Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

medicated_in_PHL t1_j3agrtl wrote

Best Italian hoagie is somewhere between those two. Parkway has way too much meat, Martha’s has way too little. The perfect Italian hoagie is a balance of all ingredients and neither of those have it.

BureaucraticHotboi t1_j3awrfd wrote

Can’t lie the best Italian hoagie I’ve had recently (and I live in south Philly with access to many great hoagies) was from Liberty Kitchen in fishtown. Absolutely expensive but holy shit those dudes put their whole elbow in that hoagie.

Thunderhank t1_j3bgpoy wrote

They have a good one, the spread is real nice and the bread is great. Best Italian in Fishtown’s got to go to Castellino’s though.

Void24 t1_j3c0l9m wrote

It’s Dans and it’s not close.

Jason_S_88 t1_j3cf9kl wrote

I really didn't like Dan's when I went, I know.its old school but old school doesn't have to mean dirty and dingy

Void24 t1_j3chcg1 wrote

I go there to buy sandwiches. Not for the ambiance, which isn’t even that bad.

Thunderhank t1_j3cn7n6 wrote

I love the sandwiches and the ambiance. Love seeing Dan sit in the back and read his paper. Feels like the 50s in there.

Void24 t1_j3cnmn8 wrote

100% and the lady that is usually making the sandwiches is so nice.

BureaucraticHotboi t1_j3dp565 wrote

You just reminded me that the spread was really the thing that put it over the top into oh fuck territory

thelatherdaddy t1_j3axviv wrote

Re: your hoagie v sub response…

To my knowledge, one doesn’t have more or less meat than the other as the distinguishing factor. More or less, it’s regional with some minor differences as you detailed. We will never know because in their utter confidence in defense of their position, they posted a response and then swiftly deleted their account. Classic.

sakamake OP t1_j3ajojg wrote

I understand the importance of a good ratio when constructing the ideal sandwich, but I respectfully disagree on this one.

Honest_Elephant t1_j3apwmm wrote

I, personally, am grossed out by thick, homogenous layers of fleshy lunch meats. That top hoagie is a big no-go for me. The bottom is too much lettuce, but I would still prefer it because it wouldn't give me the heebie jeebies

phillyEMdoc t1_j3bguuu wrote

Yeah the only way I want that much meat in my mouth per bite is

Dent7777 t1_j3blmtu wrote

When you got your jaw around a nice juicy cock

phillyEMdoc t1_j3bloqy wrote

Whoa bro I meant a cheesesteak ok

Revolutionary_Bee700 t1_j3b4ctw wrote

I feel the same way about lunch meat. Especially if the texture is combined with sticky, slimy mayo. Gag.

respondstostupidity t1_j3arv81 wrote

What you're looking for is a sub then, not a hoagie.

−23

thelatherdaddy t1_j3awap8 wrote

Fairly certain that is not the distinction.

BureaucraticHotboi t1_j3ax78t wrote

Correct I come from sub country. Subs and hoagies are more or less interchangeable. I will say a hoagie is more specific than just being on a long roll. The shredded lettuce, tomatoes and oil or mayo is more specific here than in the northeast US. Subs are just anything on a long roll. Hoagies mean a certain dressing on a long roll in my experience

respondstostupidity t1_j3awu0p wrote

The hoagie was supposed to be filling enough for poor workers which meant loading it with Italian meats and cheeses. If you want a bread salad, go eat a sub and don't ever try to correct me again.

−26

The_Prince1513 t1_j3bgx5t wrote

> don't ever try to correct me again.

lmao internet tough guy over here. How’s 8th grade going bro?

Rahawk02 t1_j3c5kba wrote

Are you sure he's not looking for a hero?