Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j6iz19o wrote

Who would use such a train? Few people in RI are trying to get to Fall River or New Bedford, and there aren’t enough people in that part of MA commuting to Providence to support the costs of operating the line.

FunLife64 t1_j6jv8zg wrote

Yeah this is a train to nowhere. A true high speed PVD to Boston would have 100x the impact.

Hollowplanet t1_j6k2kgg wrote

We have that with Accella. I doubt a maglev from Providence to Boston would ever happen.

[deleted] t1_j6k57ho wrote

Acela is only “high speed” when compared with rush hour traffic on 95. 😁

Hollowplanet t1_j6k5q0s wrote

You're thinking of MBTA. Accella is 150mph and doesn't have to go south at 128 like 95 does.

[deleted] t1_j6k6djw wrote

Acela only hits 150 in a few small stretches. None of those are between Boston and Providence.

In fact, travel time from Providence to South Station on Acela is only a few minutes less than standard Amtrak.

And Acela is expensive… not really viable for a regular commuter.

Hollowplanet t1_j6kh42o wrote

One of those is between Boston and Providence. The other one is in RI. At the Mansfield station it hits 150.

FunLife64 t1_j6mqn0i wrote

It’s not that fast but more importantly also not that frequent.

Hollowplanet t1_j6k2fcp wrote

Exactly. What are trainloads of people going to do in Fall River without cars when they could drive there in a few minutes?

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j6k4vyw wrote

If they ever decided to to make Battleship Cove parking cost $25 instead of $0 and you were the type of person that goes there every single day they're open, this would save you approximately $4500 per year (minus whatever the cost of 180 or so roundtrip train tickets are).

−2

Hollowplanet t1_j6k6i8o wrote

So we're starting a multibillion dollar project banking on people who want to go to Battleship Cove every day. We have to get Battleship Cove to charge $25 for parking while they currently charge nothing while keeping the price of train tickets for a family below the cost to park. Or we'll count on all the people who go to Battleship Cove by themselves. Disregarding the fact that it is Fall River and you can find cheap or free parking everywhere.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j6k6y09 wrote

Well, there is free parking at Battleship Cove, but we’ve already established they have to get rid of that

−2

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j6k4bwi wrote

this is a more eloquent version of my initial reaction "but why tho"

The demand really doesn't exist and the only entity I could really see benefitting is Amazon being able to recruit a larger portion of workers for the Fall River warehouse.