Submitted by BusinessNobody7080 t3_zuq0nx in pittsburgh

Hey Yinz! I’m a new pittsburgher and I’m wondering if there is someone to call to help temporarily house someone experiencing homelessness in these dangerous temperatures. I just saw someone out begging on Braddock and Penn Ave. Gave him a few bucks but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can do.

Edited to reflect the correct street corner

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Grassyhobo t1_j1kvhqi wrote

I'm homeless, and at this point, you are either prepared for this Artic Blast or you are indoors. I'm glad that you gave him a few bucks, but he knows by now if he can take this kind of cold. It's not child's play. It was -26 degrees in my city. No one can handle that outside without some serious gear.

Amrun90 t1_j1ld79d wrote

The other option is to die. Some people do that.

[deleted] t1_j1lsgo8 wrote

[deleted]

Queasy_Hand4203 t1_j1lvdg4 wrote

Evidence?

ChazMurph t1_j1m8p92 wrote

Hi Queasy - Rusty is right regarding some (but not all) of the panhandlers. There is a 'pimp-like' network that runs the heavy traffic intersections (Liberty Bridge, East Ohio St., etc). I regularly see them get dropped off/picked up out of the same van. It's like dropping kids off at school, only they pass them their backpack, phone, and cardboard sign.

ddesigns t1_j1mdxf0 wrote

I was at the red light at the end of the Rocks Bridge and witnessed one of their shift changes. Guy jumped out of a van, other guy handed him the sign and left.

PunkRockKing t1_j1mfc9h wrote

Omg so it’s like prostitution only they cut out the blowjob you just pay them? Wtf

TurbulentSurprise292 t1_j1ksc8m wrote

I know this article was posted yesterday about warming shelters opening early due to the extreme temps. I’m not sure about other opportunities, but I hope this at least offers a bit more information about what Pittsburgh provides

KentuckYSnow t1_j1ktzpv wrote

You mean Penn Ave and Braddock? There are always people begging there. They have a place to go, but that's a busy intersection which makes it more lucrative to beg.

AmyTea t1_j1kugot wrote

Yeah, it appears they have shifts of some kind as I've seen one being picked up and another being dropped off. It's a lucrative time to panhandle with the cold weather plus Christmas generosity. You can definitely look up the closest warming shelter and give them the address too.

BusinessNobody7080 OP t1_j1kvi3p wrote

I have noticed there’s particular folks at particular times of day, that’s a good idea to have the address on hand and double check that they have somewhere to go.

chad4359 t1_j1kvqra wrote

You can be proud you helped get them their fix before returning to wherever they are staying.

−30

BusinessNobody7080 OP t1_j1kx3yx wrote

Thanks for assuming that every person experiencing homelessness is a drug addict AND assuming that you yourself wouldn’t turn to drugs if you were stuck outside in such extreme weather. You’re a real winner.

alternative-gait t1_j1mnirg wrote

Someone wrote something that totally changed my view. If I'm going to be sleeping under a bridge (or any other roughing-it situation) I certainly wouldn't be doing it sober.

BusinessNobody7080 OP t1_j1kvavr wrote

Yep it was Penn and Braddock - glad to know they have somewhere to go! Thank you.

Disastrous_Swimmer17 t1_j1nmd0a wrote

Even a heavy blanket and a box of handwarmers will help. No comments or questions. Humans being helpful to fellow humans.

ashmac881 t1_j1lxzvo wrote

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but a lot of young adults aging out of foster care experience homelessness and locally, Auberle has a lot of programs to support this. Below is one program, that would allow you to volunteer as a host home for a young person experiencing homelessness. Additionally- bigburgh.com is a huge reason to share with anyone who has needs. It is an excellent resource.

Host Homes

The Auberle Host Homes program can provide short-term (6 months) housing stabilization support and case management to young adults ages 18-24 who are residing with an extended family member, friend/friend’s family, or other non-parent/non-grandparent support as an alternative to entering shelter. In some instances, Auberle may be able to match a young person in need of short-term housing with a community volunteer who is willing to host them. This program can also serve qualifying youth with children.

If you are interested in becoming a Host Home, please contact Madeline McGrady at 412-522-0105 or madelinem@auberle.org.

For more information or to be referred to either program, please contact Allegheny Link at 1-866-730-2368 and inquire about Auberle HOPE or Host Homes.

BusinessNobody7080 OP t1_j1mod5a wrote

This guy happened to be older but I’ll definitely be noting these resources for future reference! Thank you.

ordermaster t1_j1mgbd6 wrote

Please ignore the heartless assholes in this thread that think that any evidence of organized panhandling is reason enough to ignore all homeless people.

ChefGuru t1_j1ljjix wrote

Your heart is in the right place, but it's cute that you think that everyone begging on a street corner is homeless.

BusinessNobody7080 OP t1_j1mo8gd wrote

Homeless or not, no one is going to choose begging in this weather over an office job. Over retail, maybe….retail workers are treated like sh** in this country.

chutzpahlooka t1_j1lypgo wrote

Not sure who to call, but downtown places to go include

Second Avenue Commons https://secondavenuecommons.org/

Smithfield St Winter Shelter (usually open 7pm-7am but currently open 24/7 until the morning if 12/27) 620 Smithfield Street

DryLab8508 t1_j1njozg wrote

Resolve crisis center is right there a block from penn and Braddock. People can walk in and stay the night, even if the rooms are full they can stay overnight on a mat. They may be aware of Resolve.

Powdrtostman t1_j1odxsr wrote

Bigburgh.com has many resources and info

Dry-Yak-3405 t1_j1n7cfy wrote

Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, I work there and they have various programs available, but it depends on several factors.

FightClubAlumni t1_j1w4zw0 wrote

Prayers for anyone that has to face sleeping outside when it is cold. Especially lately. I passed a guy coming back to the Fort Pitt Bridge from Grant St who had on 5-6 hoodies. I hope that he found somewhere warm to go.

Elonmusketeera t1_j1lco3r wrote

Amazing. After just giving Ukraine 45 billion more you’d think we’d have zero homeless here in America and if so, be able to shelter them. Neva any money for that tho 🤔.

−26

cphilbin t1_j1m33hl wrote

Shocking news: you never just have to do one thing.

Elonmusketeera t1_j1mcu8u wrote

I’m sorry. Did we fund and solve homelessness /help poor people here in America? If we did that well then I guess sending hundreds of billions to other countries would be just fine. I don’t understand why it is “political” or “republican” if you literally want to make sure there are no homeless here, adequate housing, before funding other countries homeless. Strange…

cphilbin t1_j1n3unj wrote

I didn’t ever suggest it was republican, allocations of funding is always political though.

I agree with you in many ways, I just think the richest country on earth could solve homelessness and back geopolitical stability if there was the will. I don’t think it is an either or, and I don’t think it would be beneficial to focus on one and ignore the other. Do you think they are a binary choice? Maybe you could explain that, and I will listen.

I hope you continue to push for better services and opportunities to help the homeless community, I hope others will continue to push for those around the world who suffer.

We can want more than one thing, especially when one does not hurt the other.