Submitted by Ok_Usual_8188 t3_zwrave in pittsburgh

My husband is from another country, and he just got approved to work after waiting 3 years for his green card. He can't drive and has little work experience except for his college degree and some volunteer work he did.

He has been searching for any sort of work in Lawrenceville. He's willing to take the bus to work at Strip or Bloomfield etc.

He applied to a dozen customer service jobs he found on Indeed with no response.

Does anyone know any hiring at entry level in the area? We will take any suggestions at this point.

Edit: Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions! We will definitely look into all these locations!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SmellView42069 t1_j1wkmy1 wrote

Tell him to try one of the colleges like Pitt or Point Park. Sometimes they are looking to hire people specifically to deal with foreign students or ESL (English Second Language) students.

LockedOutOfElfland t1_j1xdi8c wrote

Caveat: most of the local universities require three references to apply even for the most grunt level positions, so make sure the applicant knows 3+ people who can be reached to vouch for him.

YinzerJagsNat t1_j1wsljm wrote

For real- apply to PNC: they pay ~$20/hr out the gate for CS reps with language skills and in a year, he can transfer around. I got my start as a phone rep 12 years ago and am in a whole other realm now. It's a fantastic opportunity for immigrants- half my team back then were south American/ north African.

B0bb3r7 t1_j1wd18c wrote

Congratulations on the green card. The process is a real bitch.

What types of skills is he looking to use? What is his degree in? What type of industries is he looking to work in? Customer service is pretty broad.

Ok_Usual_8188 OP t1_j1wej1n wrote

He has a bachelor's in English Literature. He is willing to work anywhere that will take him. He's great with computers, talking to people, and is fluent in 3 languages. He just doesn't have the job experience part that a lot of places are looking for.

youareadream t1_j1wg0jr wrote

Try looking for translator jobs in the languages he is fluent in especially if it’s Spanish or French!

Jazzlike_Breadfruit9 t1_j1wnv4s wrote

Indeed is a crap shoot. Employers have to pay to see job applications past 72 of them being submitted. Because of this they normally reject anyone who isn’t over qualified. I recommend that he applies directly on companies’ websites if he can.

Depending on what languages he knows, he should look into Duolingo.

Neither_Squirrel t1_j1yrro9 wrote

Fluent in 3 languages and an English Literature, keep your eye open for DuoLingo jobs! In the meantime I often see Lola’s Cafe in Lower Lawrenceville hiring, I would assume they make decent tips as well.

throwaway-notthrown t1_j1wz0bf wrote

Plenty of positions at the Childrens Hospital and Im sure West Penn as well.

throwaway-notthrown t1_j1wz7j8 wrote

Also congrats on his green card! My SO also immigrated here recently. The process is a bitch.

Elonmusketeera t1_j1xemgk wrote

Unless you just enter the southern border illegally and get free well everything. Easy breezy.

Such a back hand in the face to the people that do it the right way.

Congrats tho!

−44

throwaway-notthrown t1_j1xp85e wrote

No. The back hand is people like you who villainize the person entering the country blindly. The process we went through was long, hard, and expensive. It's still not over. We had the time to allow for a few year process to go through. Neither of us were sick. We both speak English. We both have jobs that allowed us to afford plane tickets and visa payments. My SO is not from a country where war is going on and he was safe there. But many people do not have any of the privileges we had and choose another option. Even as a documented immigrant, we signed paperwork to ensure that my SO would not be eligible to use public funds, so I don't know what free shit you think undocumented immigrants are getting...

Elonmusketeera t1_j1zqvyh wrote

Ugh. What now?

People that enter the country “illegally” aren’t immigrants. They choose to break American law (as much as you may disagree with that law ).

People that abide by current law which has been in place for years and years the proper way are indeed, “immigrants”. Thought you’d understand the difference :).

−7

Minute_Helicopter_91 t1_j1whxgi wrote

If he’s willing to work at a call center, UPMC’s Central Contact Center is always hiring. The first 6 weeks would be on-site training but after that, it would turn into a remote position. The location for on-site training is the Quantum building down at the South Side Works.

I used to collaborate with that department so I’m familiar with the position details. If interested, feel free to DM me and I can provide the job listing and answer any questions.

[deleted] t1_j1wd977 wrote

What was his degree in? A lot of the places I know in Lawrenceville/The Strip etc. are hiring skilled and experienced labor (mostly tech) but there’s a plethora of restaurants up there too that may need help if he’s willing.

Ok_Usual_8188 OP t1_j1we4mt wrote

He has a bachelor's in English Literature. He is willing to work anywhere that will take him. He would be more than happy to work in a restaurant, but has no experience in working in one. We tried looking at all the local coffee shops to see if they were hiring but didn't see anything.

He's great with computers, talking to people, and is fluent in 3 languages. He just doesn't have the job experience part that a lot of places are looking for.

ahemcee t1_j1wils0 wrote

Busy Beaver is hiring.

thunderballz t1_j1yo0jv wrote

I would love to work at busy beaver as a second job but the old lady cashiers there r always so mean to me :(

[deleted] t1_j1wqv5j wrote

It’s hard starting out, I’m sure he’d be a great asset to anyone but I’d say working in the service industry is the best bet for something immediate. The opening I was thinking of has been filled, but if you can drive up and down the town I’m sure you can find places advertising. I know the weather isn’t great so that might not be a great option - I hope other Redditors are able to help you out more!

ziggyjoe212 t1_j1ynheq wrote

Why is he limited to just 3 neighborhoods? Why not downtown, the place with literally the most jobs?

Ok_Usual_8188 OP t1_j1yuo97 wrote

No way of transportation. Trying to find close by first. Got to make sure there's a reliable way to get to work!

−3

ziggyjoe212 t1_j1z4dt6 wrote

If there is public transportation to the strip then there is 100% transportation into downtown. There are at least 2 buses that go from lower Lawrenceville into downtown, and at least 1 bus from upper Lawrenceville.

IClight69 t1_j20gpfi wrote

The 91 bus run down town from Anywhere on Butler Street.

AgentG91 t1_j1z1ljv wrote

My wife came over with a green card shortly behind her. She’s smart as a whip with a masters degree and knew where she wanted to work. The truth of the matter ended up being that work outside the US is not work to most employers and degrees outside the US are not degrees to most employers. It took a lot of convincing.

She ended up working at Dollar General for 3 months and then got a customer service job and then got a job doing estimates for large scale insurance and after almost 3 years, she finally got to where she wanted to be. Your husband will likely need to “do his time” at any minimum wage job to establish that he’s employable.

Courageous_Chameleon t1_j1z8rxb wrote

Check out UPMC and Pitt. 10-minute bus ride from Lawrenceville and there are plenty of hybrid positions available at both. UPMC tends to have better salaries and would likely value a multilingual candidate more. Pitt has better benefits.

stadulevich t1_j1zhnl7 wrote

Post office def needs help and will pay a little over 20 dollars an hour. Lots of hours. Will prob make 65k ish with all the hours. Can maybe walk to work. Garbage men get paid better but prob harder to get into with union. But, Im guessing they need help too so prob worth it to check. Hundred of other similar jobs. Baggage or any work at the airport and alot of them are union and pay well. Bus goes to the airport.

TangyWonderBread t1_j1zhx4g wrote

All the above suggestions are great, and as a note: definitely consider jobs outside of Lawrenceville/Strip/Bloomfield! The bus connection from Lawrenceville is pretty good, he could easily get almost anywhere within the main "triangle" of Pittsburgh

smilingtriathlete t1_j20ejoq wrote

The case management/dischare planning department at UPMC Presby/Montefiore/Shadyside is hiring right now. There are positions for high school diploma, Bachelors, and Masters level. Message me if you'd like more info!

mamallamam t1_j21p6hc wrote

I belive the 91 goes to fox Chapel. I'm pretty sure the goldfish swin school needs front desk help, and since they get a diverse group of families, knowing multiple languages would be helpful.

Formal_Development_4 t1_j23v04i wrote

The IRS hires people with foreign language skills,they have many remote jobs and the federal government is nondiscriminatory.