Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

skeevy-stevie t1_j6el6am wrote

Back on our Aldi kick lately. Not sure the exact price per pound, but a pack of three breasts was like $11, but the “family pack” of six+ breasts was $14…

I just buy the big one, trim it all on Sunday before trash pickup on Monday. If I use it over the next couple days, cool, otherwise I freeze the rest.

Will use the frozen ones for something in the crockpot or soup or something down the road.

Somewhat related… dozen eggs are $3.99 at aldi.

momthom427 t1_j6fnfrx wrote

I bought eggs and chicken today at aldi. I wasn’t really shopping for chicken, but found two packs of chicken tenders for half price. I cooked them when I got home and shredded it. I made a delicious bowl of chicken salad for dinner tonight and will use the rest in salads or freeze for later. I froze the broth and will pull that out later for soup. A good purchase for $5.

skeevy-stevie t1_j6fsiuz wrote

Chicken salad is on my list of possibilities this week. Easy for lunch and a good way to use it up.

momthom427 t1_j6fth9r wrote

I love it. How do you make yours? When I make it at home, I do a really simple chicken, chopped egg, celery, mayo, a bit of lemon juice, s&p.

skeevy-stevie t1_j6g01gb wrote

I mean, depends what we have, but ideally would be Mayo, red onion, celery, celery seed, salt, pepper. My signature is to smash the hell out of the chicken with the back of the spoon once mixed with everything.

Edit - need tomato in the house for a sandwich, otherwise it’s a wrap with Italian dressing.

Astronaut-Ordinary OP t1_j6g2q38 wrote

Looks like Aldi is a popular choice, thanks :)

My plan is to make a chicken burrito bowl. Wrap it in some tortillas, and hope they’ll last a week.

skeevy-stevie t1_j6g3jk7 wrote

If you’ve got a ton left, wrap them tortillas up in parching paper, freeze them, then take them out and microwave when you want.

Usually make 10-12 breakfast burritos once a month and freeze them for easy access.

Bigwilldog2 t1_j6eig4o wrote

Costco if you have a membership. If not, price it out with the membership. Costco is life.

Astronaut-Ordinary OP t1_j6g2h49 wrote

We’re Sams Club folks.

StayPuftMrshmalloMan t1_j6i6hgv wrote

I don't know the difference between Sam's and Costco prices on chicken but you want to do research, you can buy a gift card to Costco. That way you get in and get their prices without membership

ilovemonkeys33 t1_j6eh7t7 wrote

The fresh market has chicken breast and ground chuck on sale on Tuesdays- 3.99 a pound I think.

KizcoTizco t1_j6ikjya wrote

This person is just asking for help buying chicken why are yall downvoting him? 😭

craftbeerva t1_j6elp0o wrote

Wegmans I believe is 3.09/lb for the family pack which runs $14-$16.

Arcangelathanos t1_j6ekwie wrote

Tom Leonard's will often do $1.99 a lb. I saw a sign for this price on Friday when I drove by.

IroshizukuIna-Ho t1_j6esbof wrote

Tom Leonard's is incredibly shady. Just look up Tom Leonard in the sub

Arcangelathanos t1_j6frxxw wrote

I know. If they want to use chicken as a loss leader, I have no issues walking into the store and only buying that one item.

KDRadio1 t1_j6f15i1 wrote

Well, there goes my evening. Off to seek out information! Lol.

Cerebral-Knievel-1 t1_j6ofvhr wrote

Aside from being a SOB.. they'll often bait and switch items..like..they'll advertise say.. lobster tails for $3 each, and then when you get there, they're tiny and bundled in 5 packs. So now you end up paying close to $20 after taxes for less meat than you would get in a can.

KDRadio1 t1_j6ost3j wrote

1. Canned lobster sounds disgusting. Is it good? Lol.

2. Thanks for the heads up, I went in once because I’m originally from the SW and was craving some Sonoran style Mexican food. Couldn’t find green chilis at other stores in the immediate area. Now I know to avoid them, or at least be vigilant.

Cerebral-Knievel-1 t1_j6ouiw3 wrote

I was using lobster as an example of personal experience.. Canned lobster is perfectly fine if you are using it as part of something larger. It's very much used commercially in restaurants and food production. Raw lobster goes in the can... sealed. And then the heat of pasteurization cooks it in the can.. no worse than canned tuna, crab.. etc.. The crab in take out crab rangoon i can guarantee came out of a can. Wanna make a lobster bisque.. thats a couple cans of tail meat added at the end of the process, so it juat heats up.

A friend of mine also got reamed out and fired on first day by the dude because she was taking a picture of some piping tips.. dude accused her of trying to steal his recipes and threatened to smash her phone.

KDRadio1 t1_j6outfh wrote

What brand(s) do you recommend? I’ve tried canned seafood and it tastes/smells very fishy. I think I was ruined by getting seafood in Alaska but lobster bisque is one of my absolute favorites!

Cerebral-Knievel-1 t1_j6p43yg wrote

I usually just get what my wholesaler has in stock or what's cheapest at the store, honestly.. I also have a restaurant depot card, so same deal..

KDRadio1 t1_j6p5aeq wrote

Ok great, I’ll try it out soon. Appreciate it!

albertnormandy t1_j6epfy6 wrote

Usually Kroger has chicken breast for $2/lb.

JWelchRVA804 t1_j6fexsu wrote

Always worth checking Kroger’s on sale meat bins. Once in a while they’ll heavily discount large containers of chicken breasts, great if you have freezer space.

momthom427 t1_j6fnzzx wrote

I always check the sale meat at Kroger. Awhile back I bought eight packs of organic ground beef for $1/lb. I cooked it all that night a pound at a time and froze it in 1 lb bags. It’s been great for making quick spaghetti, tacos, etc.

IroshizukuIna-Ho t1_j6ese8y wrote

I've never seen it less than $4.50 there

Proper-Ad4006 t1_j6f4v2i wrote

The Heritage Farm ones are $2-2.50 a pound depending on if it's on sale and it's 5 or 6 huge breasts. Comes out to be around $10 for the pack but it's a lot of chicken.

chada37 t1_j6etbvu wrote

Fresh to Frozen Grocery Salvage. Just got perdue large packs with six big breasts per pack for 3.99 each. I bought 4 packs. Ate some last night they were great. You never know what you are going to get there.

kittyTompkins t1_j6fhxcd wrote

This place is amazing for unexpected bargains! Glad to hear the chicken was good.

catmmy50 t1_j6ey38s wrote

Where is this?

toilet_roll_rebel t1_j6ezzz8 wrote

I just looked. It's at 7803 Midlothian Tnpk between Chippenham and Powhite Pkwys.

chada37 t1_j6f2d70 wrote

It's like a food thrift store. You have to go and see what they have but deals go fast. I'll buy something and go back the next day for more and it's gone. And if your grocery store ambiance experience is important to you this is not your kind of place.

Astronaut-Ordinary OP t1_j6g3bvq wrote

Good idea! And it’s close to me. Like u/chada37 was saying, you’ve gotta walk in there with an open mind. There’s something new every day. You might even walk out with things you didn’t even go there for.

momthom427 t1_j6fqw00 wrote

Costco roasted chickens are a great deal, too. Sometimes I buy one and can eat various meals from it for a week. It’s a time saver, too.

STREAMOFCONSCIOUSN3S t1_j6eykbt wrote

The best tasting and best texture chicken breast is going to be the Bell & Evans at Whole Foods. However it's pricier at $8/lb

GMUcovidta t1_j6ftbp3 wrote

Fresh Market on Tuesdays $3/lb and it actually tastes like chicken

CapWV t1_j6ldwin wrote

Aldi! On Sunday I got packs of two chicken breasts (boneless) for 50 percent off so like 3.50 per pack!

ValidGarry t1_j6mfaa9 wrote

Just get them from Walmart. Sheesh.

youtubeaddict79 t1_j6eh525 wrote

If you have a Harris Teeter close by, they have family packs on sale for $2.99/pound. Sign up for a evic card.

−4