Submitted by Material_Afternoon15 t3_10lubb3 in rva

Looks like I'm going back to Virginia for work again soon with a few days of free time. I keep finding conflicting information on Virginia's marijuana laws so figured it'd be best to ask the people who live there lol. Can I order from a dispensary and have it delivered to my hotel room? Will they accept out-of-state IDs? I'm mostly interested in edibles and CBD oil, but I'm not sure even sure if they're legal there. Is it medical only, semi-legal, or fully legal?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

We3dmanreturns t1_j5z01oi wrote

You got to go on IG and find a grey-market delivery service, their product will be at least 10x better (and cheaper) than anything you get from corporate cannabis.

DefaultSubsAreTerrib t1_j5zlt8j wrote

I was just kvetching about instagram in another thread, and now I learn I need IG for weed too? What has become of this world!?

We3dmanreturns t1_j5znpjk wrote

It’s the easiest way to find popups and delivery services, you don’t have to post anything, the services are really easy to find and once you find 1-2 the algo starts feeding you more (just don’t do mail because those guys rip you off most of the time.) I don’t know what to tell you.

Not sure what you have to learn to use IG, it’s made for idiots. Today, there are people in Alabama smoking brick weed tar scraped from the inside of a metal pipe they bought from a guy they’ve known since high school, and all you have to do is make a burner IG account.

Blasthardcheeez t1_j5zw6lj wrote

You just need it to find a couple of good services and then you can delete the account like I did.

invaderzim257 t1_j60hqer wrote

you can manage a Reddit account; use the same login if you’re struggling that much. If it has come up multiple times in one day then maybe it’s more useful to you than you think it is.

BeeFxBaloney t1_j5zluo7 wrote

Piggybacking on this LeafedOut is good too. Obviously only buy from people that are rated 5 stars.

TheLombardyKroger t1_j5z1hgz wrote

AFAIK The only cannabis “stores” here are medical dispensaries that require a medical card. Basically it’s legal to possess and grow here (with restrictions) but not yet legal to sell or “trade” recreationally here.

Danger-Moose t1_j5z3auq wrote

You cannot order from a Virginia dispensary if you are not a Virginia resident with a valid Virginia medical marijuana prescription from an approved provider. Virginia does not recognize any other states' prescriptions.

chexsmix96 t1_j5zaycv wrote

If you are looking for delivery and are okay with the “grey area” market here, I have a couple that I regularly order from. And trust me..I’m SUPER cautious about stuff like that and have never had a problem with these small businesses.

jodyhighrola t1_j5ze2e0 wrote

Same. I thought for sure the entire law enforcement world was going to converge on me the first time I used one of the Instagram services. It's been totally fine. Really nice people too.

Edit: before I get DMs asking who I use, these relationships are fragile af. Can't share that with strangers on the web unfortunately.

braque_mustapha t1_j5zfgml wrote

Third for IG, I've had great success once I found the right service

[deleted] t1_j5zhteb wrote

[deleted]

liza_spinelli t1_j5zj9tb wrote

Go to a local market/festival and there will usually be vendors. A vendor was actually handing out business cards at the VMFA one Friday evening earlier when it was warm out. They want business, so they're going to be where the people are. Good luck!

chexsmix96 t1_j60mb8c wrote

I’ve used a lot of different ones that have been terrible. So just be aware of that. But it’s all about networking. If you want any recommendations just DM me.

fusion260 t1_j5yziww wrote

gLeaf, the licensed dispensary here in RVA with a few locations, does deliver but only if you're already an established patient with them. They'll require you visit them in person first.

I'm fairly certain they only accept patients that have a valid letter of authorization from a physician here in Virginia and do not accept out-of-state letters/medical marijuana licenses.

You can, legally, have someone gift you some of their personal products as long as it's not a part of a financial transaction or exchange of goods/services. Meaning, I'm fairly sure you can have a friend buy some from gLeaf, and then gift it to you.

Hopefully the VA GOP stops blocking progress and finally passes legal retail recreational sales here in the state soon.

Danger-Moose t1_j5z357t wrote

> You can, legally, have someone gift you some of their personal products as long as it's not a part of a financial transaction or exchange of goods/services. Meaning, I'm fairly sure you can have a friend buy some from gLeaf, and then gift it to you.

You can share marijuana:

> no civil or criminal penalty may be imposed for adult sharing of an amount of marijuana that does not exceed one ounce or of an equivalent amount of marijuana products.

I'd be interested to know the rules for prescribed marijuana, it seems like a trivial difference but I could see someone reacting stupidly to that.

fusion260 t1_j5z72ni wrote

I wondered the same, but as far as I can tell, medical marijuana is essentially considered the same as regular marijuana once it's purchased and taken out of the store.

IIRC, the "prescription" definition for medical marijuana was just a way to work it into the then-state regulated Board of Pharmacy portion of getting a license. Since the state subsequently dropped the requirement of a patient registering with the state to get a card from them, I don't think it'd be the same as giving someone your prescribed medication from a regular pharmacy.

theboyfromphl t1_j5z233o wrote

The weed situation here is still a grey area. You can only get deliveries from sketchy people via Instagram (buddy of mine had a bad experience doing this). Otherwise, your only options are places that require medical ID (gleaf), or places that only sell “Delta 8” (THE Dispensary in Richmond across from The Jefferson Hotel).

It’s so frustrating especially after coming back from a state where you can actually order any weed products on “Weed Maps” or “Uber Weed” recreationally.

Material_Afternoon15 OP t1_j5z2m6g wrote

So I can buy from a dealer, but can't go to a dispensary? That's wild lol.

BubbleWrapGuy t1_j5z4ahj wrote

> So I can buy from a dealer

Not legally, no. The grey-market situation that exists in DC was specifically written out here in Virginia -- You can't buy stickers and receive gifts of bud. HOWEVER, that does not stop these types of delivery services from existing. I use one of these services and they've always been on point, but I imagine for every 1 good service there are 4 bad ones. Buyer beware.

McFlare92 t1_j5z5oln wrote

Gotta go grey market on Instagram/discord. It's not legal but that hasn't stopped the businesses from operating that way like they do in DC

[deleted] t1_j5z8oz4 wrote

[removed]

rva-ModTeam t1_j5z9wdf wrote

Your comment has been removed as it may place users or the community at risk of fines, arrest, harm, termination of employment, or other legal/criminal repercussions.

While you can mention dealers in generic details or a basic way of finding one (e.g., "search on [platform]), we cannot keep a comment up recommending a specific unauthorized source or service that can get someone in trouble. This policy will likely change when recreational retail sales are legal in Virginia.

Offering the sale, trade, or exchange of prohibited or illegal content in any manner is not allowed per Reddit's policy.

[deleted] t1_j6nrkkh wrote

[removed]

rva-ModTeam t1_j6nwkj1 wrote

Your comment has been removed as it may place users or the community at risk of fines, arrest, harm, termination of employment, or other legal/criminal repercussions.

While you can mention dealers in generic details or a basic way of finding one (e.g., "search on [platform]), we cannot keep a comment up recommending a specific unauthorized source or service that can get someone in trouble. This policy will likely change when recreational retail sales are legal in Virginia.

Offering the sale, trade, or exchange of prohibited or illegal content in any manner is not allowed per Reddit's policy.

[deleted] t1_j6150aa wrote

[removed]

rva-ModTeam t1_j61aimq wrote