Submitted by AtmoSZN t3_11bqluk in pittsburgh

Hey everyone! I just recently got engaged and my fiancée wants to have the wedding at Phipps. Has anyone here been married there or been to a wedding hosted at Phipps that can chime in with their experience? We have a tour dated for early March but I wanted to reach out to yinz to see if I can get any personal opinions. Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mrsrtz t1_j9zbdzb wrote

For what it is worth, every so often Phipps has a Pop-up Wedding Offer, inclusive, though for relatively small weddings.

I don't know how that is, but I have been to catered events at Phipps (much larger) and they were quite nice.

GangsterJew t1_j9zff4i wrote

Got married in August last year. Did the special events Hall. It was a beautiful wedding and the price is very reasonable for what you are getting. It made a big impression on our out of state guests. I would highly recommend it to anyone else!

Illustrious-Fold253 t1_j9zkddi wrote

We got married in the outdoor garden in October 2014. It was one of the few venues willing to accommodate our small wedding (less than 50). It ended up being cold and raining, but it was still a great setting for a wedding. Beautiful facility, and some great photo spots right across the road in the park too. As others have said the food options are limited, but from what I remember everything was good and well liked by our guests.

I liked that there is car access to the outdoor garden area so it was super easy for us to get our decorations and obligatory Pittsburgh cookie table set up in the limited window before the ceremony.

moonwish22 t1_ja04w8p wrote

Yes and today is actually our wedding anniversary! We got married there in 2017 and it was magical. We did it in the Broderie Room during their orchid show. The room was rented for 90 minutes, but there are different time periods and different rooms that you can rent out depending on how you want your ceremony and if you are getting catering there, etc. The event person will talk you through all those details. The flowers were beautiful and so were the decorations from the orchid show. We used a microphone (provided by Phipps) so everyone could hear our ceremony/vows. The temperature was great for our event and everyone still talks fondly about the ceremony. It was laid back, beautiful in nature and everything we wanted in our wedding.

Edit to add that we got a reduced rate so we could have admissions to all parts of Phipps for our wedding guests. I have a bunch of nieces and nephews so this was perfect for them to be able to enjoy all of Phipps.

lzsbrn t1_j9zdc8k wrote

We decided to our ceremony at Phipps (Broderie Room) and reception elsewhere. We only did so because we weren’t impressed with the reception options Phipps offered for the price. The communication from the wedding coordinator was lackluster at best but overall it wasn’t a terrible experience.

Edit to add: We got married there in 2021.

ScratchMoore t1_j9zip79 wrote

I performed a wedding ceremony at Phipps about 15 years ago. While I wasn’t involved in the planning, I can say that everyone involved on the day of the ceremony was helpful and friendly and the couple who got married had no complaints either.

Self_Hating_Dentist t1_j9ziuui wrote

My wife and I got married in the Broderie Room back in early June of 2014. We had a small group of about 15 people and I thought the room looked great, but it was pretty warm inside. They had fans running which helped, but it also made it nearly impossible for anyone to actually hear anything since there was no PA system to use (can’t remember if we had the option or not to bring one). Anyway, the room was completely blocked off though during the time we had it rented so that was nice… no prying eyes watching us. Overall for a small group it worked pretty well.

thebloodofthematador t1_j9zo29e wrote

I looked there for my wedding, but your guest list either has to be really big (like 200+) or really small (like 30). They don't have an appropriate space for mid-sized weddings.

CajunLinguine t1_j9zas82 wrote

We were married there almost 15 years ago. We had a great experience overall, but the food options were pretty limited as you had to choose from a list of catering companies. If I had to do it again, I definitely would. Be prepared because the dates were booked a long time in advance.

JoeNoble1973 t1_ja0z8al wrote

Went to a wedding there, it was gorgeous and the food was great!

AtmoSZN OP t1_ja1dpb7 wrote

Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts! Seems majority of people were happy with the service provided.

Cunty_ t1_ja7jqzz wrote

Congratulations on your engagement!

I got married and had the reception in the outdoor garden area this past fall (2022). It was convenient to schedule it all through them, they do so many weddings they ran like a well oiled machine, in my experience. I would highly recommend Phipps, my guests still remark how beautiful it was there and they loved the Lobster cakes. Happy to answer any questions and my DMs are always open!

Perfect_Speech_8058 t1_ja32f3y wrote

I got married in the outdoor garden May 2012. I had a wonderful experience and have friends that still regard it as their favorite wedding. My wedding was about 80 guests and did ceremony and reception both at Phipps in the outdoor garden.

The fee is super reasonable compared to other options. I checked most options at that time and some of the costs were truly shocking. The tent comes included in the fee but you will have to rent tables and linens, etc.

Their food and drinks were fantastic. I did a wine and beer bar only and they surprised us with sangria for cocktail hour which was so delicious. I didn’t do a sit down dinner and opted for just passed hors d'oeuvres, which I was really happy with. I also had a candy and cookie table and hired a coffee bar for the last two hours. The only thing I would’ve done differently is to have chosen one or two of the food station options so that people had food options if the passed hors d’oeuvres hadn’t gotten to them yet or for awhile. Some people kept repeatedly storming the servers as they walked into the tent and it took awhile for food to make it to the opposite side of the tent.

You save on decor because the beautiful garden is an amazing backdrop and your guests can wonder the gardens and sit on the various benches for more private moments during the event.