Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pghbibliophile t1_j0r2kgw wrote

Following up on the above comment, you’ve tried a variety of meds, but what kind of therapists have you used? Cognitive behavioral? Trauma? Social? Talk based?

I’ve skipped around a bunch of different kinds of therapy, and agree with you that it’s hard to find a match (and then one that takes your insurance, ha!). You can swap out meds with a regular primary care physician, but the treatment you’re actually getting might not be right. I’ve ghosted more than one therapist that just wanted to talk about my issues with my mother, and not about why I was unable to get out of bed for weeks at a time.

noheart120 t1_j0r5bjh wrote

Yes, definitely ask them their preferred type of therapy, their background in that, and if they would be open to exploring and combing different types. CBT and goal oriented were horrible experiences for me. DBT, IFS, and brain-spotting have been life savers though. You maybe also never be "cured" like how a wound would be, but you can be given tools to make it easier in a healthy way.

Evening_Attention_45 t1_j0r6zgz wrote

Can you recommend a therapist experienced in DBT or IFS?

noheart120 t1_j0r7nsf wrote

Ones that I am 100% that have openings right now no, but I have seen Kaitlin Hens Greco (Alliance Therapy) and she was amazing. Had to switch due to her being full and I do not know how long her waitlist is. I am currently seeing Hunter Helsel and she is amazing. I was able to get an appointment right away since someone left, but she did have a waitlist when I originally booked. I believe her waitlist was ~monthish when I made an intake.

edit: Hunter is also very trauma based therapy