Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LostDefectivePearl t1_ixrt7yx wrote

I’m sorry, I don’t know of any. Have you tried antidepressants or other similar medications for your dog? If not, maybe that could help you keep your buddy with you.

Prestigious_Grass_55 t1_ixrzqju wrote

The only thing they will offer is as needed, and it is to knock her out for a bit. It is not a long term option I don’t think? I will call Monday and ask if there is another medication option if I can’t make headway this weekend, thanks!

tt2ps t1_ixs6ai5 wrote

This is a tragic situation. By law, your dog would likely be deemed "dangerous" by the courts with many parameters for keeping it away from people or other animals it could harm. Family member is in local animal control and you won't find a rescue or resource to work with the dog...killing another animal is a no go. Ask your vet what is the best case scenario for this animal if you cannot keep it controlled/confined to ensure the safety of humans or animals around it.

Lilllmcgil t1_ixs7rwk wrote

If you’re on Facebook, Behavior Euthanasia - decision and support is a very helpful community with others in this situation to provide support and resources. I found this group while helping a family member who’s pup was repeatedly savagely attacking and injuring her (level 5 on the Dunbar Bite Scale. We felt so alone in the struggle to care for, and try to help, train, this pup. We also tried everything to find a perfect sanctuary (people call it an”unicorn” place because they are so hard to find, if at all) for this pup, but it just wasn’t out there.

Some advice you will probably get is to find a vet behaviorist (not a trainer). They are expensive and it can be hard to find someone local, but they can offer valuable guidance and can prescribe meds.

sunlightdrop t1_ixschdm wrote

Unfortunately you can't medicate or train a high prey drive out of an animal. If you re-home her you'll just be passing that liability off to someone else.

Time-Depth7953 t1_ixsciso wrote

Please check out CalmK9 in Richmond if you are still up for another trainer. They specialize in aggressive dogs; they are balanced dog trainers that use an e-collar (not fear free, positive reinforcement), so you’ll have to be ok with that. We used them for our dog, and it has been life changing. Best of luck to you…

geekitude t1_ixsdvlo wrote

Sounds like you'd keep her if you could. The only trainer I know in RVA that deals with high drive dogs like that is Brenda at MuttluckRVA. I would reach out to her and see if she has suggestions for working with your dog.

ambitiousbee3 t1_ixt2ujr wrote

I don’t think you can ethically rehome a dog that has killed another pet.

hoki06 t1_ixt58jl wrote

Reach out to Breakthrough K9 out in Mechanicsville to see if they can help. I’ve seen them work with some very aggressive dogs before.

bmg1090 t1_ixt74ko wrote

My vet has my fear aggressive dog on a daily regimen of Prozac and trazodone. This was based on trainer and vet recommendations. The combo has really helped her out. She never killed another animal but she definitely used to attack my other dogs and me and had left some pretty nasty bites on us all. She’s much better with the meds.

banana_pudding5212 t1_ixt7ezx wrote

My family had a similar situation recently. Vet said we could not re-home due to liability and recommended euthanization. We followed that recommendation.

My parents didn't want to take the risk now that they have grandkids. Although we don't regret the decision, grief is a natural and real emotion. Sending you hugs ❤️

bmg1090 t1_ixt7rqq wrote

I also want to add that the vet was pretty apprehensive about doing this at first but I exhausted all of my other options. She always warned me that meds aren’t a cure all - which my dog has her moments still but it’s 100000 times better than it was.

Moxie_58 t1_ixu2ntm wrote

They can't bite with no teeth, she can eat soft food. IDK. 🙁

NuttingOnNutzy t1_ixuny15 wrote

I have a friend who uses an e collar with their dog and it’s helped immensely. It looked like euthanasia was going to be the only option for the dog prior with it’s issues. The e-collar combined with meds and dental work has made their dog safe to be around other animals and select people.

Davidm241 t1_ixutmzt wrote

Same here. Made the same decision. It’s s tough one for sure. Sometimes my wife still has regrets and feels like we failed the dog. But, we spent thousands on training and it didn’t help. The poor dog just had anxiety problems she was unable to overcome.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixv4fyf wrote

Check.out off leash K9 they have high success rates it's costly tho.

I don't know why people.are upvoting the "high prey drive animals can't be trained" bc they can.

sunlightdrop t1_ixvaf0d wrote

I think it's pretty fucked up the lengths people will go to decrease the quality of life in their dogs so much just to selfishly keep them around longer. If your dog bites so much that you need to remove its teeth that dog is miserable.

sunlightdrop t1_ixvbrq6 wrote

Most people agree that a dog that has killed another pet is too great of a liability and BE is the responsible option. You can train a dog and try to distract them when they are triggered but it won't make their nature go away. And if one day you accidentally leave the gate open, or a leash slips out of your hand...someone else could be dead.

NuttingOnNutzy t1_ixvcgvv wrote

If your dog has killed another animal once, it’s a potential danger the rest of it’s life to all living things. Taking precautions to ensure it doesn’t lethally harm another being doesn’t mean it has a low quality life or bites all the time. Their dog is happy, healthy and extremely well trained now. Missing four teeth does not equal miserable to me. In a less responsible owners hands, the dog would of been euthanized and not given a chance to live the life it deserves, just because it was doing what it was breed to do for centuries.

NuttingOnNutzy t1_ixve2af wrote

This is inaccurate information. You can train a dog with a high prey drive. It’s hard work and requires diligence. Saying it’s an impossibility isn’t true and does a disservice to the dogs and caretakers in these kinds of situations.

−1

sunlightdrop t1_ixveweg wrote

It doesn't matter how diligent you are. You won't change its nature. And human beings make mistakes. Even if you try your hardest there's no guarantee your dog won't kill again. It's irresponsible to own such an animal.

NuttingOnNutzy t1_ixvgero wrote

I think it’s selfish to end the life of an animal who isn’t sick or suffering. I believe that when humans made the decision to domesticate dogs, we entered into a cultural pact to care for them, similar to children. Euthanasia is a last resort. I find it sickening how you’re suggesting it as a first resort option for dogs that could have their issues treated with behavioral interventions. When all options have failed, euthanasia is an ethical option.

−5

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvgrvg wrote

Also I have had in my life several high drive dogs, all were trained to be off leash, and none of them ever gave into their prey drive bc they were trained correctly, efficiently and I was consistent w w training.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvjhp9 wrote

Also wrong, all 4 different breeds definitely in the start killed chickens, some barn cats, rabbits, and even the malinois was great at squrriels and birds. And all 4 I got at 1-2 years old from owners that sound excatly like you. Guess what after training they didn't kill a single thing (that's not true 2 of them killed a coyote, but that's 100% acceptable on a farm) and they were always off leash. And alot.of the time.id walk them through Richmond on leash and sometimes off depending on the location.

Again where are you getting your information? Have you owned, trained high prey drive animals? Are you a veterinarian?

−1

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvle7s wrote

Well bc they deserve a fair chance...the fact Thier pervious owners didn't know how to handle or train wasn't the dogs fault. Also you have zero clue what your talking about. And you still can't cite a single source let alone a credible one to back up your opinions.

🤡

sunlightdrop t1_ixvlo32 wrote

I don't recall you citing any sources either, personal anecdotes aren't a source

I just think it's interesting how little some dog owners seem to care about the lives of innocent pets, livestock, and wildlife. They're treated as cannon fodder while dogs always get a second chance.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvrhny wrote

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/how-to-channel-your-dogs-predatory-instincts-on-walks/There you go; while you are right, you can't "train it out of them" (that also sounds like something trump would say) it is certainly controllable and trainable. That's from the AKC, I have more I can keep going........

So stop spreading bullshit about topics you know nothing about to just assert your opinion. "most people agree" lol 🤡