Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

seaspirit331 t1_j9prlxp wrote

Unsurprising if you look at it from a game logic perspective. Let's say you're in a tough position in a video game (dying of starvation) that has a completely different win condition (passing on your genes). As long as you have a relatively decent chance of winning the game on the spot, it's better to go for it rather than trying to dig yourself out of a bad position and hope for the chance of winning the game later on.

Over time, it makes sense that game-winning behaviors take precedence over some survival behaviors, since those are the behaviors that are rewarded with passing on their genes.

Timely-Huckleberry73 t1_j9r6kbr wrote

Also mates are generally much more scarce than food (especially for non-carnivores). If a mouse was to pass at a chance to mate in order to eat who knows when it would have a chance to mate again, but if a mouse were to pass at a chance to eat in order to mate it is very likely that it would be able to find some food soon after.

comradesean t1_j9rh26v wrote

And after enough time passes you can just eat the babies. om nom nom

Timely-Huckleberry73 t1_j9rifei wrote

An animals first store of energy is glycogen, it’s second is fat and it’s third is babies

AmethystRealm2049 t1_j9s4zd5 wrote

Seriously. You mean I get to avoid the responsibility of being a parent AND I GET A SNACK?!

TBruns t1_j9r3oqc wrote

This is an incredibly interesting thought that I never had. Thanks

NefariousnessNo484 t1_j9s5upn wrote

Doesn't that only make sense if you are male and your species has no parental care or difficult gestation period?

Awellplanned t1_j9t6tto wrote

And banging on a full stomach leads to bloating, burps, farts, and cramps. It’s better to go in ravenous and then celebrate with a big meal and a nap after. These mice know what’s up.

yallxtrippin t1_j9u5l6t wrote

Also, sex is probably more satisfying than eating leaves and random bits of human trash