Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LigottiKnows t1_j2kye77 wrote

India, Indonesia, Nigeria, Brazil, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Columbia...etc.

Just some countries of hundreds of millions of people with democracy/capitalist systems which don't, apparently, qualify as "liberal democracies". They don't have largely negative view of China and, except for Ethiopia and Columbia, are all larger than Russia.

Spain is apparently 50-50.

Of course, of "non-liberal" "non-democratic" countries there are Iran, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.

There's a big world out there.

calumin t1_j2l1du9 wrote

From the article:

“We suggest that this new cleavage cannot be reduced to simple economic interests or geopolitical convenience. Rather, it follows a clear political and ideological divide. Across the world, the strongest predictors of how societies align respective to China or the United States are their fundamental values and institutions – including beliefs in freedom of expression, personal choice, and the extent to which democratic institutions are practised and perceived to be legitimate.”

So the author is taking a pretty big swipe at all those countries you mentioned.

MochiMochiMochi t1_j2l4qlk wrote

Many of them were colonized. There is no example quite like China of a people shaking off centuries of exploitative European control and horrific invasions from foreign armies to finally emerge as a superpower in their own right.

That positive view might be largely admiration, if not affection.

CyberneticSaturn t1_j2lm6qn wrote

Tell me you don’t understand Chinese history from the rest of Asia’s perspective without telling me you don’t understand Chinese history from the rest of Asia’s perspective.

None of the Asian countries around China view Chinese history in that manner. They view it as a colonizer that got beaten at its own game.

MochiMochiMochi t1_j2myk7j wrote

Vietnam might, sure. And as well as the Philippines. I'm thinking more about Africa and South America and most notably any country buying arms from China.

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j2mh6qj wrote

Yeah I'm sure Japan sees China as a colonizers, good take.

−4

calumin t1_j2l5aee wrote

That is not what the author is attributing positive views of China to be based on.

From my earlier quote from the article, he’s attributing it to 1) lack of belief in freedom of expression, 2) lack of acknowledgement of personal choice, and 3) a poor development of democratic institutions or belief in their legitimacy. And presumably, some kind of affinity to governments that are characterized in such ways.

SplitPerspective t1_j2l701i wrote

The study author seems to be quite biased. You can tell in the verbiage and tone of the labeling.

calumin t1_j2lgmkx wrote

Maybe the whole article, including the facts highlighted in the title, need to be questioned.

fanghornegghorn t1_j2mh107 wrote

Sure. You either believe that democracy and human rights are valuable, or you don't.

Freschledditor t1_j2lthh8 wrote

Or maybe you're biased? If you have a problem with the data, then show it.

−6

Freschledditor t1_j2ltqmt wrote

Uh, what? Typical anti-Western propaganda nonsense... China remained generally uncolonized. They had their own internal wars for millennia, and it culminated in the current very oppressive regime, inspired by russia's very oppressive regime, with russia also never really being colonized. Hong Kong, meanwhile, despite actually being colonized, is much more democratic. At least it was, until China's recent meddling.

DefNotaZombie t1_j2m8z4d wrote

That's a very scientific jargon way to say "they're against us because they hate democracy"

−1

adiking27 t1_j2lyyl0 wrote

I am surprised India doesn't have a Largely negative view towards china. We have many political differences here but the only thing we can agree upon unanimously is that china is indeed gay (not to badmouth gay people). And Xi jing ping is Winnie the pooh.

−8