Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ixm01ws6 t1_j9h114w wrote

water and air is fine in east palestine, nothing to worry about folks.

dr-freddy-112 t1_j9ilqs9 wrote

I don't think they're talking about conspiracies that seem likely or are common. Probably more akin to Pizza Gate, Flat Earth, and things like that.

check_out_my_wood t1_j9kzhyz wrote

Right and this is part of the problem. Applying "conspiracy theory" to any topic – even the ones that have an incredible amount of empirical and official evidence – lumps everyone into the "crazies" group.

I don't believe the earth is flat, but I'm often suspicious of our government's motivations. These are not the same thing, but treating them the same keeps people away from spending any time forming an informed opinion.

dr-freddy-112 t1_j9kzz0b wrote

I'm suspicious of some of the things surrounding 9/11. I'm suspicious of the train derailments and believe that it might be related to domestic terrorism that our government is keeping quiet while they investigate. I'm suspicious of our government in general.

But without enough evidence to make a factual claim, I'm going to keep that as a suspicion and not run around claiming that it's a fact. I think that's what separates reasonable suspicion from conspiracy theorists.

Cult_ureS t1_j9leimw wrote

> I'm suspicious of the train derailments and believe that it might be related to domestic terrorism that our government is keeping quiet while they investigate. I'm suspicious of our government in general.

Did you know The Bureau of Transportation Statistics records 54,539 train derailments between 1990 to 2021, an average of 1,704 per year?

> But without enough evidence to make a factual claim, I'm going to keep that as a suspicion and not run around claiming that it's a fact. I think that's what separates reasonable suspicion from conspiracy theorists.

Most people think the same, until it hits mainstream or alt media and their social group starts repeating it, then suddenly it's nearly indisputable fact to them.

We can be suspicious of the government, and we can be suspicious of media, but it's important to realize when things seem to be synchronously happening, and have been in the media at the same time, that it's likely not the cause/effect we may think it is.

‘If a lie is only printed often enough, it becomes a quasi-truth, and if such a truth is repeated often enough, it becomes an article of belief, a dogma, and men will die for it.’

InfraCanuck t1_j9jexev wrote

Conspiracy theories. Not actual environmental disasters.

FollowKick t1_j9jgzvf wrote

Right. The conspiracy theory here would be “They caused the chemical spill on purpose.”

BuffaloOk7264 t1_j9k8r87 wrote

There’s also that a conspiracy to neglect safety maintenance through attacking unions and profit maximizing are destroying infrastructure and killing communities and individuals.

psilocybinjellyfish t1_j9hqfko wrote

Maybe people who think otherwise should try being less anxious and paranoid. Drink the water and breathe the Ohioan air, you schizophrenics!!

LandmassWave t1_ja521w9 wrote

The EPA said it's safe and only Putin loving magats would question the government.