Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

taxfraudigy t1_iuiabze wrote

“Then, the drivers of the Jeep, Kia, and Toyota exited got out of their cars, and stood in the roadway, according to Virginia State Police.”

Don’t do this

throwingutah t1_iuie7e5 wrote

I've told my kids that if they're ever in an accident on the highway, to get their cars as far off the road as they can, and then immediately get on the other side of the guardrail.

10000Didgeridoos t1_iuj0dx8 wrote

I had a flat tire on 64 and called the non-emergency number to get a safety vehicle with flashing lights blocking me from behind on the shoulder before I even got out of the car. It took 20 minutes to get there but it's just not worth the risk...let alone getting out and standing in the middle of the highway.

The vdot guy driving the truck said just a month earlier some guy was out in the shoulder because of a car issue up by Afton Mountain. The road was icy and while he was looking at his car, an 18 wheeler lost traction and slid sideways, with the trailer fishtailing like a whip through the shoulder where it smacked this guy into the grass well off the road. He lived but had broken "everything".

FiveTicketRide t1_iuj56b7 wrote

I was in a black ice fender bender years ago on route 29. The other driver and I got out of our cars (I was young and dumb, don’t know about them) which were on the shoulder. We almost immediately realized our mistake and scrambled up a nearby embankment just as the first of several more cars smacked into our vehicles

InterstateExit t1_iujualx wrote

Yeah this was what caught my attention. Why would anyone do that?