Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lonetravellr t1_j6n1guu wrote

Says whatever gets him votes, he's learning fast.

PhillyAccount t1_j6n22ef wrote

I was Jeff Brown - curious for a bit, but I'm not liking the pandering at all.

Little_Noodles t1_j6n2fny wrote

“When an attendee chimed in, saying: “They don’t know who they’re voting for,” Brown responded in agreement: ‘I don’t think they really know.’”

That has the ring of something he actually believes at least.

[deleted] t1_j6n79ox wrote

[deleted]

Little_Noodles t1_j6n7kge wrote

I mean, it definitely sometimes works! But I’d rather vote for someone whose campaign strategy isn’t “fuck it, I’ll just say whatever, they’re all idiots anyway”.

[deleted] t1_j6n8bgc wrote

[deleted]

Little_Noodles t1_j6n8m3h wrote

He’s simultaneously actually thinking that the police don’t need any more funding and that more funding for the police is his #1 priority?

I believe he’s worked up about shoplifting and the soda tax because those affect his personal bottom line. But other than that, he’s just telling everybody he gets put in front of what he thinks they want to hear.

oliver_babish t1_j6nl4oe wrote

Seems like more than that: he thinks that no one's paying enough attention when he panders differently based on which part of city he's in. And that's arrogant AF.

IvanStarokapustin t1_j6n222h wrote

The Plan: prosecuting shoplifters is second on his list after repealing the soda tax. Then he’ll find money for more police.

Ng3me t1_j6p7xij wrote

Hmm. What’s his other signature policy, a crackdown on stolen shopping carts?

zwirjosemito t1_j6n2qbj wrote

So, prosecute everything, everywhere, always, and enforce with more police officers and more money for the police department. And also repeal the soda tax. I’m sure this will all work perfectly, because freedom doesn’t listen to math, or the lessons of history.

screeching eagle noises intensify

Little_Noodles t1_j6n44s3 wrote

But also, in a different room, no more money for the police. And for the love of god, let’s make sure the driving equity bill stops doing the things it doesn’t do and starts doing the things it doesn’t not do.

zwirjosemito t1_j6nb91f wrote

My suspicion is, if elected, this guy will be Katz in Nutter clothing.

dgauss t1_j6n8e4u wrote

Candidates in Philly need to know those who vote in the primary are on the fringe of the voting populace. They are the group that pays attention the most and will catch these erratic shifts. You can't win a primary hoping for the general ignorance of voters.

Little_Noodles t1_j6nn5ln wrote

Especially with the field as crowded as it is right now. Primary voters pay attention, and right now, they have a lot of options.

Brown isn’t bringing anything to the table that’s so unique or special that any primary voter has to look far to find a suitable replacement for whatever it is that they maybe liked about him.

AbsentEmpire t1_j6nmwf8 wrote

However you can count on winning with a very thin percentage win since we don't have ranked choice voting, and the more people on the ballot the fewer voters you actually need to win a majority.

sirauron14 t1_j6ndwgo wrote

Well, it makes sense. He goes to west Philly where the majority of black and brown folks live and says police funding is enough. Then goes to the north east where it's not so much black and brown folks and says more police funding is necessary. of course. Its to draw in republican votes.

a-german-muffin t1_j6o0czn wrote

It's gonna be interesting to see if Brown's campaign can get a sizable number of Republicans to flip their registration ahead of the primary — it'd be a significant gamble to say the least, but one could envision a scenario in which it could be an edge.

Varolyn t1_j6ofh55 wrote

Near-northeast is like 95% democrat.

signedpants t1_j6nasbx wrote

No way he's just a fucking lying piece of shit like everyone else.

Basique_b t1_j6n0ur9 wrote

Please tell me more..

−3

Little_Noodles t1_j6n1whc wrote

You could read the article. It’s not entirely complimentary.

The material about police funding is in the first two paragraphs.

“One week ago, Philadelphia mayoral candidate Jeff Brown told voters in West Philadelphia that he’d oppose increasing the nearly $800 million Police Department budget, saying: “We have enough money in the police budget.”

Then on Tuesday night, when Brown spoke to a group of Northeast Philadelphia voters, he was asked if “more police and more money for police” is a priority.

“It’s the No. 1 priority right now,” he said.”

1up t1_j6n63wh wrote

And the most important bit, his response:

> It’s the No. 1 priority right now,” he said.

Little_Noodles t1_j6n69b9 wrote

Oh, oops. Yeah, copy/paste fuckup right there. Thanks for the catch, doing an edit.

familyofgeniuses t1_j6nfoo6 wrote

Hypothetically, couldn't he be referring to moving money around the PPD budget to allocate more money to hiring officers? A few other candidates have said that.

−1

Little_Noodles t1_j6nhnpf wrote

If that’s what he meant, that’s what he should have said. Like the candidates that said that did.

napsdufroid t1_j6ohn1z wrote

Hypothetically, yeah. But we both know that's not what he was referring to.

User_Name13 OP t1_j6n23hj wrote

FTA:

"Brown criticized what he said is the District Attorney’s Office’s policy on retail theft cases, saying Krasner “stopped prosecuting shoplifters” when the value of goods stolen is below $500."

Which Krasner's office never actually ever prosecutes people for. Retail was already on the ropes because of supply chain problems from Covid and the increasing prevalence of online retailers like Amazon. Policies like Krasner will effectively kill off what remains of retail because they're getting robbed blind now too. The shopping experience also sucks now too, everything from is locked up in those plastic cases and you have to wait for an associate to get everything off the shelf for you. All these policies that cater to criminals have reduced the average law-abiding citizens quality of life in many ways.

There shouldn't be any dollar amount attached to a toleration of shoplifting. It's not about the dollar value, it's about the principle. Shoplifting is a crime, and we shouldn't live in a society that encourages or tolerates it to any level.

"During Krasner’s tenure, the conviction rate in gun possession cases dropped from 63% in 2017 to 49% two years later. Krasner’s office has defended its record on illegal gun cases and said many factors contributed to the decline in convictions. He has also said law enforcement should prioritize shootings and homicides."

"Brown said Krasner believes prosecuting illegal gun cases is “a hostility towards impoverished people.” He added: “I think that’s bulls—.”

Here here!

How can you claim to be against all things gun-related because you care so much about gun violence and people dying, but then illegal gun prosecution actually goes down under your tenure?

On the driving equality bill, Brown had this to say:

"In addition to criticizing the DA, Brown said Tuesday that the city’s driving equality law — which aims to reduce racial disparities in police stops — is “a really bad bill.” The legislation, which took effect nearly a year ago, prohibits officers from stopping motorists solely for committing low-level offenses like driving with a broken taillight or an expired inspection sticker."

"Brown said it hinders violent-crime prevention, saying, “If you were going to do a drive-by shooting, what you would take is an unregistered car with tinted windows.” Having a registration that expired within 60 days is among the infractions included in the law, but the legislation does not include language on window tint."

I agree with him on this too. People have increasingly been driving like maniacs ever since this bill passed. Also it's another bill from the city that simply encourages lawlessness.

−23

lonetravellr t1_j6n31xd wrote

You say that but the bill doesn't say the cops can't pull you over for reckless driving. Didn't know Brown had a lot of experiences with committing drive by shootings.

Little_Noodles t1_j6n416w wrote

Or tinted windows either.

Dude either doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or he’s lying about the law because he knows people like to hear lies about the law.

Either way, not a good look.

lonetravellr t1_j6n46jh wrote

It's because it's not illegal in PA to have tinted windows and it doesn't fit with OP's anti-Krasner rhetoric.

harbison215 t1_j6nab7l wrote

I was pulled over and ticketed for tinted windows when I was about 17, year 2000. Red Lion Rd in Northeast Philly. Maybe it’s not illegal in PA, maybe it’s not illegal in Philadelphia anymore, but it certainly used to be.

Edit: tint is most illegal in Pa

In PA, any tint on side or back windows must allow more than 70 percent of light in.

Most after market window tint is well below 70. Most popular being 20. 20 is illegal in PA.

https://www.tinting-laws.com/pennsylvania/

AbsentEmpire t1_j6nmju2 wrote

Tint over certain percentages is in fact illegal in Pennsylvania, as are reflecting tints.

lonetravellr t1_j6nmtyx wrote

I guess not in Philadelphia

−2

Little_Noodles t1_j6nnjsg wrote

There’s nothing in the driving equity bill or any other local bill stopping any officer from pulling over a car with tints that violate the state limit. They’re just not doing it.

lonetravellr t1_j6nq2os wrote

It's the blue flu. They can't be bothered to enforce laws without abusing their power.

Little_Noodles t1_j6nr37c wrote

It’s a good thing we can fix that by lying about the law to people that refuse to read it themselves.