Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BearPhilly t1_j0qu1lo wrote

I would check the website. I tried to do this last year and they said no. I had to get a regular ID and I needed a special Real ID appt. Real ID seems like one of the biggest government cluster fucks.

inputwtf t1_j0s0m34 wrote

Don't forget that the TSA just announced another extension. It's now may 2025. So you don't need to rush to get REAL ID, and the fact that you can only get it from ONE location makes me think I'll wait.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/releases/2022/12/05/dhs-announces-extension-real-id-full-enforcement-deadline

eapocalypse t1_j0uhuo9 wrote

I've never heard about only getting it at one location. I went to my local penndot in north west Philly and got it no problem. Keep in mind, it has to be mailed to you regardless of where to go.

DoctorRieux t1_j0vac5h wrote

You can apply for the Real ID at any PennDot location, but only one location will give you the Real ID the same day.

eapocalypse t1_j0vbg9w wrote

And that's a big issue why? It's still not a good reason to bash the system. It's not like you need it immediately since they keep moving the date back for flying, additionally it's not like you don't get any paperwork to show you have a valid driver's licence while you wait.

DoctorRieux t1_j0w7wqx wrote

Huh, I am not bashing the system? I was just clarifying for anyone reading the comments.

eapocalypse t1_j0w9d4g wrote

I was commenting on general specifically to the person I originally replied to and several other people in this thread are irritated about.

diatriose t1_j0t4nfu wrote

I get so jammed up trying to figure out Real ID. Idk why but it's a fucking mystery to me

SBRH33 t1_j0tx8or wrote

No.

To update to real id you need to bring in extra credentials. The DMV website lists them.

• social security card
  • birth certificate
  • Passport if you have one

Also it will cost you an extra $30. Processing fee.

Use the DMV on S 70th street. It has same day real id service, its the only one that does it in philly.

StubbornLeech07 t1_j0rluaz wrote

Yes you can but you have to go to a DNV that issues real ids. Not all DMVs do. The only one in Philly that does is located at South 70th St. Here is a link to the list of all the DMVs that issue Real ids.

trifflinmonk t1_j0s43dw wrote

I got a real id at 8th and Arch tho. No appt needed and they mailed it to me in two weeks

starchild812 t1_j0t910g wrote

That's the only DMV you can go to if you want to get a Real ID that same day, but you can go to any location if you don't mind waiting two to three weeks for it to come in the mail.

eapocalypse t1_j0uhxw7 wrote

You can go to any of them but it will be mailed to you.

Evrytimeweslay t1_j0stofk wrote

I went to 8th and arch, pretty sure I needed my social security card and passport too. Check the website, not every dmv does it. All in all I think it took me like 90 mins.

snake_w_arms t1_j0r02wh wrote

Somewhat related, but is the camera card needed? Just realized my license expired a couple days ago and don’t really want to wait for the camera card to come in the mail.

napsdufroid t1_j0r5fy8 wrote

Yeah, you need it. If you're an AAA member, you can get one there when you renew.

nomuggle t1_j0uewjq wrote

Yes, that’s what I did. I got the renewal in the mail the month before my license expired back in the spring, filled it out and just brought all the relevant things to the DMV (I went to KoP) and was in and out in under 20 minutes. You need a few extra documents (I think I brought my passport and electric bill) and it costs $30 more, but it wasn’t an issue at all.