Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_j4swjer wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Latyon t1_j4szgei wrote

What is "resilience" in this context? I don't see an explanation

Ray_Pingeau t1_j4t3jln wrote

And now many of those pets picked up during the pandemic are in shelters

dzoefit t1_j4t466h wrote

If you lack resilience, you might dwell on problems, feel victimized, become overwhelmed or turn to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as substance abuse, eating disorders or risky behaviors

angroro t1_j4t7wk8 wrote

My cats were over the moon about it. No more rotating feeding schedules, no more exhausted mom, no more days without a seizure buddy. Both of my cats with disorders did so much better. Bean got over her behavioral disorder and her twin sister got more regular physical therapy which improved her mobility and subsequently her mood.

There were some tensions when I had to go back to work, but most of the benefits from my time home have stayed. No regression for either kitty for the most part!

tiletap t1_j4tchyp wrote

Shenanigans. I'm resilient af, and my dog still benefited my well-being.

dimmu1313 t1_j4tg90p wrote

I absolutely would have unalived myself without my cat

metler88 t1_j4top01 wrote

My job won't let me have a pet :(

peteypeteypeteypete t1_j4ttdci wrote

> While 95% of pet owners said that their pets offered them emotional comfort, and 88% said their pets had a positive impact on their lives during the pandemic, pet owners did not differ from non-pet owners in their well-being scores. However, among respondents with low resilience, having a pet was tied to higher positive feelings. Those with low resilience disagreed with statements such as “I tend to bounce back quickly after hard times.”

Gary_Vigoda t1_j4ud9km wrote

My dog absolutely saved my sanity during the pandemic. He passed away a couple of months ago which messed with my mental state a lot more than I thought. I've since adopted a new pup and we're getting along good. Pets are the best anti-depressant.

Ad_Honorem1 t1_j4uqwu9 wrote

>Study suggests that pet ownership is tied to improved well-being during the pandemic, but only among people with low resilience.

Ouch... What a catty, judgemental way of phrasing it.

petrichorgasm t1_j4utxyu wrote

I adopted my friend's pandemic pup when I found out my friend was going to give him away. I had bonded with the dog, helped with the dog's separation anxiety (a rescue), and completely adore him. I'm still mad at my friend, but my dog still loves him, so, I keep it to myself.

JonWinstonCarl t1_j4uwsbr wrote

This study has a lot of assuming phrases built into it, like saying people who love animals are lonely and are "people substituting." I think a much more clear assumption to make from this data would be that people who consider themselves of lower resilience are more conscious of their coping mechanisms.

Adavis72 t1_j4v9har wrote

My dog died a month into the pandemic. My dad, who was very close with that dog, died a few months later. If not for my cat my home would be too quiet now.

HeroOfTime_99 t1_j4wxx6z wrote

Yeah, there's 6 stats now and have been around for several years. It's Mobility, Resilience, Recovery, Discipline, Intellect, and Strength. Mobility is jump height and strafe speed, resilience is flinch resistance and a bit of damage reduction, recovery is health Regen speed. Discipline is grenade timer, interject is super timer, strength is melee timer. I've been out of the game for about 4 months and I think there's a few nuances I'm missing but that's the gist. It's honestly too much. Endless grind for the sake of endless grind.

insaneintheblain t1_j4zc8ol wrote

Ie. to extraverts - people who require the presence of others in order to no be crushed by their absence of inner life.