Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cmyk412 t1_iybblh1 wrote

RIP VCC 1991-2022

anony804 t1_iyc2d9q wrote

WHAT HOW DID I NOT KNOW TIHS

edit ugh it's the 90s in me but i hate malls dying. i am so nostalgic for them and love them for some reason. in fact when i travel i get excited to see a new mall. if i had enough money, i'd keep them all in business. i try to go a handful of times a year at least but i know that's not nearly enough. :( but all the memories of walking in them as a teenager and my very own kid asking to go to the movies and walk around for a bit with spending money... i just hate to see them go.

Stitchmond t1_iycoahl wrote

I also hate malls dying but haven't spent much time at a mall myself in a while. I have fond memories of the Southland Mall in Marion, OH. Walking up and down the main hallway with friends, tossing coins in the fountain, KB Toys. The mall also had our town's movie theater, so it was cool to see a late movie and walk out into an empty mall at the end at 11pm and stuff.

anony804 t1_iycolv3 wrote

i try to go but mainly go to chesterfield town center and/or Southpark but i love to explore new malls if i travel. it’s only a few times a year and i know if nobody goes they’re going to close so even though sometimes stuff is cheaper online, i go browse the clearance racks, eat at the food court, stuff like that so at least i am spending a bit even if i’m not enough to sustain it on my own. i figure if most of us who do like them make an effort to show up some it’ll at least give them a fighting chance. so long as they still have some stores worth visiting i will keep going

and also kb toys was the BEST as a kid right up there with toys r us but since it was in the mall it felt super special

theleftenant t1_iycr6jg wrote

My kids have so many of my books with the KB Toys sticker on them. They always had the hot drops of Little Critter books.

OMGEntitlement t1_iyd0nkg wrote

You didn't know it closed because it's been SO LONG SINCE YOU'VE BEEN THERE.

Dudeguy and I were in there back in 2019-ish wandering around and it was already 2/3 empty, smelling like broken HVAC, mildew, and regret.

And that's why malls are closing.

GandhiOwnsYou t1_iyeq829 wrote

It's been way longer than that they've basically been on life support. I moved back to VA in 2013 and went up there on Black Friday to snag some tools from Sears, and that whole side of the road was vacant aside from like 20 cars at Sears. Previously, I think the last time I went was to pick up some Bridal Party gifts for a wedding in like 2010, and a damn good chunk of the stores were either empty or in that generic-rebrand stage where the old chick-fil-a had moved out, but the stall still served chicken sandwiches with a sign that said "Chicken-Burger" in the same font.

flowrpowr00 t1_iyd5st5 wrote

I wasted many hours walking around Regency. I’m an old

JamesBhand-007 t1_iyd9gmt wrote

Mannnn Regency was poppin’ when I was in middle & high school. Definitely my favorite mall growing up.

MuadDave t1_iydesxj wrote

Hell yeah! I remember Mr. Dunderbak's and the smell of strange food.

ExtremeHobo t1_iydugj1 wrote

If you want to travel back in time go to Greenbrier Mall in Chesapeake. I stopped there to charge my car and it's like a weird pocket of Virginia stuck in 2001. The mall was loaded with people walking around, stores were all full, food court had several options, surreal. Even the area around it was full of 90s holdouts like Fazolis and Joe's Crab Shack.

anony804 t1_iye0bv9 wrote

I actually went with my friend maybe a year ago and yeah that one is one of the ones on thin ice

I was surprised at how far MacArthur has fallen too. I used to love to make the trip and drive despite how long it was a couple times a year. Always had cool unique stores like the Sanrio store and last time we went I can’t remember what was actually there but it was nothing that made me want to return

codva t1_iybcqqp wrote

VCC died well before 2022.