Submitted by iheartpgh t3_zz0mus in pittsburgh

Hello r/Pittsburgh - I’ve had a few friends have to pay for sewer line replacements this year and I’m researching sewer line insurance. My insurance argent said to ask PWSA, but they do not offer it.

If you have sewer line insurance - who are you using for insurance coverage? What is the monthly cost? I’ve been told it is $15-20/month.

Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Update - have you have to use your water/sewer line insurance? What was your experience like?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Confident_End_3848 t1_j28qgnf wrote

I get it through Duquesne Light, but I’ve seen People Gas offer the same insurance. It’s $7.50 per month.

pburgh2517 t1_j28qisg wrote

Mine is thru my homeowners insurance.

TransporterOffline t1_j28v2zi wrote

I wouldn't be worried so much about the cost as I would be the claim process. Is anyone willing to chime in about positive/negative claims experiences with these insurers?

woodcuttersDaughter t1_j28xag6 wrote

I use them for coverage. I also have the gas line and indoor plumbing coverage. We actually had an interior sewer line clog and had a plumber fix it. I didn’t realize it would have been covered. The plumber told us they do work through them and I should called American water resources first because it would only have been $50. It does seem worth it for sure.

srpayj t1_j299iuh wrote

My home owners policy has coverage for this

pghdadbod73 t1_j29dfod wrote

Try PAWC ( or whomever your water supplier is )not the PWSA Mine runs about 20 a month for inside and outside coverage.

BmoresFnst t1_j29r2cy wrote

Mine is through homeowners and sewage line had to be scoped before being added to policy.

Had to use insurance when drain got clogged from roots since we have a clay pipe. Had it cleared and lined with some gutter rerouting which was covered by insurance. Insurance co used was Erie. No issues.

sr214 t1_j2arsoa wrote

My home owners, Erie, offers it. Can't remember how much but cheaper than the utility companies.

just_an_ordinary_guy t1_j2bfyo6 wrote

I've heard that some sewer line insurance doesn't require a scope, but you can't use it in the first year or whatever. But the whole scope thing is why I didn't get it myself, because there was a spot repair needed for my sewer line. Then I had a major issue unrelated to the known issue and I had to replace my whole sewer line for a lot of fucking money.

EasyThereOldTimer t1_j2cihfo wrote

I can. It’s a goddamn nightmare. Many of the coverages provided only handle active backups into the home. Homeowners will tell you the basement is not your home. Extra coverage from the gas company will tell you it’s only the line from the exterior wall to the sewer and only covered in case of an active backup. Home warranty will only cover if the pipes are accessible, as in not behind any walls. All three of them will point fingers at each other and send their own cheapo plumbers to tell you it’s not covered.

Hire a claims adjustor, find a reputable plumber and learn about HELOC at your bank of choice. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Plumbing and sewer is notoriously hard to be handled by insurance. If your insurance company offers a ton of riders for plumbing and sewer - pay for them and cover your ass.

CARLEtheCamry t1_j2d4hqt wrote

Got gas line insurance from Columbia, my local provider. At the recommendation of the the tech who turned on my service when I moved in.

Had to use it in less than 2 years of moving in. Gas leaking at the sidewalk, right at the cutoff.

They sent some hillbilly contractors who rented a small back-hoe, and got the job done in a day. Cost me nothing (other than the $3 a month on my bill), my biggest complaint was the grass. I bought and watered good seed, and someone showed up 2 months after just as it was starting to take root and threw some straw/seed down on top of it.

9/10 would recommend.

Flaapjack t1_j2dapy1 wrote

We get ours from peoples and it’s around the same cost, but I believe also covers our gas line too (they often have bundled deals). Make sure to check coverage amount as they are usually capped—ours is 10k.

You can also check with your home insurance company and see if you can add one to your policy.