Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pspahn t1_j7x6iax wrote

They say heparin, but is enoxaparin/lovenox the more specific name?

So instead of daily injections you could take low dose aspirin instead?

My wife is not going to be happy about the timing of this news (pregnant and taking lovenox.)

−3

80Lashes t1_j7xdr1y wrote

No, heparin is different from Lovenox (enoxaparin) which is called low molecular weight heparin. But heparin is still given subcutaneously (shot) or intravenously (IV).

pspahn t1_j7xh24p wrote

Right, the title says LMWH and I'm wondering if they should have just said enoxaparin. Is LMWH and enoxaparin the same thing?

Substance___P t1_j7xl5gg wrote

Enoxaparin is a drug in the sub-class of drugs known as low-molecular weight heparins.

braindrain_94 t1_j7xnxn9 wrote

Enoxparin is one a several formulations of LMWH. But I think it’s the most widely used.

Also unless your wife has lower extremity fractures this article doesn’t apply to her so she can rest easy.

lalapine t1_j7xecob wrote

Heparin is a bit different than lovenox. I was having a weird reaction to lovenox but did fine with heparin. Heparin is shorter acting so usually is taken more often than lovenox (twice daily instead of once daily).

sciolycaptain t1_j7xp26m wrote

Please read beyond the headline. This paper was studying clot prevention in a very specific patient population, those who had bone fractures in the lower extremity. It excluded pregnant patients, because almost all studies exclude pregnant patients.

Your wife taking LMWH is probably for a very different reason. Aspirin should be avoided in later pregnancy unless advised by your physician.

rabb1thole t1_j7xt7hs wrote

I was on Lovenox for a over a year. It ended up causing significant bone loss. My primary doctor never mentioned this risk to me; it was disclosed when I went in for lab work. I have always been a clotter though. I now take only aspirin. I'm just sharing MY experience with it; not trying to dispense medical advice or cause fear. I urge your wife to talk to her doctor and perhaps have bone density before / after tests.