Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

this_shit t1_isucck3 wrote

Patrol is a black hole of wasted effort. We need officers to respond to calls, but beyond that you're wasting a payroll on security theater.

Solving violent crimes and arresting criminals is the only way to fix the perception that doing crime won't lead to consequences. We need more murder/assault arrests and fewer contraband arrests.

Kageyblahblahblah t1_isufg7t wrote

Patrol is useless, they’ll sit in their cruisers on the phone. Get out and walk a beat.

ColdJay64 t1_isuftjl wrote

Yep. There should be 24/7 patrols walking up and down Center City and other neighborhood's primary commercial corridors. The pedestrian volume warrants this.

RustedRelics t1_isv8uzx wrote

Agreed. In NYC it’s just part of the landscape that beat cops are on foot nearly every block on the avenues. (also a good number of bike cops). Where the hell is Outlaw in explaining her decision making on all of this?

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxygnf wrote

Where would they get all these cops from for these foot patrols?

ColdJay64 t1_isy9x99 wrote

ipissexcellence21 t1_isyzzwf wrote

After you hire civilians to do the jobs sure.

ColdJay64 t1_iszb8nm wrote

There are 6000 officers with only 2500 on patrol.

"More than 650 Philly police officers are unavailable for duty because of injuries. But some blatantly work second jobs, and their peers are fed up. Says one commander: “It’s a shame we don’t even hold ourselves accountable.""

These changes could be made now dude

Scumandvillany t1_isudyve wrote

Even if this is true(I'm not convinced), what exactly are the rest of the police doing? Certainly not solving crimes.

MANDATORY 4K

this_shit t1_isuijyv wrote

Lol, apparently writing up paper messages to hand to other desk jockeys to deliver in person.

PPD had 7,167 employees in Dec. 2020. Of those:

• 4,000 in field operations
  • 1,000 in support services
  • 1,050 in criminal investigations
  • 450 in "homeland security/intelligence"
  • 225 in professional standards
  • 175 in forensics
  • 150 in aviation

Within "field operations," the big chunks are ROC North (1,900) and ROC South (1,850). As an illustration, ROC South looks like this:

• 1,587 police officers
  • 143 sergeants
  • 46 lieutenants
  • 33 corporals
  • 12 captains
  • 3 inspectors
  • 1 chief inspector

Within Criminal Investigations division, there's a different breakdown:

• 537 detectives
  • 322 police officers
  • 96 sergeants
  • 57 lieutenants
  • 12 corporals
  • 14 captains
  • 6 inspectors
  • 4 chief inspectors
  • 1 staff inspector

It's very strange to me that middle and upper management in the criminal investigations unit are staffed at similar rates to patrol divisions with >2x the number of officers. Also, the number of budgeted detective positions decreased from 2020 to 2021.

mustang__1 t1_it5340m wrote

I dunno. Sometimes theatre works. I think. I'd like to think someone wouldn't break the law right in front of a cop..... But.... Yeah. Who knows anymore

Bartleby_TheScrivene t1_isxt5bp wrote

I'd rather have a security theater than a crime circus.

this_shit t1_isyoz6l wrote

Okay but what if it's not a tradeoff?

What if the security theater does nothing to affect the 'crime circus?'

Is that a good reason to spend money on security theater?

Bartleby_TheScrivene t1_isyrfc8 wrote

Yes. It is. Perception is reality.

this_shit t1_isyt2zr wrote

Then why didn't you just say that? How can we have a conversation about my ideas and your ideas if your ideas are so obscured by such a thick layer of ironic sarcasm that I can't even tell what you mean?

What's your argument for why patrol reduces crime?