Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

he0ku t1_j4l4tv9 wrote

Moving to Rittenhouse Square area, what’s the move for groceries around there? I’m use to the suburbs and usually do one big haul every week but I’m guessing it’ll be different in center city with no car.

Edeuinu t1_j4ljtee wrote

I walk to Trader Joe's on Market. I have a huge bag that I manage to fit pretty much all my fam needs for the week (2 adults and 10mo old). Quick runs I'll go to Rittenhouse Market or Max's Grocer. Also frequent the Giant on South for some items I can't get a TJ.

PhillyPanda t1_j4ld2ys wrote

I usually do Target and Rittenhouse Square market for quick trips. Trader Joe’s when I have time. Pretty much everywhere will deliver. Maxx’s and Sues Produce are cute little stores great for produce. Food and friends is a pricier store to pick up fancy odds and ends with your beer. Di Bruno’s brothers is another high end pricier store - has a meat counter with fish/steaks, cheesemongers, prepared food. There’s a farmers market every Saturday morning/early afternoon in the square.

On days I don’t mind walking/not getting a ton - I just walk to south street - acme, Whole Foods, south street market, giant heirloom. Italian market is another nice stroll where you’ll find cheap produce.

Dryheavemorning t1_j4l6jma wrote

When living in Rittenhouse I tended to get my groceries delivered but depending on where you are in the neighborhood the Trader Joe's isn't a bad walk and there are a couple new Giants on the edge of the neighborhood in walking distance.

MRC1986 t1_j4w7ynn wrote

Definitely get a foldable shopping cart, aka a "granny cart". IMO it's essential for any grocery shopping within the city if you are walking or taking the bus to the store. Also, get some zipper reusable shopping bags, I use a few canvas bags and also Rachel Ray zipper bags with lining for cold items.

With the above, you can still get enough volume for weekly grocery store runs, that's what I've always done.

courageous_liquid t1_j4wqakb wrote

Good rec. I also just carry a backpack everywhere and stop in to grocery stores when I'm walking nearby for something else.

Going a couple times a week isn't an issue when you only have a few things and so does almost everyone else.

Phl_worldwide t1_j4l8jsr wrote

Trader Joe’s, Giant, Giant Heriloom, South Street Market IGA are a few in and around the neighborhood. And yeah, I found I just had to buy more strategically of what I could carry and how many meals I could make

UndercoverPhilly t1_j4yd089 wrote

Other places not mentioned: Trader Joe's on Arch and Broad St., just a block from City Hall, depending where you are in Rittenhouse and around the corner, Reading Terminal Market. The Arch St. TJ does not get as crowded as the one on Market, which is always crowded. Also, on 19th and Spruce there is a small grocery store "Food and Friends." I've never shopped in it but passed it many times. Also between 15th and 16th on Spruce, another small market, Spruce Market. I used to get bread at Metropolitan Bakery on right off Rittenhouse Sq. There are so many places to go in walking distance--however prices might be higher than you are used to. One of my friends in the Northeast laughs when I talk about how cheap the produce is in the Italian Market compared to all the grocery stores I can walk to. Where they shop in the Northeast is cheaper than the Italian Market, which is the cheapest you can get walking distance (a hike) from Rittenhouse. Reading Terminal Market has some good deals but still not as cheap.