Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FunLife64 t1_jdram83 wrote

There was an article I think in NY Times about transitioning commercial to residential and how it’s just a disaster.

The Arcade is an interesting example - do people actually live in those? I’ve seen them for sale but they are ridiculously tiny. And not a great example of keeping a building afloat haha

bluehat9 t1_jdw0okw wrote

….you mean compared to when it was totally vacant? Yes, people live there. All of the micro lifts upstairs are condos.

What do you mean not a great example of keeping a building afloat?

FunLife64 t1_jdwr9ge wrote

Yeah that’s why I said I’ve seen them for sale….but given the size sometimes those types of places aren’t primary residences.

I’ve never seen a soul when I go in the arcade. Obviously those condos aren’t housing many people just given their size - guessing most are solo occupied. Hence not a good example of residences contributing to pedestrian traffic!

bluehat9 t1_jdwvmz6 wrote

48 lofts at 1 person per loft is 48 people living in downtown who probably wouldn’t be there if not for the small size and relative affordability. Paolinos “studley” building is 65 micro units and the one next to “the dorrance” is also micro lofts.

I see people coming and going from the arcade pretty often when im walking by. You can enter and exit from either side