Submitted by TTP8630 t3_10ol7rv in philadelphia

Birds in the Super Bowl, Phils make World Series & got better in the offseason, Union make MLS finals, Sixers the hottest team in the association, PSU Rose Bowl champs, Flyers (ignore the Flyers), but has there been a better time for Philly sports? Asking as a younger person, old heads lmk

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

FriedHigh t1_j6famcw wrote

Basically from what the oldheads said this is like 1980 or 1983 when multiple teams made the Championship.

TTP8630 OP t1_j6fb871 wrote

Yup that’s what I’m thinking too, a repeat of that golden age would be awesome I wanna live that shit

FriedHigh t1_j6fbcux wrote

Yup sixers making it would be so great it’s been too long

Phooey-Kablooey t1_j6fxid5 wrote

Joel's playing with angry pride after not being bored an All-Star starter. Love it. MVP.

baldude69 t1_j6gi47i wrote

Yep, that performance against the Nuggets was amazing. Such and unbelievable game

i-bleed-red t1_j6fnf1f wrote

Flyers were in the Stanley Cup Finals 1974, 75 & 76 and won the first two. I was always sad “hat trick in 76” didn’t happen.

Sixers won their division 1977 & 78.

Phillies won their division 1976, 77 & 78, and WS in 1980 and NL Pennant in ‘83.

Eagles made postseason 1978, 79, 80 (lost Super Bowl) & 81

Mid-70s through early 80s was a golden period, and I always thought it was because we were also the epicenter of the Bicentennial. These were the years I was 8 through 15 and life was very very sweet for this sports-crazy Philly gal.

Edit: missed space and typo; added to Phils list per another poster’s correction.

TTP8630 OP t1_j6fpwgf wrote

Damn that’s awesome, I want that shit for us again

trev_hawk t1_j6jghhp wrote

I know you're slightly more focused on the mid-70s, but the Sixers were also in the NBA finals in '80, ECF in '81, finals in '82, then ultimately winning in '83.

ell0bo t1_j6kqx49 wrote

and then I was born, and it went to hell for 26 years (technically I was around in 83).

The flyers were always decent until the 2010s. The sixers were fun with AI, and McNabb + Dawkins Eagles were great too, but a lot of heart break in there.

KR1736 t1_j6feq0v wrote

Don’t lump PSU into that lol fuck them.

BallparkFranks7 t1_j6fap7m wrote

I don’t really consider PSU to be a Philly team, so I’d say no. Phillies and Union both lost.

It’s been fun, for sure, but if we get zero championships out of it, I don’t think it matters much.

TTP8630 OP t1_j6fbf8k wrote

PSU point is fair, and yeah championship or bust. Feels like the windows for the teams are opening at the right time tho

BallparkFranks7 t1_j6fbjn6 wrote

Yeah I think the window is open for 4/5 major league teams right now, so I’m super optimistic

johnnyss1 t1_j6fi1yc wrote

*bill burr enters the chat

I_DESTROY_HUMMUS t1_j6ngz4d wrote

When he starts shitting on the Flyers wearing pants, I lose it everytime 🤣

MEB_PHL t1_j6ftcmt wrote

The Smarty Jones disrespect in this thread

loveyourground t1_j6jpbjx wrote

I remember my dad yelling "We cant even get a HORSE that wins!" when Smarty Jones came in second at Belmont lol

​

Edit: For anyone seeing this a day later...please google "Smarty Jones" and look at the first photo that comes up. Uh.

timbrelyn t1_j6fdeh8 wrote

Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s the years since 2008 have been the sweet icing on the cake after suffering through so many heartbreaks. GO BIRDS!!

ddkelkey t1_j6fhp60 wrote

Who’s going to Cottman and Frankford lol

Lunamothknits t1_j6ffqc3 wrote

Flyers have been entertaining though. Did you see the game against Wild? 3 fights in as many minutes… 😂

TTP8630 OP t1_j6fgcem wrote

Aye listen the Process era Sixers were fun too 😂

Nah no disrespect to the Flyers hope they figure it out soon

Lunamothknits t1_j6fw5y5 wrote

Flyers will never figure it out, and that’s ok. I still watch them. 🥲🥲🥲

magew t1_j6g2k7q wrote

It'd be nice if they were owned by an actual owner, and not the most hated company...

ykcin978 t1_j6fxl1y wrote

Still a shame Union or Phil's couldn't finish

PwillyAlldilly t1_j6fr4le wrote

PSU can bite me you might as well said Pitt. That’s not philly. It ain’t Nova, Temple, SJU, Drexel etc.

BigxMac t1_j6gbse4 wrote

Novas not a Philly school either. They’re literally rich suburban kids from Villanova

TTP8630 OP t1_j6fvhrv wrote

Saturday football rolls around in the Fall & you pulling for the Big 5?

−1

BigxMac t1_j6hwh25 wrote

You pull for Temple who plays at the Linc in Philly. Rest of those schools don’t have FBS teams

owlsper t1_j6g6r4q wrote

PSU has absolutely nothing to do with Philly

​

Go OWLS

Taskerst t1_j6fofrz wrote

I’d rank this 3rd behind 1980/81 and 2008/09 but might approach 1980 if either the Eagles or Sixers win it all. Need a chip to challenge for best sports era but it feels great that most of these teams could be in the mix for the next few seasons.

CharlySB t1_j6frugu wrote

I don’t think you can include psu in this. Otherwise I agree

kittylover3210 t1_j6g9j5j wrote

being able to make the walk up broad st to city hall twice in the span of a few months is so fucking crazy. GO BIRDS

new_tanker t1_j6fn7pv wrote

I had to look it up... Phillies won World Series in 1980 and that year's Eagles went to the Super Bowl and lost.

The 2022 Phillies made it to the World Series and lost and that year's Eagles are going to the Super Bowl. Maybe, just maybe, they'll win, and just maybe we will see a crowd of Eagles fans greeting the team on February 13 or 14 like this did after winning Super Bowl LII!

_token_black t1_j6ge2j0 wrote

All 4 teams made it between 1979-81

Flyers lost the SC in 79-80 and Sixers lost in the Finals in 80-81

new_tanker t1_j6ghhvy wrote

No way I would have remembered that... wasn't around then!

_token_black t1_j6gj5g3 wrote

The Flyers loss was the 1st win of the Islanders dynasty, and Game 6 was the Leon Stickle game (missed an offsides call).

The Sixers loss was the Magic Johnson game where he played center for an injured Kareem in the deciding game 6.

Kronos_1976 t1_j6gvq2c wrote

Leon. Stickle. 43 years later. We. Still. Remember.

i-bleed-red t1_j6gohij wrote

And ‘80 WS we beat Kansas City! I think it’s an omen.

Ng3me t1_j6hu557 wrote

The Mets play closer to Philadelphia than Penn State. Pass.

Pcrawjr t1_j6fq2jv wrote

TTP8630 OP t1_j6fqkl8 wrote

I want this city to repeat that feeling

NoDadNotToniight t1_j6gojkj wrote

Was it 1980 we were called the city of champions? Yeah, that time was probably better. But this is a close second!

rapturecity113 t1_j6ih43t wrote

Let's not count our chickens yet. Im be sick if the eagles and phillies make the finals just to lose.

pasnow t1_j6iv6qf wrote

I'd say around the millinium (1999-2001ish) we did have AI, Lindros, McNabb, and Phillies were beginning to show promise with Burrell, JRoll beginning to come up (especially after JD Drew screwed the team over refusing to sign here).

While the championships weren't all there that era, the franchise players & promise were there.

boko_harambe_ t1_j6fx0bq wrote

Sucks the Flyers are usually ol reliable when it comes to doing well. Not so much in recent years though.

Upside for flyers is if they tank hard good shot at one of the best talents since sidney crosby

MyGFhasabigassAMA t1_j6kbfvt wrote

The problem with the Flyers is they refuse to tank and are continuously stuck in no man’s land.

boko_harambe_ t1_j6khnho wrote

Yeah. I kinda respect it tho at the same time

MyGFhasabigassAMA t1_j6ki7p6 wrote

Lol, I don’t. They’ve sucked for quite a bit now. Their methods of team building are outdated.