Submitted by lovesocialmedia t3_z9t2gj in providence

I will be visiting from New Jersey on Saturday. I've been here before but barely had time to explore the area. I mostly stayed around the Brown University area. I will be mostly staying around the Brown area again as well as the main mall. Please recommend me some good food. As for things to do, I do like nature and don't mind doing things that aren't expensive.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ikimasen t1_iyililb wrote

I've lived up and down the east coast across my life, and Providence is the best eating town I've ever lived in.

theprovidencefelix t1_iyieuco wrote

Lots of good food here. Check out KinPVD for some soul/southern food.

Campbell090217 t1_iyigcm0 wrote

LOVED the food at Kin. It’s small though so it can be tricky if they are busy.

Also for the OP: Providence has some of the best food in New England, plenty of choices! Search Google or Instagram for lots of ideas.

lovesocialmedia OP t1_iyiozaa wrote

Which restaurant do you recommend to get a good idea out of Rhode Island cuisine?

Campbell090217 t1_iyiqprz wrote

Providence Oyster Bar is so good for seafood (which is a big staple in RI). Everything on the menu is delicious.

Locksmith-Pitiful t1_iyizfwp wrote

While I personally don't like them, Chelos for their seafood like calamari, clamcakes, chowder, they helped make RI famous for their seafood. Then, Greggs for ther famous death by chocolate cake dessert.

(You'd like get better quality seafood elsewhere but expect to pay more).

allhailthehale t1_iyigq5w wrote

GeeGees is a good soul food spot.

Things to do downtown-- there will be a partial Waterfire lighting Saturday night and other holiday festivities. Google Three Nights of Lights for details.

BOKEH_BALLS t1_iykl029 wrote

I would be wary of Kin. As someone who grew up in Virginia, NC, MO and has spent time in New Orleans, Kin's food was deplorable. Ive never had unseasoned grits in my life until I went to Kin.

Queen_Axeline t1_iyl6qr7 wrote

Right? Ain't no kin of mine serving naked ass grits...😂

Deso718 t1_iyr6ifa wrote

Yeah Kin was super disappointing - I was really excited to try it out (not many southern-type restaurants in PVD) but it was really mediocre and overpriced. My spouse grew up in the south and loves this type of food, but was also completely let down.

leavingthecold t1_iyj36l0 wrote

Soul Food Restaurants and Restaurants w/ soul food options

Food For The Soul ( longest one open that I'm aware of and cheap ) newer options Gee Gee's and Sommers Corner ( pricey in my opinion) - never eaten at any.

Jamaican restaurants with soul food options Flames and Island House - at at both but never went there for soul food. Both good and average pricing

darekta t1_iyjcqfw wrote

What is Flames all about? Is that Jamacian jerk chicken?

Double-Diamond-4507 t1_iykh48t wrote

Yes. And their oxtail stew is to die for. I always get the oxtail, rice & beans, and fried cabbage. The portions are decent as well. I've tried their jerk chicken, and I was Too White for the spice level of it. The meat pies are nice, too

lovesocialmedia OP t1_iyj5rqf wrote

I've seen Food for the Soul and I'm seeing mixed reviews. However I do want to try out Flames Restaurant

leavingthecold t1_iyjabxf wrote

Food For The Soul yes has mixed reviews never tried myself but might be a budget option. Oh yes Flames not Blaze, definitely the spot even with limited soul food offerings.

Throwaway1231200001 t1_iyjnbqy wrote

The last time I've done food for the soul was 2019 but they were amazing. I'm hoping COVID hasn't changed it

jbs918 t1_iyk5vpy wrote

Transplant from Texas here. Haven't found any great places for soul food, but maybe I should get out more 😀 I've only been to Kin once, but it wasn't good that day.

Non soul food - Tough to go wrong on Atwells Ave in Federal Hill. I really like Providence Oyster Bar (already mentioned previously) and Massimo Ristorante. Constantino's has a nice outdoor area if it's warm enough.

In Downtown Providence, I like Providence Coal Fired Pizza and Mokban Korean Bistro. Rogue Island has decent food. Trinity Brewhouse is OKAY for pub food.

I've heard Circe is really good, but they wouldn't let us eat there because we were wearing tank tops during the summer so take that for what it's worth. Hemenway's if you're looking to splurge. The District I like for brunch.

Alligator65 t1_iyjwegs wrote

I loved La Creperie on Fones Alley off Thayer St when I visited. Delicious indulgent comfort food and not expensive!

Queen_Axeline t1_iyl6m3y wrote

Food for the Soul is the best soul food in town. GeeGees and Kin are okay but the portions are small the prices are high, and the food is lightly seasoned to appeal to the suburbanites who wear Tom's canvas shoes.

If you want the real deal, served in a Styrofoam to go box with a free slice of homemade cake and the familiar ambiance of Gospel music played from a cassette deck you should check out FFTS.

You can trust my judgment. I've got hot sauce in my bag swag.

wyzapped t1_iyjn5ud wrote

We like Andreas for Greek food on Thayer St. near Brown.

ipapaveri t1_iyj8gb4 wrote

Good food picks:

• Persimmon: Beautiful restaurant with a wonderfully warm & welcoming vibe and truly delicious food

• Plant City: Great vegan option (even if you're not vegan). I especially love the Dorados tacos at Besina

• Heng Thai: Best Thai I've had in Providence

iubball90 t1_iyn7hsf wrote

Aguardente, Los Andes, Troop.

d_ruggs t1_j0a68mh wrote

Hit Gee Gees for traditional soul food. The District is another go to. The owner is black… the grits are killer good.

okracolor t1_iyklky2 wrote

The RISD museum is great and has three free admission times! Admission is free on Sundays from 10am - 5pm and Thursday and Friday evenings from 5 - 7pm.