Submitted by tanglejangle t3_yw1t7r in pittsburgh

I have always wanted to be a nurse for as long as I can remember. I focused on being a mom and getting our lives stable for so long and now I think I am ready to take that leap for myself. I want to go get my LPN atleast and there are so many programs in this area. What are some great ones for me to enroll in?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_iwh50q0 wrote

CCAC offers associate degree RN and LPN-RN programs. I’m in my 30s and will start taking prerequisite classes for a different allied health program (DMS) in January. It’s inexpensive because it’s a community college, but that also makes it a competitive program to get into. I suggest making an appointment to meet with an advisor and ask what’s required.

ScratchMoore t1_iwh8ipv wrote

Second this.

My ex-wife went here for her nursing degree after three kids and she was 35ish when she started? She enjoyed it.

Unethical_GOP t1_iwhajku wrote

I graduated from CCAC when I was 40. Not for nursing, but CCAC was a great place for me. My career has exploded and most of my colleagues have an MS.

CCAC is hard to beat for tuition costs and quality of education.

BorisTheMansplainer t1_iwi0dgd wrote

I went to CCAC and multiple 4 year schools since (hashtag killing it), and I enjoyed my time at CCAC the most. I also left with just one loan under a thousand dollars. Community college is still underrated, despite everyone's frustrations with the cost of higher education.

Unethical_GOP t1_iwi65a2 wrote

My son went to Pitt at the same time I went to CCAC. (Moms get seconds 😂😂) He had classes with hundreds of students. My classes were small. Professors for the most part were helpful and accessible. I loved CCAC.

driving_85 t1_iwhe6f3 wrote

Honestly, just go the whole way through for your RN. LPN positions can be hard to find. UPMC and AHN both have diploma programs or CCAC has an associates program. Any of those will get you your license.

tanglejangle OP t1_iwhs9a6 wrote

CCAC is definitely on my list to check out. I should add that I do currently work for UPMC so I am hoping to utilize the tuition reimbursement they do to help. Thanks to everyone chipping in the recommendations and experiences they've had at schools and programs

TSOD t1_iwhit7c wrote

CCAC. Just be aware their deadlines and admissions standards for nursing are different than the rest of CCAC.

Make sure you check out the other programs/jobs at this link. There's a lot of good paying healthcare careers that aren't nursing. That job is not for everyone, and if you're squeamish or just not a people person there's a lot of other good jobs to get (and quicker than a nursing degree too, although with less pay)

https://www.ccac.edu/academics/programs/nursing-and-allied-health/index.php

kirbypuckett t1_iwh45kk wrote

I'm not a nurse, but I've dated a few who got their licenses from RMU.

Not familiar with their program, but what about CCAC?

westinghousesghost t1_iwh6xia wrote

I know 2 people who went thr RMU route as well and they're doing quite well for themselves now

xnick58 t1_iwhfzy1 wrote

I graduated from West Penn school of nursing and highly recommend it. Ive worked for both systems and AHN is the lesser of the two evils.

Neeee-nerrrr t1_iwjtlpp wrote

It’s definitely weird to feel “so old” in class but you will not be alone. Most likely you will find other over 20 something’s. Definitely go for the RN otherwise you will get stuck with basic care (wiping bums and house keeping). Unless you specialize in airway (be prepared for lots of mucus) you will be competing with a large market that doesn’t always treat its staff well.

Small-Cherry2468 t1_iwnbrmx wrote

Look at CCBC's program as well depending on where you live. My coworker's wife began classes in her mid 30's and is now doing VERY well. His daughter is now enrolled in the program.