OP t1_j97men9 wrote

Thank you and your kind hearts! No updates, but maybe some peace and quiet will embolden her to try coming down

Rare_Examination_674 t1_j96i3yo wrote

Suburb dweller here. I had the same problem and the only thing I could do was go and rent a 30 ft ladder from home depot. It folded up and fit nicely in my tahoe. Just be careful not every home depot has tool rental.

modest_irish_goddess OP t1_j96k6gx wrote

Thank you! That is sort of the position we are in, in addition to being two 50+ year old ladies. We may need to rent a ladder.

Rare_Examination_674 t1_j96lhqg wrote

Good luck! The only people we found that were willing to do it wanted to charge $400. The ladder was much cheaper.

Proxee t1_j96lorz wrote

Look for the closest Home Depot or Lowe’s, or even Harbor Freight, that sells extendable ladders (Little Giant, Gorilla, etc). Buy it, make sure to keep packaging, rescue cat, clean the ladder, and return it.

modest_irish_goddess OP t1_j97n4l2 wrote

Met such nice people trying to help and it feels good to know people care.

Fire Department was called, they are not allowed to rescue cats.

Called arborists who can't or won't come out. One wanted $800.

None of the animal rescues could assist.

Just praying she will come down on her own or maybe a kindly roofer or contractor may see this post and have a tall enough ladder

Thank you, sweet citizens, of Philly. We'll check on her tomorrow.

Mundane_Werewolf7945 t1_j97pcys wrote

Have you tried tempting them with a can of cat food? Like open the lid and blow the scent up to their direction? Might tempt them.

blinchik2020 t1_j97z7tv wrote

Often times they cannot come back down by themselves; canopycats on instagram has additional information.

SgtKetchup t1_j96xc87 wrote

If you are in the city, rather than a suburb, you should just call 911. It is stupid, but in the city, 911 is also the non-emergency number that you are supposed to use for things like this.

To make myself feel better, I generally start with "this is not an emergency" and give it a second for them to tell me to hang up if they are slammed.

worsedadever t1_j98cucd wrote

can we get an update, please.

floridorito t1_j96ixoc wrote

Stop by a nearby fire station?

modest_irish_goddess OP t1_j96kfch wrote

Thank you! There is one nearby, but everything about calling out the fire department is really discouraged.

napsdufroid t1_j96nhh7 wrote

Did you even try calling them? If they're not busy, they're only a few blocks from you. Not like they're gonna come out sirens blazing. Worst that can happen is they say no.

floridorito t1_j96qrfp wrote

I don't know if you can call them directly - you probably could; every station must have a non-emergency number. But if you stop by, they will likely be happy for the distraction.

jersey_girl660 t1_j98wdna wrote

If the cat is still in the tree tomorrow can you let me know. I’ll see if we can help with getting a ladder

effdallas t1_j97x5fs wrote

Not sure if it matters, but there is an entire cat colony (not sure what you call it) of feral cats right there along the paved trail that rums along the water front. It's about half way between maggies and the boat ramp (closer to the water) . They are (semi) behind a fence and they seem to have official care takers who go behind the fences and feed them. Those people could probably help and may even know those specific cats

​

​

for reference:

​

https://www.change.org/p/councilman-bobby-henon-save-the-linden-ave-cat-colony

wickedredlights t1_j9aqvhe wrote

one of the women who was there helpings mother feeds/tnrs the cat colony there. unfortunately i reached out to a rescue i roster with as well and no one was able to help. hopefully she came down on her own overnight, i may swing by later to check on her

PhilEMama t1_j98gjv2 wrote

Engine 46 is right there at the corner of Frankford and Linden. Stop in and talk to them. They might enjoy the distraction. It childcare hurt to try.

engontov t1_j98nd7q wrote

Try a local firehouse, if they are not busy maybe they will help

omygoodnessreally t1_j9aecea wrote

Can you take a screenshot of a map or something to show where it is? I'm not far from there. I just saw this vid on reddit where someone attached a laundry basket to a long rope slung over a branch like a pulley system.... I'm no engineer, but i have a rope and a laundry basket

wickedredlights t1_j9aqnqr wrote

we tried that as well. she is so high up it was impossible to get the rope up on a branch even going off the ladder. there's two smaller trees right next to it and the rope kept getting caught in the branches

omygoodnessreally t1_j9bnv5s wrote

O shit I have one of those super long tall poles with a rope already attached- it's used to cut trees... I saw this on FB NE philly advocats I'll check there...

adwvn t1_j96r172 wrote

An arborist?

Marconiwireless t1_j9819ul wrote

25' is nothing. Someone get over there! I would if I weren't seven hours away

wickedredlights t1_j984u6s wrote

she was more like 40' feet. that may even be an underestimation

jersey_girl660 t1_j994th6 wrote

I may have found someone! I’ll go look for her tomorrow. He works for a tree service

jersey_girl660 t1_j98wqls wrote

Can you point me on a map specifically where she is? I’m heading to the city and I will check on her tomorrow. I’m going to ask some people in the local Facebook groups in bucks if anybody knows how to help

I looked up the intersection and there’s a bunch of trees. I don’t want to be walking around aimlessly

Edit: I may have found someone to help haters. Keep downvoting while you do nothing to actually help the innocent cat

eva-geo t1_j99zot0 wrote

Have you tried coaxing the cat down with food this sometimes works.