Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Philodemus1984 t1_j9sa7pm wrote

The best bars in Philly have been and always will be the bars nearest my apartment.

sugr_magnolia t1_j9sd7je wrote

Closest to home, closest to work, or on your way between home and work.

ObligatoryGrowlithe t1_j9y2p00 wrote

Exactly. “I’m tired. I won’t stop by. Damn [so and so] is working? I should stop in for one drink. It’s been a long day. It’s only a few blocks home.”

pretzel_enjoyer t1_j9u2cq5 wrote

I feel similarly about pizza. It's all about the cost, quality, and proximity, with proximity being the most important.

porkchameleon t1_j9uaonc wrote

I am a short walk to some of these, is a win-win.

P.S. RIP Bards.

Samheimer t1_j9tcjeq wrote

“Though it’s worth mentioning that, in our experience so far, style seems to outmatch the fairly one-dimensional drinks we tried”

Then why is it on the list?

pookypocky t1_j9unyv2 wrote

To be fair, it's titled "where we're drinking right now", not "what's best right now". It's philly mag, they have no qualms about style over substance...

AgentDaxis t1_j9s9p3j wrote

Solar Myth was a pleasant surprise.

The Jim has great cocktails & food but limited seating.

Cartesian has good beers but it's almost impossible to have a conversation there unless you're outside. The acoustics are atrocious.

Separatist is the place to be.

courageous_liquid t1_j9uoll9 wrote

The Jim is a hilariously incestuous industry bar. I saw like 8 of my local bartenders there.

Good place to catch some free drinks if you tip well elsewhere.

mountjo t1_j9u6gra wrote

Damn, they're just blowing up all the spots around Passyunk huh

Mike81890 t1_j9vk08d wrote

This was my take "no no stop telling people"

AOLpassword t1_j9u68gx wrote

"but limited seating"? You say that like it's a bad thing.

mountjo t1_j9vj7x9 wrote

It's a little small, but I like that about it

Cer427 t1_j9u2qzg wrote

Rec & royal is less bar and more nightclub. Their cocktails are awful. How did they even get on this list?

rossdowdell t1_j9tk04v wrote

I haven't paid a cover fee since 1997. Put that bar on my banned list.

pookypocky t1_j9unurq wrote

They aren't kidding about grace & proper being packed. I had an unexpected couple of hours to myself yesterday and was riding by shortly before 5, so I tried to stop by there for a drink, and they couldn't have crammed one more person in there.

So I kept going south on 8th and went to the jim, and it was as dark and pleasant as it has been since basically the day it opened.

PhillyPanda t1_j9u958p wrote

Four Humours is great but it opened in 2020, you’d think there’d be more “new” bars to choose from, like two robbers would make more sense for that area

Rec and Royal is a joke.

tossup17 t1_j9uiuyx wrote

Two robbers is pretty bad, and I think that's why they somehow didn't manage to make it on this list despite the fairly limited choices.

palerthanrice t1_j9v6yme wrote

That's a bummer. My friends like their seltzers so we were thinking of checking it out sometime, but it looked pretty expensive.

I'm looking at the menu now, and yeah they're offering $7 seltzers in a 12 oz can. Just the same shit you can pick up at the store. They have two on draft, but it's the same price and seems like a 12 oz draft as well. Their cocktails, beer, and food are all pretty pricey as well.

Their "special" is a burger and fries and a seltzer for $22. How the fuck is that a deal?

Hollow_Rant t1_j9s4iyz wrote

Cartesian sucks.

GumshoeAndy t1_j9s5ir6 wrote

I haven't been to their spot yet but, I had their beer at a couple street festivals on West Passyunk Ave last year and thought Cartesian makes very good beer.

shlem90 t1_j9tmhiz wrote

Agreed. And hopefully no one gets too angry at me for this but it’s great to go there before it gets too crowded with a toddler. Tons of space and loud so my daughter screaming that the next episode of Bluey isn’t coming on fast enough isn’t that much of an issue.

GumshoeAndy t1_j9u26wg wrote

I have a little on too. Try ARS or Dock Street. Both spots are welcoming to kids.

courageous_liquid t1_j9uosws wrote

> Both spots are welcoming to kids.

Great for when kids are running underneath the dartboard.

Or were, I think they canned that.

porkchameleon t1_j9uipkx wrote

> it’s great to go there before it gets too crowded with a toddler

If you are not taking up spots at the bar for your kid(s) - I don't see a problem.

shlem90 t1_j9vedi0 wrote

Same but people got all up in arms for bringing toddlers places a few weeks ago here. I’m trying to go to Cartesian at like 5PM, not Mcgillins at 11.

mountjo t1_j9u6dh2 wrote

Earnest question, why? I enjoyed the beer and appreciate a place doing some farmhouse/saison styles

Hollow_Rant t1_j9u9l69 wrote

At my last job we did a custom brunch with a beer pairing with them and the owners were lazy jerks about everything and the beers that they wanted use to did not taste like anything that they described.

mountjo t1_j9ub1wi wrote

That's fair! Kinda stuff you don't get swinging by for a pint

porkchameleon t1_j9uawn1 wrote

I've walked by NoChe countless times and never bat an eyelash, after this piece they'll be my next stop for a few cocktails.

The Swedish place looks interesting as well (no deer heart - no sale, though).

PhillyPanda t1_j9uob4f wrote

Noche looks overpriced as all hell. $6 for still water.

Vast majority of cocktails $18-$22

Just doesn’t seem worth it

porkchameleon t1_j9urtpr wrote

I liked what I saw on their menu, plus I don't think I've ever done more than two at a time at that price range (and I am used to paying that much for a good drink with proper ambiance).

EDIT: no way in hell I am paying $6 for a water, though.

PhillyPanda t1_j9usesk wrote

Report back, if it’s good, I’ll give it a try

I went to rouge’s pop up espresso martini night the other day and I’m still hurting from a $40 bill for two drinks (not both for me)

porkchameleon t1_j9v2fjv wrote

Yikes.

Rogue never did strike me as a go-to cocktail place, and that price sounds like a rip off.

EDIT: $15, $18 max for something fancy/top shelf would be my budget there.

PhillyPanda t1_j9v4fod wrote

There were (of course) no prices on the pop up menu so at least noche is up front about stuff.

porkchameleon t1_j9v6dbj wrote

I always ask upfront, fuck their sneaky tactics.

I am not cheap, but I like money.