Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YourRAResource t1_j6odwvo wrote

I don't want to discount the fact that his father allowed you to live for free for years, but the reality in this context is that you're absolutely in the right here, and if nothing changes, you're never moving out of his father's house if you stay together. He's content with things as is.

You want to start a family soon? How does that work financially? You want to buy a house? Who's going to give you both a mortgage? To back up, I'm sorry for being blunt here. I'm not trying to pile on. I logically understand that you know this which is why you're here. I'm just validating your concerns.

But let's put things into perspective here. You're paying off nursing school debt. Debt you took on to better yourself and potentially your future family. You made an investment which your career will make worth it in the long run. You're not in financial ruin (unless there's more you left out).

He makes an estimated $12K/year. Listen, there's integrity in every job, and if being a personal trainer is his passion and ultimately opening a gym is his dream, that's great. But dreams don't pay the bills. He's not even paying any bills right now, so where is his money going?

But if he can't even afford to live with his father, how's he going to open a gym? How's he going to buy a house? You're materialistic? You taking on debt for the purposes of getting a great career has ruined you both financially? Even if that's the truth, what's the answer? Just deal with it and continue living as is? This isn't a question of believing in him. What is he doing to achieve his goal?

Let's be real though despite my essay here. The guy's a bum and has no intention of doing anything. He constantly has nothing but excuses. When you're done, he'll have a new excuse. So take a step back and ask yourself if you want a healthy relationship, family, and home of your own? If you do, leave him immediately. Good luck.